Gas safe certificate (1 Viewer)

Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
I was told by a dealer when collecting my PVC that the "gas safe" certificate that they gave me needs to be kept in the vehicle,because both ccc & c&c are asking for them when you arrive on site or book to make sure they are up to date,or they will not let you stay !! Has anyone had this issue

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I have not heard anything regarding a safety certificate for motor homes

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We stayed on a C&CC site for the first time last month and weren't asked for anything.

I think you only need one for a mobile catering van Graham, like a pie stall.....;)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Nonsense.

You can't get a Gas Safe certificate for a caravan or a motor caravan anyway because leisure vehicles are outside the scope of Gas Safe unless they are permanently sited or being used for business or commercial purposes.

If you can ever find a GS registered engineer who even has the right combination of lpg and leisure vehicle appliance tickets they would know that and tell you that.

If they did you a check and gave your a report on a GS form then it would carry no more weight or be no more legitimate than if some one just hand wrote the report a bit of scrap paper.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
sounds like more smelly stuff ..

there is no mention in the Camping and Caravan Club information sheet, nor Caravan Cub rules about that..

http://www.campingandcaravanningclu...nicalhelp/datasheets/gas-caravans-motorhomes/

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022892/liquefied-petroleum-gas-mo.pdf

unless they are permanently sited or being used for business or commercial purposes.

Not sure on this Nick, but I think that also applies to Rental Motorhomes.. Peter at @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes will know.

This company provide that service..

http://www.mlcaravanservicing.co.uk/gas-safety-checks/

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not sure on this Nick, but I think that also applies to Rental Motorhomes.. Peter at @Johns_Cross_Motorhomes will know.

This company provide that service..

http://www.mlcaravanservicing.co.uk/gas-safety-checks/

I think rentals come under commercial use. There have been a couple of threads previously where I've posted links to the relevant regulations.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/400-499/440_34.htm

For the rest of us there is no legislation covering our vehicles. Obviously commone sense suggests that we get the relevant checks and servicing carried out but there's absolutely nothing that says we have to.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Not German is it? They have a strict annual rule on gas checks and put a special sticker on the rear which must be visible. I just peeled mine off but have the original docs but will never need them.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
My new MH has "gas system checked and assessed safe with a stamp". Then I had External Gas point fitted so completely nul and voids the stamp.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not German is it? They have a strict annual rule on gas checks and put a special sticker on the rear which must be visible. I just peeled mine off but have the original docs but will never need them.
Yep if it's registered in Germany the system has to be tested every 2 years.

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Stayed on several CC sites in June and nary a one asked for such a cert. Like @Lenny HB says I have got the German one which is null becos I've had an Autogas system fitted since.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
We got one with our new vehicle for some reason. A friend of mine (environmental health/'elf & safety lecturer) tells me it is not compulsory for privately owned/used vehicles, but "handy to have"

Hopefully the whole thing won't get like the ludicrous "Boat Safety Scheme", where you are required to have electrical, gas and fire safety checks, and then some moron walking around lifting decking and charging you £250 for the privilege of telling you that your gas and electrical certificates are authentic and your fire extinguishers are within their "use by" dates.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I was told by a dealer when collecting my PVC that the "gas safe" certificate that they gave me needs to be kept in the vehicle,because both ccc & c&c are asking for them when you arrive on site or book to make sure they are up to date,or they will not let you stay !! Has anyone had this issue
I have not been asked to produce any certificates. Would be totally p!$$ed off if I travelled 300 miles before being asked the question though.

Kerry9

Free Member
Sep 16, 2018
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Motorhome owner
Exp
Rimor Sailer 645 2.7 TC fixed rear bed on Mercedes chassis and engine.
So do motorhomes being used solely for leisure purposes need a gas safety certificte or not? Is it a legislational or regulatory requirement?

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Some insurance companies ask for them if it’s a self build conversion, had mine checked out by the plumber I use who also was certified for mobile installations such as burger vans. He gave me a certificate which I keep in the van. Also had the local electrician check out the mains electrics who also gave me a certificate.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So do motorhomes being used solely for leisure purposes need a gas safety certificte or not? Is it a legislational or regulatory requirement?
Not as far as I know, they may well come with an original certificate from the manufacturer to say that the installation is to a standard but after that there are is no obligation on a private user to have any certificate.

I guess that the service workshop are operating under some accredited scheme like the NCC AWS (national caravan council approved workshops scheme) and they are applying the rules that apply under that scheme.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back