Road tax query (1 Viewer)

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
My Wife being disabled, as I understand if the car or /MH was registered in her name she would be eligible for vehicle exemption on one or the other vehicles.. As they are both in my name I cannot claim. Any way around this without me having to register one in her name.
Thanks

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
My Wife being disabled, as I understand if the car or /MH was registered in her name she would be eligible for vehicle exemption on one or the other vehicles.. As they are both in my name I cannot claim. Any way around this without me having to register one in her name.
Thanks

Hi daps,, If it for her use,,,, as obviousley it is... you can apply from the office in I believe it is Newcastle,, for tax exempt form,, as long as you have the appropriate Disability Living Allowance forms etc.. And her name need not be on the car registration documents (V5)..
I have one of our cars nil road tax for my son, and there is no way he could drive, and the car is registered in my name. So you should get it.

If you cannot get the address through Google`ing give me a shout and I will find ours. :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi daps,, If it for her use,,,, as obviousley it is... you can apply from the office in I believe it is Newcastle,, for tax exempt form,, as long as you have the appropriate Disability Living Allowance forms etc.. And her name need not be on the car registration documents (V5)..
I have one of our cars nil road tax for my son, and there is no way he could drive, and the car is registered in my name. So you should get it.

If you cannot get the address through Google`ing give me a shout and I will find ours. :thumb:

Sorry,, I got it wrong. :Doh:

This is the actual address you will have to get in touch with..

Disability Benefits Unit.
Warbreck House.
Warbreck Hill Road.
Blackpool.
FY2 0YE.

The exemption Certificate is (DLA404) and covers 4 years or 4 X 6 monthly road tax`s

Afraid I do not have a phone number.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Many Thanks Old Mo...
Found a number for them and a application form in the post today.. They confirmed it can be done... I've been paying road tax on the car for about 20 years thinking the vehicle needed to be in the disabled persons name. Seeing the M/H is the only way my wife gets a holiday or two it should't be a problem for that to be exempted instead of the car. £190 saved if all goes well.
Thanks again.
Alan

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
Sorry to hijack your thread dude but does that include sensorary impairment people too?

Boo

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I think you might have to define 'sensory impairment' Boo

I am registered blind but I cannot get this because I am only on the middle level of DLA.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as the disabled person as to be impaired in the walking ability i wonder if thats why you dont get the full or higher allowance?could be ok if you get it though might not be wise you driving unless its a tank. and that possibly should be amphibious. in case you miss the bridges. i get it because of hereditory motor and sensory neuropathy or rarely know as peroneal muscular atrophy. commonly known as charcot-marie-tooth disease.
main symptons muscle wastage to lower legs n feet and lower arms/hands causing poor balance fatigue and walking problems. now that explains it does it not. cheers alan.
ps. not many trucks on disabled blue badges good for parking .hee heee.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I think you might have to define 'sensory impairment' Boo

I am registered blind but I cannot get this because I am only on the middle level of DLA.

I'm deaf dude, but they call it sensorary impaired :winky:

Yes I get DLA but medium rate like you, if you can dress & wash yourself then you won't get high rate, I told them I don't like doing either but it didn't make a difference lol! :ROFLMAO:

"could be ok if you get it though might not be wise you driving unless its a tank. and that possibly should be amphibious. in case you miss the bridges".daft sod Alan :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Boo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Many Thanks Old Mo...
Found a number for them and a application form in the post today.. They confirmed it can be done... I've been paying road tax on the car for about 20 years thinking the vehicle needed to be in the disabled persons name. Seeing the M/H is the only way my wife gets a holiday or two it should't be a problem for that to be exempted instead of the car. £190 saved if all goes well.
Thanks again.
Alan

Hi Alan,, Just a thought,, we thought about going down the M/H route for nil road tax,, "But" give it some thought, you are only allowed to do it on one (1) vehicle,,

I think you have to way up the pro`s & con`s as to which will benefit you most,, ie with a car you can park on (most) double yellow lines as long as you are not infringing the flow of traffic,, a lot of municipal car parks have free parking for disabled badge holders.

But how often are you going to go out for a run and do the weekly shopping go to the doctors etc in the M/H. I know you may be saving a few quid . but..

A lot of car parks have height restrictions and some dont allow motor homes,, some roads you will not be able to park on in a M/H because of the width etc..

My personel opinion is to nil the car if you use that more,, just a thought..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mo, i use the unit .its only the size of a car. the bue badge is transferable to any vehicle its only the tax that stays with the unit. you can use the badges even on your m,bike. we do have a few carparks that only allow disabled tax and blue badgejolders but not many. park my camper on yellow lines with the badge even in europe its ok. even maroc as disabled parking. beat them at there own game.whenyou see my truck its not as big as you think you will be suprised. the unit fits a car park space andit all fits on two spaces. cheers alan.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
mo, i use the unit .its only the size of a car. the bue badge is transferable to any vehicle its only the tax that stays with the unit. you can use the badges even on your m,bike. we do have a few carparks that only allow disabled tax and blue badgejolders but not many. park my camper on yellow lines with the badge even in europe its ok. even maroc as disabled parking. beat them at there own game.whenyou see my truck its not as big as you think you will be suprised. the unit fits a car park space andit all fits on two spaces. cheers alan.

I realise that Alan, but a lot of car parks are payment exempt if the car with the badge has nil road tax.. and an awful lot you pay even with a blue badge unless exempt..

That was my point,, in actual fact all car parks in the wisdom of Weymouth council blue badge/nil tax all have to pay, so consequently all the side roads are getting congested with cars parked with blue badges, which you cannot blame the badge holders it is our council being greedy as usual that is causing the problem.. and I have noticed it happening all over the country,, hence my suggestion that if it is a reasonable size M/H I would go down the road of nil tax on a car which in some parts and towns would make life easier for parking..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mo, you could be right . i never had a car for a few years either used unit or m,bike. if i had my way the sun would shine every day and wouldnt need anything other than bike for local use. havent been back to weymouth since going to court there for the speeding sign carry on with chideock. will have to get up that way one day and look at old haunts. seems too much change every where. hospital.pier etc all change. see you soon will try to look you up have a wine. cheers alan.

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Hi,
I know they keep changing the rules so I may be out of date with my information. For many years I had a blue badge (walking difficulties) but was not eligible for tax exemption. So I would have had difficulty with these car parks that require both!!!
Now I have tax exemption as well (would prefer not to but there you go)

I have the van registered in my name and use the tax exemption on the van and transfer the blue badge to my wifes car or in fact any car I am in as driver / passenger. It works for me. The only requirement I know of is that the vehicle with the tax exemption has to be mainly for the disabled persons use. The form I have for the post office only requires me to fill in the registration number each year when taxing the vehicle so if you find it doesn't work for you after 12 months not too difficult to change over vehicles

None of the car parks I have ever come across have stated that the vehicle with the blue badge also has to be tax exempt, the only times this has occurred is when using toll roads and toll bridges and I am usually in the van then anyway.

I would be inclined to dispute any ticket if required to have combination of blue badge and tax exempt vehicle as this is contrary to the idea of a blue badge and could possibly be considered discriminatory. Having said that I also have a go at any councils with height barriers on the same grounds (with some small success).

Regards Colin

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I have the definate impression that councils allow free parking for disabled badges ONLY if it doesn't cost them TO much.

Grom what I have seen most inland areas are ok but as soon as you get to the coast, particularly known retirement centres like Bournemouoth, they only allow tax exempt cars.

Probably because nearly everyone living there has blue badges :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
D

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Well to be honest with my Wife having the Orange/Blue Badge for many years I have never heard of this tax exempt/blue badge only running together. As many car park signs etc I have read I cannot ever re-call seeing this. Perhaps I don't read the small print enough. Something I shall have to watch in future. Thanks again old-mo and others for drawing attention to it. Will await for the application form to drop on the floor and then we will decide which path to go.
Regards

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back