Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Morning all you MHers
I have a problem, Yes I know you lot, but that’s not the problem I’m thinking of.

I want to hang a 21”tv on my bedroom wall, the bedroom wall is part of the toilet wall so the wall is not that thick to say the least, I’m not sure what thickness board they use perhaps someone on here knows.

Anyway although I think the wall is capable of holding such an item the only way I would feel happy about the secure fixing would be to completely drill through and put some supporting aid on the toilet side, like large penny washers or a metal plate or as the supplier of the Motorhome said a plank of wood, What.

Now although these suggestions would work they are not what I call nice to look at when doing your ablutions.

I would have thought that there must be some sort of fixing out there which does not look like an idiot has done the job, you see it all the time in your Motorhome where they have used screws they put a little plastic plug over the screw head, that is what I’m trying to achieve something which looks reasonable.

There must be other times when we have to support things like this and cover fixings so they look reasonable, so I can’t believe I can’t find something which will suffice.

It seems so simple but how do you get a reasonable look on the toilet side.

I’m hopeful you good people will instantly point me in the right direction.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your inspirational ideas or not as the case may be. :pray:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have done similar. The walls are not fit to hold a screw so there is only one answer a large spreader plate. Steel would be the thinnest for strength. Then some beading and cover it with a plastic mirror ( available cut to size of ebay ).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Tonbridge
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2012
I've put a metal plate on the other side of the wall then hung a picture over it when I had this problem

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Tricky, you could try and calculate the wall thickness and work out construction material then decide if it's up to the job and length of screws.
Failing that your gonna have to bolt through.
Screw / bolt cap covers are easily sourced from eBay.
Mine bolted to wardrobe so I didn't have your problem

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I have done similar. The walls are not fit to hold a screw so there is only one answer a large spreader plate. Steel would be the thinnest for strength. Then some beading and cover it with a plastic mirror ( available cut to size of ebay ).

Hi @Brakers,

Although I haven't yet used them The following comes highly recommended from friends, (assuming they are still operating)

Clarkes
Unit 302
Queensway Business Park
Hadley Park,
Telford TF1 7OL
01952 605557

J

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another way is to fit a reinforcing plate on top of the wall behind the TV, a nice piece of veneered ply behind the TV to spread the load.
Why a 21" TV I would have thought a 17" would be fine at the end of the bed, also if you by a nice new LED one it will be less than half the weight of one a couple of years old, the latest ones are very light. I sometimes do a bit of contract work that involves fitting large monitors in call centres you just won't believe how the weight has come down in the last couple of years.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Clarkes
Unit 302
Queensway Business Park
Hadley Park,
Telford TF1 7OL
Hi Pilote87 Thanks for that yes it does look like they are still trading, I'll brows their website and see if they have anything suitable.

Many Thanks Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Why a 21" TV I would have thought a 17" would be fine at the end of the bed
Hi Lenny As the Americans say bigger is better and apart from that I've already got the TV. :)
Best Wishes Tony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hi Lenny As the Americans say bigger is better and apart from that I've already got the TV. :)
Best Wishes Tony
That's what I thought and if more than a year old it will be heavy compared with current offerings, why risk problems for a few quid.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hang it from the ceiling (y)
Hi Langtoftlad
Never thought of that, but then we have the problem of knowing what weight the ceiling will take and what size blind bolts etc to use. Have you ever hung something from the ceiling of a Motorhome if so what bolts etc did you use to attach it to the ceiling?
Many Thanks Tony

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Ha
Hi Langtoftlad
Never thought of that, but then we have the problem of knowing what weight the ceiling will take and what size blind bolts etc to use. Have you ever hung something from the ceiling of a Motorhome if so what bolts etc did you use to attach it to the ceiling?
Many Thanks Tony
Have I done it?
Good god no! :D
I'm conventional - wardrobe wall, spreader plate.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
That's what I thought and if more than a year old it will be heavy compared with current offerings, why risk problems for a few quid.
Hi Lenny HB
The TV is new and I'm fairly new to this Motorhoming so never had to think about problems like this before, I thought "Silly Me" there would be acceptable solutions for this type of problem, lets face it there are quite a few MH's and caravans about and this I'm finding is not the first time this type of fixing has been needed, but there does not seem to be any nice looking solutions without puting a spreader plate behind the tv mounting.
Best Wishes Tony

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The wall will comprise two layers of 3mm ply. Even if you fasten through from one side to the other you will crush the wall. With care you will find horizontal strengthening wood at some point up or down from where you want to mount the TV. Use 1.5mm polished stainless about 8" wide and long enough to pass over at least one strengthener. Mount your TV bracket on the plate centrally or below centre countersinking the fasteners. Drill holes for at least two or better four screws to mount the plate to the strengthener(s). Use car body mounting tape in strips to cover the rear of the plate then stick it to the wall. Fit the 2 or 4 screws. Don't forget to thoroughly clean the wall & stainless prior to applying the tape. Give it 24 hours for the adhesive to achieve max. grip before mounting TV. Polished stainless with the corners rounded looks good, costs very little, and will stay where it's put.

I've used this method of mounting before. It will never move.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I just took the mirror off the bathroom wall and packed it out to accomodate the fixing plate worked a treat

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Don't know the design of your mh but is there a way that instead of screwing on that wall, you could put one of those retracting stretchy round corners tv holders on a side wall at the somewhereorother .. and then pull it out and sideways to be at the foot or corner of your bed?

I hope you understood what I mean? o_O

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I hope you understood what I mean? o_O

Hi Movan Thanks for replying to this thread, I thought this thread was dead and buried as it was started early August last year, and for understanding women I don't think that is possible LOL.
It’s now been sorted, there is a shelf in the corner which would hold a 15” tv with no problems but I wanted a larger 22” tv “you know what us guys are like with our tv’s the bigger the better LOL” and I was a bit sceptical that the shelf in question would hold it.
What I have done is, under the shelf is a sturdy cupboard which is about 12” to 14” lower that has a sack inside it accessible from the top to put dirty washing in, so what I’ve done is put a chrome pole with rubbers on each end which fits in between the shelf and the cupboard and can be removed easily when access to the washing sack is required.

I’m really pleased that I did not have to drill into or attach any more brackets to the wall.
Also thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread.
Many Thanks Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back