Fire at Broadway (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I believe that there has been a fire involving motorhomes at the Caravan Club site in Broadway.
Not been able to get confirmation, though. The cause will be of more interest than the consequences.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Keep your distance improve your resistance.
The 6 metre rule makes sense.
Lets hope its confined to one unit without any harm to its occupants.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
any update ?

can't find anything on Google , what made you believe there had been a fire ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
any update ?

can't find anything on Google , what made you believe there had been a fire ?

Likewise, I've even had a look on the local journalistic sites and can't find anything?

I hope all involved are ok.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
According to what passes for a forum on the CC site, one motorhome was destroyed, two others were damaged by the heat and a car was also damaged but thankfully no-one was hurt.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
According to what passes for a forum on the CC site, one motorhome was destroyed, two others were damaged by the heat and a car was also damaged but thankfully no-one was hurt.

Just had a read.. thanks

re 6 mt. spacing..

a concern I've had on many French aires ..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Slightly off topic but ............ I notice the report linked did what our local paper does in that whenever it reports on a fire it also reports on the equipment used to extinguish it - " two hose reels" or "BA equipment". I've never seen reports of an attendance by the Ambulance service refer to bandages, or oxygen, etc. Nor do they say when there's been a power outage that it was fixed using fuse wire & a screwdriver. So is it just some newspapers or do they all list the equipment used to extinguish a fire? If so - why?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
But has your concern stopped your using them?

Not entirely, but we now avoid ones that are packed in like sardines.. and much prefer using Municipal sites.. often no more expensive.

Didn't use any like that this year except to park up for a for hours at the canoe station in Chateaudun .. then we moved to the Municipal site.

At Gravelines aire there was plenty of space on the grassy area..

Would rather pay for a site than be so close you can't open the windows fully.. and can hear and smell everything the neighbours are doing..

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Slightly off topic but ............ I notice the report linked did what our local paper does in that whenever it reports on a fire it also reports on the equipment used to extinguish it - " two hose reels" or "BA equipment". I've never seen reports of an attendance by the Ambulance service refer to bandages, or oxygen, etc. Nor do they say when there's been a power outage that it was fixed using fuse wire & a screwdriver. So is it just some newspapers or do they all list the equipment used to extinguish a fire? If so - why?

It's how the fire service report themselves - you can find all the details of incidents which they attend on their website.

http://www.hwfire.org.uk/

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you want 6 metre spacing it won't make you more choosey, you won't be using Aires at all.

not always the case..

we have been on lots with plenty of space between vans, .. especially off season when you can have an aire to yourself..

but packed in like sardines like Honfleur aire in August . .. no thanks..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
not always the case..

we have been on lots with plenty of space between vans, .. especially off season when you can have an aire to yourself..

but packed in like sardines like Honfleur aire in August . .. no thanks..

We've been on Aires with plenty of space too but the point is that if it starts to fill up and a couple of other vans want to squeeze into the perfect 6m gap Norman has measured out for you then there's nothing you can do about it other than move.

We're at Honfleur at the moment and it is pretty busy but not the busiest I've seen it by a long way. We've got 1.5 - 2 metre gaps either side of us which is plenty. If it was busier and the gaps were smaller I'd have no issue with it.

OP
OP
two

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Fortunately, things like this don’t happen very often and, when they do, people are able to get away. Even at 6m, damage was caused to neighbouring vehicles. It’s a shame they were unable to move them away.

I usually park so that I’m able to drive away directly when parked in confined spaces.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Just had a read.. thanks

re 6 mt. spacing..

a concern I've had on many French aires ..
Not just French aires, we have just been up to Hadrians wall camp site and their hard standing for motorhomes was like a car park, there was only about 5 foot between the vans, needles to say I won't be going back.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I don't know the details of this particular incident but although rare campsite fires are usually made worse due to some people's love of putting up marque's which maskerade as awnings. Not only flammable but impede on the six metres. If people are worried about such things best not visit Italy as a lot of campsites give you less room than a lot of aires.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Suites me fine then .

Your choice of course but if you are only prepared to park under campsite conditions you will miss out on the best of France and that would be a shame.

Some of the most beautiful places we've been to would never even have been an option or even been considered if we had chosen to restrict ourselves in that fashion.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Your choice of course but if you are only prepared to park under campsite conditions you will miss out on the best of France and that would be a shame.

Some of the most beautiful places we've been to would never even have been an option or even been considered if we had chosen to restrict ourselves in that fashion.
Nick I would rather miss out on some nice parts rather than be parked up cheek to jowl with others ..Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nick I would rather miss out on some nice parts rather than be parked up cheek to jowl with others ..Roy

Then sadly Aires are very much not going to be for you. I'd advise you to stick solely to campsites.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Then sadly Aires are very much not going to be for you. I'd advise you to stick solely to campsites.
I wont dismiss them out of hand Nick but I do like a little room around me ,I don't say I need five metres or whatever but a couple would suffice . Roy

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I wont dismiss them out of hand Nick but I do like a little room around me ,I don't say I need five metres or whatever but a couple would suffice . Roy

And you might well get that much a lot of the time, especially in less popular places, but if you park somewhere leaving a 2 and a half or 3 metre gap and another van decides to go in that space you can't complain, they have every right to be there. If you try and engineer a gap just too small for another van to fit you're likely to be made to move if the space is needed.

What you can't do is expect a defined amount of space every time as you would on a UK site and you should treat anything over a metre as a bonus.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back