Solar connection to EBL 101 (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I read some advice on here about putting solar panel on my Hymer 552CL. One of the recommendations was to use an MPPT Solar Charge Controller which I bought.

I'm going to fit my 120w panel through this Solar MPPT then into the EBL101 input.

Now I've read that this may cause problems with the EBL101 and now don't know what to do.

Any recommendations ?

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
you should use the Schault lr1218 solar controller with the ebl101. I originally had a panels connected direct to the batteries via a controller which confused the electroblok and it was not until I connected using an lr1218 via the ebl unit that the system recognised the correct charging regime.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Or, if you want an MPPT model, the Schaudt LRM1218.

For a definitive answer, email Udo Lang at Schaudt (but another post suggested he may be on holiday at the moment). Udo.Lang@schaudt-gmbh.de

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Maybe - maybe not. Ask Udo whether you can connect the specific model controller that you have bought into an EBL101.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
okay slight balls up I have the EBL99 not the 101.

I need to get this done this week ideally so if I have to use the Schaudt LRM1218 I can get one from Brownhills and sell my Solar Controller. I've mailed Udo in the meantime, I've spoken to Brownhills, but Darren isn't in today.

Thanks for advice.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The EBL99 is relatively 'un-fussy' regarding solar controllers that can be connected to it according to correspondence that I have had, and others have reported, with Udo Lang. It is possible to connect a non-Schaudt regulator to Block 6 on the front panel. You will need to use a three port male MNL connector block and get the correct pins to go in the block. These are crimp-type and it is important to get them in the correct holes first time as they are held in by barbs and are very difficult to get out once pushed in place. (The male block can, of course, be plugged in and taken out of the EBL with ease - it's just fitting the pins in the connector that is a 'one-time' task.) The MNL connector pin locations are marked with very small numbers; the EBL99 requires that you use Pin 1 for the negative cable and Pin 3 for the Positive cable from the regulator. The correct MNL block and pins can be purchased from Schaudt, or you can probably source them locally / via Ebay etc.
Note that the maximum current loading for the EBL99 via Block 6 is 15 amps (although the Schaudt regulators are rated at 18 amps max). So long as your present regulator complies with this, you should be able to use it.

Alternatively, the benefit of the Schaudt regulators is that they are twin-battery models: i.e. they will charge both habitation and starter batteries. If your present one cannot do this, you may want to consider a swap. The Schaudt regulator models are LR1218 (PWM-type) and LRM1218 (MPPT-type). I have the former and it works very well with a 135 watt panel connected to an EBL99. Also, the regulators are supplied with wiring looms to plug into the EBL.
The LR model is about £70 and the LRM is about £150.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Sorry to be a pest, I've looked all over for a supplier (incl ebay) of those connector blocks and MNL pins, I've looked at Schaudt but it comes up in German.

Any ideas ?

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Try mate n lok on ebay, be careful to check exactly identical !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So I've wasted £90 on a Solar Controller then ?
Nope, both the EBL 99 & 101 the solar connection is straight through just connects straight to the batteries via a fuse. If you have a dual output solar regulator you can connect directly to the EBL as Philip mentions or if it is a single output you can fit the CBE Solar split charge relay, that is what I did in my van (EBL29).

you should use the Schault lr1218 solar controller with the ebl101. I originally had a panels connected direct to the batteries via a controller which confused the electroblok and it was not until I connected using an lr1218 via the ebl unit that the system recognised the correct charging regime.
The EBL101 has straight through connection as mentioned above so doesn't matter what solar regulator you use.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Nope, both the EBL 99 & 101 the solar connection is straight through just connects straight to the batteries via a fuse. If you have a dual output solar regulator you can connect directly to the EBL as Philip mentions or if it is a single output you can fit the CBE Solar split charge relay, that is what I did in my van (EBL29).

If the ebl has ability to show battery capacity itmay be a problem connecting straight to battery. To work out capacity ebl uses the shunt inside the ebl to measure both charge and discharge. If it cannot measure the charge it will display incorrect capacity, it cannot measure charge from solar if solar is connected direct to battery. Now taking cover........as there are probably many who can explain where i have gone wrong.

The EBL101 has straight through connection as mentioned above so doesn't matter what solar regulator you use.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
QUOTE="SandraL, post: 1970690, member: 19577"][/QUOTE]
Depends what control panel is fitted, doesn't make a lot of odds as you can still see battery voltage just won't see the solar current flow, a decent Solar regulator will have all that info anyway..

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to be a pest, I've looked all over for a supplier (incl ebay) of those connector blocks and MNL pins, I've looked at Schaudt but it comes up in German.

Any ideas ?
Email Udo and explain what you are planning to do. Ask him to supply the relevant MNL male block and pins for your EBL (I think the pins come in batches of ten). They are not that expensive - I think I paid about €10 but most of that was postage. At least you will have the security of knowing that they have sent the correct type.
If Udo is not available (holidays?) you could also try this lady - Janet.Pomino@schaudt-gmbh.de

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I bought this one
on recommendations in another thread. And it's quite a weighty item seems very well made, as it's German designed I expect it to be the bees knees. it has all the information displayed you could need.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
They are AMP Mate-N-Lock connectors CPC stock them, these are the pins and Connector housing.
They have used a generic drawing in the connector listing if you look at the PDF and the AMP part number you will see it is the right one.

Attachments

• 1656593.pdf
    106.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Reply from Udo

Hi Andrew,
you can install any solar-charger to the system.
In this matter, the best would be to add the solar-charger to the leisure battery poles directly.
Best Regards
Udo.

and again

Hi again,
please recognize, the solar-input is good for maximum 15A!!
Better to connect the charger to the battery.
Best Regards
Udo.

so there we have it, I'll be doing all this tomorrow now my new Banner batteries have arrived.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Banner don't ? or Alpha ? and are you saying Banner batteries are rubbish ?
Bann are rubbish and Banner don't honor their warrantie, they sell a battery as suitable for leisure use then will only accept a CAA test as proof it has failed. Mine passed the CAA test (starter battery test) but would only deliver 10A/H at low discharge used for leisure.
Just search the German forums to see how bad Banner are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back