Santander to Benidorm routes and stops (1 Viewer)

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi All ,were off to Beni in November for a good few months, so my questions ::bigsmile:oes any body have any good ideas on the above as I haven't done this before and I don't fancy driving more than say 3 hours a day I'm in no hurry so a relaxed drive would be my plan and would prefer to overnight at a campsite . If anybody can advise we would be most grateful Mike and Tina.:)

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
What time does your boat dock? Allow an hour or so to get on the road, less if you're lucky. If it's late you may want to use the aire at Cabarceno, about half an hour, or the newish one at the marina at Santander, just a few minutes away. One route goes over by Bilbao and near Vitoria-Gasteiz where there's another aire in the city centre in a large carpark with a corner sectioned off for motorhomes. Shopping nearby and a great bakery right across from the aire.

Another stop could be the campsite at Zaragoza - it gets mixed reviews, but probably ok for an overnight. From there you could drive to Benidorm or stop north of Valencia at the campsite at Navajas, Camping Altamira.

Via Michelin or Google Maps are good for suggesting routes, and Via gives the costs, including Tolls.

Reactions: Jim

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Benidorm is roughly 500 miles from the Spanish ports. I used to stop off at the Hotel Valonsadero just north of Soria, which is roughly halfway. They would allow you to park in the grounds as long as you ate a meal in the very good restaurant. Am not sure just what has happened as there website has been down for some time now. Maybe someone abused there hospitality, or maybe its closed down.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i never use campsites .
but torrelavaga first stop park by railway station at sierra panda , handy for supermarkets there as well. then on to canyon los lobos . thats down to burgos then just after turn left head for soria ,at leonardo de yague turn right and head for the canyon .(try a google ).next day on to almazon and down and across east to lagoona gallocanta . park by the information center by the lagoon.all that is done on small roads . but after the lake the n234 down to port sagunta park on the big truck area by the port . then down the coast to benny.
water in all the villages .
you could use the motorway but we dont use them .
loads park ups

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the lagoon at gallocanta is famous in november for migrating cranes arriving . i have seen about 30,000 birds there but sometimes as many as 50,000 can be seen. .one of the guys in the information center is scottish so park sensible and they turn a blind eye to you.
mind you never know might see you on the boat ,we are going down to spain in november .
might be doing portugal but might be taking that route i discribed . its really fantastic .
in the canyon you see griffin vultures flying around . waiting for you to sit down and fall asleep. ha ha
not really but fantastic experiance . like being on david attenbourgh program.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Sometimes wonder why we bother.
Well GJ I am a little surprised by your tacit comment if you are referring to the fact that I had not responded to your post there are many reasons why, one being that I may not have seen it yet as my wife often opens and reads the posts and doesn't always tell me what responses I have had if any at all. I am grateful for the information which has been provided by the other funsters who are perhaps a little more mature than you, After reading your post I must now find out what time my boat docks as and when I do that I can use your useful information so thank you and adios

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well GJ I am a little surprised by your tacit comment if you are referring to the fact that I had not responded to your post there are many reasons why, one being that I may not have seen it yet as my wife often opens and reads the posts and doesn't always tell me what responses I have had if any at all. I am grateful for the information which has been provided by the other funsters who are perhaps a little more mature than you, After reading your post I must now find out what time my boat docks as and when I do that I can use your useful information so thank you and adios
From memory if you are sailing from Portsmouth you will get in around six in the evening but if coming from Plymouth you arrive around midday. If its not too cold or wet get up on deck in the morning as you cross Biscay to spot for whales. :)

Edit: If you are on the Economy service it gets in just before midday.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sometimes wonder why we bother.

I ask questions on support forums in the morning and might not be able get back to see them till the evening or sometimes the following morning. I might forget I asked the question till a week later. I'm grateful people 'bother' to answer and, the power of forums over other social media means, plenty of others in the future will helped by those who bothered to answer my question.

Giving an answer and then waiting for the instant like, nudge or poke is not what Forums are about. Your answer is there, it will show up in searches, it will be displayed when similar questions are asked again, it will help many more people than the person who asked. That's why I bother. (y)

Last edited:

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
"Giving an answer and then waiting for the instant like, nudge or poke is not what Forums are about."
I wasn't going to follow this up, but when I checked in last night there were "likes" etc for later posts, yet the first 2 posts (which I had thought had been useful, were ignored), so it got up my nose a bit. I know it shouldn't. I usually bother because I've asked questions on here and most folk have been very helpful, especially when we were starting out and I like to think I can reciprocate.

But, Jim, I think there's an obligation to be mindful and not forgetful, imho :) - others may disagree.

And just to add a couple of other tips to the OP, make sure BF have your mobile number and keep it on as you drive to the port as they will text you if there are problems. Also, check their website regularly in the week of your trip for "Sailing Updates" (under Routes & Timetables) and have in mind a Plan B, as there are sometimes cancellations in winter due to bad weather.

Saludos!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Just come across this post, so a bot late in responding. In the resources section (page 1) there is a down load you may find useful (Spain motorway maps) for this and future trips.
We tend to get from the French/Spanish border to Benidorm in 2 days with an overnight stop at the truck stop at Marlofa. (Easy to see on Google Maps) (This is also a service station, showers, restaurant and has a service point for Motorhomes, and is free). It used to include free lecce but this has now been removed.
The simple route for you would be Pamplona, Zarogza, Valencia, and then straight down to Benidorm.
Incidentally, if you want to save a bundle of money you could drive down from Calais in two days using mostly toll free motorways and duel carriageways.
Safe travels

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This is the toll free route I use. Santander-Burgos-Soria-Terouel-Valencia-Benidorm. 538 miles. This can be done in the day, but I prefer to do it in 2 nowadays.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi dave . almost the same route i use but i try not to use motorways . and like to take anything from 2-7 days . i find next to almost every m,way there is a nice lovely road running by the side of it . but we all make choices . little roads for us . drive through as many villages as you can and smile ,wave ,meet the locals .

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi All ,were off to Beni in November for a good few months, so my questions ::bigsmile:oes any body have any good ideas on the above as I haven't done this before and I don't fancy driving more than say 3 hours a day I'm in no hurry so a relaxed drive would be my plan and would prefer to overnight at a campsite . If anybody can advise we would be most grateful Mike and Tina.:)
Lots of help here on suggested routes for doing it in two days or so but as you prefer to drive just a few hours a day (like me!) then I suggest buying a campsite book, the Caravan Club one on Spain and Portugal isn't bad though it isn't very up to date. Additionally, load the CamperContact app on your tablet or phone as this will show some campsites as well. The problem will be many sites will be closed at that time of year but there are some open all your round and you may be able to plot a route linking them but a few aires may be necessary to avoid long driving days.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Yes really handy, we are going down in January and back up at the end of February, so will be using some of the advice on here.
Also hoping to do similar, and equally grateful for the tips and info from others too. (y)

Cheers,

Jock & Rita. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I forgot to mention the obvious source of info on campsites - the ACSI books and card. This will show the sites open all year round. I think the card is valid until around March from memory but I don't think that should be a problem, turn up out of season and no one is going to turn you away. :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Don't forget the app Park4night which lists places that have been used to mhs to park overnight. We're about 30km east of Bilbao in a sports centre carpark. Flat and quiet and ideal for us.

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
@DBK Yes, ACSI is indispensible imho, but the card is valid only till the 31st Dec of each year. Vicarious Books is very quick at delivering them in the UK (and abroad for an extra charge) and they usually go out around 6th Dec +/- a few days. I think pre-ordering starts around October. The 2016 edition is still available if you haven't got it.

You can also buy them at various outlets in Spain, if like us, you leave before they're published.

ACSI Spain

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back