Citroen Jumper/Relay 2.2 pre 2012 !!!! (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
ref my earlier posting re "we think our turbo has bust"
Well the turbo is fine.

The problem is that we should have had notification that there had been a recall on the engine in 2012 and the problem we have now is that it appears, from what I could make out from the mechanic at our Citroen garage, is that an injector has dropped and punctured a hole in a piston. Short story is . . . . The engine is bust and needs replacing.
We are, via the main dealer, now in negotiation with Citroen to get some compensation. One of the main draw backs is that we use a friend who is a mechanic at another garage to do our servicing privately and Citroen will not recognise this as following their maintenance schedule even though it has been carried out within the specified time scale.
So a hard lesson learnt today. . . . . . . Saving a few pounds by not using a main dealer for servicing is likely to cost us around 11000€
Anyway, if anybody has a pre 2012 Citroen Jumper/Relay engine in their vehicle, or a Ford Puma it might be worth while checking it has had the 2012 recall work carried out

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I can't find any reference to this recall on the net, there is one for oil pump failure, affecting the Euro 5 spec 2.2 engine, build dates 1/10/2011 - 4/10/2013, perhaps you would be good enough to post the relevant TSB regarding this recall if you can obtain it.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Further to the above, there seems to have been a PCM software update available, which prevents this issue, only available at a main dealer of course.

The problem seems to be caused by the injector (s) overfuelling, cured by the PCM update.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Ouch! You have been thinking about a new van pity you didn't do it sooner.
Good luck with the search for a S/H engine even that will probably put a big dent in your wallet.

How bad is the damage, if the bores aren't scored & the crankshaft is OK I would have thought a new piston and possibly a new head will fix it. Obviously main dealers can't be bothered with re-building engines but does your mechanic know a good engine builder?

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
@Scattycat Feel sorry for you guys:cry: I hope you can get a rebuild as opposed to a new engine.
Has your mechanic stamped the service book at the appropriate servicing intervals? Maybe someone on one of the French camping-car forums can assist you.
Good luck

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Ouch! You have been thinking about a new van pity you didn't do it sooner.
Good luck with the search for a S/H engine even that will probably put a big dent in your wallet.

How bad is the damage, if the bores aren't scored & the crankshaft is OK I would have thought a new piston and possibly a new head will fix it. Obviously main dealers can't be bothered with re-building engines but does your mechanic know a good engine builder?
Hi Lenny,
Should have changed the van when I first thought about it.
Yeah I know, hindsight is a womderfull thing, I've lost count of the times it would have saved me a fortune.
Only the other week we trailed around about half a dozen dealers looking at loads of vans even quite a few that were out of our price range, but we found nothing that came close enough to the layout and feel etc of our 7090, so we had resigned ourselves to keeping it. Now there is no option given the cost to replace the engine.
As for a recon, the van is at a main dealers and there is now way they will do that. I did ask about them making relevant repairs but it seems the engine had seized and one cylinder and piston had fused together.
The cost involved in sorting that out was only a couple of grand less than a new one.
Hey, it's only money.
Time to talk to the bank me thinks. LOL

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
@Scattycat Feel sorry for you guys:cry: I hope you can get a rebuild as opposed to a new engine.
Has your mechanic stamped the service book at the appropriate servicing intervals? Maybe someone on one of the French camping-car forums can assist you.
Good luck
The van has been serviced a couple of times within the service period but Citroen won't accept this as the guy was not a registered business.
So even if I had done the work myself they would not have accepted it.
A rebuild?
I reckon that by the time I get the van towed to an independant garage and then sort out a 'decent' rebuild there would not be much more than a couple of grand between them and the dealer doing it, at least with the dealer sorting it all out we'll have a more reliable warranty on it.
Also, if, there is ever another recall we should be on the list thereby overcoming part of the problem we have now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Really sorry to hear that Mike, I was hoping you would find a much cheap fix.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I hope that your negotiations with Citroen go well but would of thought that the fault actually amounts to a manufacturing defect. If this is the case, no servicing whoever did it would have made any difference.
Unless Citroen could show that visiting a main agent would have guaranteed the recall work being completed, I cannot see how they (the dealer) can avoid responsibility for supplying goods unfit for purpose.
I am unclear if you bought it in the UK and/or new and how many miles it has done but if it's all UK supplied etc, you should have possible redress in the County Court.
Good luck.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
I hope that your negotiations with Citroen go well but would of thought that the fault actually amounts to a manufacturing defect. If this is the case, no servicing whoever did it would have made any difference.
Unless Citroen could show that visiting a main agent would have guaranteed the recall work being completed, I cannot see how they (the dealer) can avoid responsibility for supplying goods unfit for purpose.
I am unclear if you bought it in the UK and/or new and how many miles it has done but if it's all UK supplied etc, you should have possible redress in the County Court.
Good luck.

This engine was subject to a PCM update, which cures the overfuelling issue as previously stated, & one would hope the main dealer would have applied it when it became due.

I can find no evidence of an official recall.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
This engine was subject to a PCM update, which cures the overfuelling issue as previously stated, & one would hope the main dealer would have applied it when it became due.

I can find no evidence of an official recall.
This is why I think they should have a good case. There is no legal reason to use the official agents as long as the service is done to the manufacturers specification and if the recall was not an official recall then the owner could not be 'reasonably' expected to know.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have a 07 pug 2.2 had it three years never been near any garage, since and nothing in service that came with it, should I be looking into it.

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
How much pre 2012 are we talking
Sorry I don't know the answer to that only Citroen garaged pulled up the info on their computer the entry just stated that there was a recall in 2012.
If you are concerned about your engine it might be worth contacting your local dealer

OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We have a 07 pug 2.2 had it three years never been near any garage, since and nothing in service that came with it, should I be looking into it.
Our van was manufactured in 2007 and registered in 2008.
we have the same problem re previous service history even though we bought it from a Rapido agent here in France.
Service schedule says it should have an oil change every 40000km or 2 years which ever comes first.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I agree that this was a defect in the original vehicle and you have not been notified so I would fancy my chances in a claim against Peugeot via the original selling dealer. That's assuming this would be under UK law and not French law which I don't know. Surely manufacturer's have a duty to notify the original purchasers and converters their dealers and dealers should notify their customers!

Wholly unreasonable response by Citroen especially as there appears to be scant evidence that the recall has even been publicised!

Why not ask someone like Honest John at the Daily Telegraph?

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
I agree that this was a defect in the original vehicle and you have not been notified so I would fancy my chances in a claim against Peugeot via the original selling dealer. That's assuming this would be under UK law and not French law which I don't know. Surely manufacturer's have a duty to notify the original purchasers and converters their dealers and dealers should notify their customers!

Wholly unreasonable response by Citroen especially as there appears to be scant evidence that the recall has even been publicised!

Why not ask someone like Honest John at the Daily Telegraph?
Scattycats van is French so UK law does not apply.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
ref my earlier posting re "we think our turbo has bust"
Well the turbo is fine.

The problem is that we should have had notification that there had been a recall on the engine in 2012 and the problem we have now is that it appears, from what I could make out from the mechanic at our Citroen garage, is that an injector has dropped and punctured a hole in a piston. Short story is . . . . The engine is bust and needs replacing.
We are, via the main dealer, now in negotiation with Citroen to get some compensation. One of the main draw backs is that we use a friend who is a mechanic at another garage to do our servicing privately and Citroen will not recognise this as following their maintenance schedule even though it has been carried out within the specified time scale.
So a hard lesson learnt today. . . . . . . Saving a few pounds by not using a main dealer for servicing is likely to cost us around 11000€
Anyway, if anybody has a pre 2012 Citroen Jumper/Relay engine in their vehicle, or a Ford Puma it might be worth while checking it has had the 2012 recall work carried out

I have my Ford dealer working on this now for you & will update when I get the info from him (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back