smelly fridge (1 Viewer)

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
although I have been at this game for more years than I am going to admit to , I have always had a fridge with a two setting catch on the door , to air it when not in use

my current vehicle doesn't have this , so of course if we use it for a brief trip the door has to be clipped fully shut although out of use ; surprise , surprise , when we get home we forget to wedge it open , and next time we open it ...IT SMELLS

there must be a hundred tricks to avoid this , some common household material to clean the fridge with , or something inside which will allow it to be shut for months which keeps it odour free ; trouble is I don't know any of them , at least nothing I have ever tried has worked

what does everyone else do ? what's the magic bullet ?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Ours does not have a catch to keep it open,, so we hang a tea towel over both fridge & freezer door to stop it closeing fully..:thumb:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Wash out the inside of the fridge with bicarbonate of soda, can be used neat if neccesary. Should work.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Wash out the inside of the fridge with bicarbonate of soda, can be used neat if neccesary. Should work.

Rgds
Bill

If you can find a suitable non spill container fill it with sodium bicarbonate powder and leave in the fridge, it will absorb most of the smells. Also put in one of those dehumidifier tarys you can get from caravan shops to keep it completely dry.
Better still leave the door open :roflmto:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Wash out with neat white vinegar, and when closed put a small bowl with charcoal, the kind used for potted plants, in the fridge.

An open box of baking soda will also absorb odours for at least a month, as will a little vinilla essence on a piece of cotton wool and placed in the fridge.

To prevent the formation of mildew wipe it put with vinegar, the acid in the vinegar kills the mildew fungus.

Nomadic

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
:Angry::swear::swear::swear::swear::swear:

Thank you very much for reminding me......forgot to leave the :swear: fridge door open, trip over to me storage required:Blush:

OP
OP
L

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
thanks all ; looks like the bicarb to start , see if it works for us

Jul 24, 2009
Summer in UK, then NZ
Funster No
MH
Cabover
Exp
Since 2002
The bit of the fridge that collects the yuk is often the door seal, especially at the bottom. If you can get at it, gently unroll the seal and run a damp cloth along it. It'll probably be horrid. Just make sure that you leave the door ajar once its clean. If there isn't a setting on your lock, drape a teatowel over the door so that it can't close.

I ran a boat hire fleet in my working life, you wouldn't believe what I've seen in fridges !!

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the fridge is completely dry and spotlessly clean it wont smell or grow a fur coat if closed .

new fridges dont come with the door ajar.:Doh:

we have an 'overflow' fridge in the house.....only used at christmas normally.

washed out and dried, left open for a week then closed...... it stays fresh 'til the following christmas:thumb:

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
Urkkkkkkk ......... reminds me of a past thought!:cry:

Accidentally smashed a tray of eggs whilst travelling in a caravan fridge ( brand new van to make it worse ! ), cleaned it all up and thought that was that. As the days went on the smell in the van was rancid, making you heave every time the fridge was opened. Back off hols we stripped the inside out, bicarbed ......... white vinegar .... lemons etc, tried everything but still the smell ensued. Then by accident the dear wife squeezed the rubber seal and this foul smelling, puss like substance leaked out!:ROFLMAO: Further squeezing, syringes with bicarb etc pushed into the seal and the smell was still there!:Angry: The only cure in the end was to purchase a new door ( electrolux didn't sell just the seal ... wouldn't you know it, eh! :Eeek: ) and this cured the smell in the end! :thumb:

Lesson learnt from this saga ............ eggs now carried in a plastic sealed container!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back