Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everybody
Would someone be good enough to run me through what the page on calor site is telling me under the spec tab, it's about a 13 kg bottle, I was under the impression it took 26ltrs when full someone told me it can only be filled to 80% which I think works out to 21.8ltrs.
The main ones in the list I wondering about is
TARE WEIGHT (EMPTY) 12.7-21.9kg
GROSS WEIGHT (FULL) 25-35kg
What are these telling me?

The link is below if you want to look at it.

https://www.calor.co.uk/13kg-propane-gas-bottle.html

Many Thanks Tony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They are sold by the weight of gas in the bottle a 13kg bottle will have 13 kg (25.5Lt) of gas in it, the internal volume will be around 31.9Lt.
The tare weight is the weight of the empty bottle, I think the reason it is such a wide range is to cover different constructed bottles. When you exchange a bottle the exact tare weight will be on a plate on the collar of the bottle.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
They are sold by the weight of gas in the bottle a 13kg bottle will have 13 kg (25.5Lt) of gas in it, the internal volume will be around 31.9Lt.
Thanks for that Lenny I suppose that is the case for all bottles 11kg etc will be around 27.5lt total internal volume.
I don't see why they don't put this bottle will hold " " so many litres of gas and be done with it after all we don't say my fuel tank will hold "" kgs of fuel do we, we know exactly what we are getting with out the ambiguity, Or Do We. lol
Best Wishes Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I sincerely hope you are not going down the self fill route, its really not worth the hassle and risk
If your not except my apologies

But
For those that might like to try self filling
Often the only time you will know when you have over filled either by poor maths or failing to allow for possible temp effects is when you turn on your gas appliance only to get pure liquid gas out of the jets and that liquid will expand at an alarming rate inside your vehicle. i read something approaching 80 x its liquid volume:doh:
LPG has an explosive range of 1.8% to 9.5% volume of gas in air.
This is considerably narrower than other common gaseous fuels. This gives an indication of hazard of LPG vapor accumulated in low lying area in the eventuality of the leakage or spillage.
That in simple terms means with just a 2% mix in the atmosphere you have a very real BOOM scenario this will all happen in mili seconds and with an auto ignite system already clicking away
Guess what!!
What I find so scary is some will come on here and say they have done it for years with great success:clap2:
Ever wondered why you never see a "I tried and it failed post" :Eeek:
G
Ps sorry for the Hijack

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
... the exact tare weight will be on a plate on the collar of the bottle.
Be aware that the tare weight on that silver coloured ring is in pounds and ounces. So a bit more maths for you to do! Just type something like "16lb 7oz to kg" in the google search bar and it will convert it for you.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
f your not except my apologies
Isincerely hope you are not going down the self fill route, its really not worth the hassle and risk
If your not except my apologies
Hi Geo No I am not, but thanks for thinking the worst of me.
I'm enginer by trade and when I see some figures which I don't understand I ask the question. I tried asking Calor but trying to get any information out of them is nearly impossible. I phoned and was switched between two ladies three times before I gave up and asked on here.
I'm sure in your lifetime you have seen something you don't understand and asked the question.
Best Wishes Tony

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't see why they don't put this bottle will hold " " so many litres of gas and be done with it after all we don't say my fuel tank will hold "" kgs of fuel do we,

In a nutshell.. Boyle's law ...

the mass in kg remains constant.. but the volume in litres depends on temperature and pressure..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyle's_law
I love this graphic..

Boyles_Law_animated.gif

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for that Lenny I suppose that is the case for all bottles 11kg etc will be around 27.5lt total internal volume.
I don't see why they don't put this bottle will hold " " so many litres of gas and be done with it after all we don't say my fuel tank will hold "" kgs of fuel do we, we know exactly what we are getting with out the ambiguity, Or Do We. lol
Best Wishes Tony
They quote kg because that is very easy to measure, just put the bottle on the scales, subtract the tare and bingo. Though with my built in tank I buy the gas in litres from a thing like a petrol pump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Though with my built in tank I buy the gas in litres from a thing like a petrol pump.
Hi DBK yes the under slung tank,
The reason I am looking into exactly what these bottles hold is I'm thinking of getting an under slung tank, I would like the largest possible.

Measuring my chassis a 55 Ltr would fit and possibly a 60ltr, I was hoping at least a 70ltr tank would fit.
I have been looking for an installer near me, most people on here recommend the company at Thirsk which is a long way from me. Some kind MHFner actually phoned Gasit for me and found two companies closer but since then I've had second thoughts.

As a 60ltr tank holds approx 24kg @ 80% which 2 11kg bottles will hold 22kg which is only 4ltrs short of a 60ltr under slung tank so that's why I'm having second thoughts.
I wanted to know before I finally decided exactly what I was getting.
Best wishes Tony

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Can I ask what your use or where you want to go with your van that you need/want such a large tank.Reason I ask is we were away for 3 months touring France,Spain and Portugal and all we had with us was one 12kg refillable and one 12kg Spanish Cepsa.Could easily have got away with just the refillable but i acquired the Cepsa 3 years ago and have taken it with me ever since.There is no shortage of places that have gas,even in Spain now.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Can I ask what your use or where you want to go with your van that you need/want such a large tank.Reason I ask is we were away for 3 months
Hi Bigtree yes by all means, I want to do a lot of wild camping regardless of where that is,
I have a very large fridge freezer 180 litres if I'm in the sun the gas will take a hammering trying to keep the fridge freezer cool, then there is the hot water and also the cooking.
By the way I'm looking into ways of making my fridge freezer more economical.
If I'm in the sun I will be relying on the fridge a lot , I can't afford to eat out etc. In another thread I posted I was out for three days if I remember 7 litres of gas, no EHU just fridge freezer, hot water and cooking everyone said that was a lot.
When I bought the MH all the gas was checked, since the three day trip I've had it checked again because of comments, all checked out. A 60 Ltr tank is not much bigger than 2 13kg bottles.
Anyway talked enough.
Best Wishes Tony

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi DBK yes the under slung tank,
The reason I am looking into exactly what these bottles hold is I'm thinking of getting an under slung tank, I would like the largest possible.

Measuring my chassis a 55 Ltr would fit and possibly a 60ltr, I was hoping at least a 70ltr tank would fit.
I have been looking for an installer near me, most people on here recommend the company at Thirsk which is a long way from me. Some kind MHFner actually phoned Gasit for me and found two companies closer but since then I've had second thoughts.

As a 60ltr tank holds approx 24kg @ 80% which 2 11kg bottles will hold 22kg which is only 4ltrs short of a 60ltr under slung tank so that's why I'm having second thoughts.
I wanted to know before I finally decided exactly what I was getting.
Best wishes Tony
The big advantage of an underslung tank is you don't need a gas locker so on my PVC this makes sense but if you don't have a storage problem then refillable bottles would be sensible and a lot cheaper. By refillable I mean bottles which can be filled without taking them out of the vehicle. But usage is a factor. If you are going to winter in Spain conventional bottles which can be exchanged might be best.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back