Washing machine (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2014
spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi to all we are new to m/h and are planning a few months away mostly wild camping my Q we are looking at buying a small washing / spin machine and wonder what we would need to run it (I.e. Inverter) and can they be used when on the move. We appreciate any advise.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
If you're looking at a small automatic washing machine then it is possible to use these when on the move providing you have the means to back it up (water, waste, electric, etc) and enough room and load to install one. It needs a bit of thinking about as most automatics are cold fill only these days but you could plumb the cold input from a hot and cold feed on the van and pre-set your input water using a thermostatic valve. If you get this bit right it means the washing machine heating element won't come on (drawing a lot of power from your inverter). You'd probably need to get the washing machine first and see what the peak consumption is without the heater working before you specify which inverter you need (or over specify the inverter to cover all possibilities). It would need to be a pure sine wave version.

Most regular motorhomes don't have the space/load available to use an automatic washing machine so opt for a "twin tub" type which can be manually filled with water, fairly low power consumption and very light weight (in comparison).

Having done all the above, we found that washing isn't a problem. It's the drying. A simple little spin dryer gets everything almost dry (ours spins at 2200 rpm) and a bit of breeze finishes them off (our current van is much smaller than our last one so space at a real premium). On a long trip though, we save the space and use local launderettes. Either self-serve or leave and collect - works out more convenient for us when away for the winter.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
@jezport sells them I think
We've not one
Good wash in just 15 mins
Great spin dryer - leaves clothes very dry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Why bother, almost every town has some kind of launderette. In fact I used to have a download listing them all.
Once a fortnight would do us and if you are desperate you can book on to a site for a night.
thats easy some of us dont use campsites .and dont stop near towns or villages much.
and if you pick a nice day up at 9. start washing it can be all on the line by half ten . dry by 1-2 in afternoon and you havnt driven anywhere . had a bit of exercise . out in the sun . got some soapy water to swill the truck off with and all the clothes packed away and clean sheets on the bed . cost nothing but a bit of washing powder .

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Why bother, almost every town has some kind of launderette. In fact I used to have a download listing them all.
Once a fortnight would do us and if you are desperate you can book on to a site for a night.
That's what we do. Then you can use the dryers too.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
thats easy some of us dont use campsites .and dont stop near towns or villages much.
and if you pick a nice day up at 9. start washing it can be all on the line by half ten . dry by 1-2 in afternoon and you havnt driven anywhere . had a bit of exercise . out in the sun . got some soapy water to swill the truck off with and all the clothes packed away and clean sheets on the bed . cost nothing but a bit of washing powder .

Us too.
We go away for months at a time to places (like Morocco) where launderettes dont exist. Even in Spain and Portugal they arent always easy to find. And we rarely stop on campsites (being freeloading tossers)
Our lightweight twintub gets used every week or so and the spin dryer in particular is excellent so clothes dry really quickly.
It has saved us a fortune in laundry costs over the years.
We have a 1000w pure sine inverter running off 2x110A batteries which are charged by 300w of solar panels. Our previous inverter was 300w and was perfectly capable of running the washing machine.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
about every three weeks for me .
you know when you need to do a wash the sheets are begining to whiff . hee hee .
but like you saved a fortune .
mind sometimes its nice to use the village street wash houses, get to meet real locals and you never know what local party you might be invited to.
although many of the granite or stone wash facilities are slowly disappearing . as kids we used to love going to them . i still visit some of the friends i met as kids back in the 60,s .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you're looking at a small automatic washing machine then it is possible to use these when on the move providing you have the means to back it up (water, waste, electric, etc) and enough room and load to install one. It needs a bit of thinking about as most automatics are cold fill only these days but you could plumb the cold input from a hot and cold feed on the van and pre-set your input water using a thermostatic valve. If you get this bit right it means the washing machine heating element won't come on (drawing a lot of power from your inverter). You'd probably need to get the washing machine first and see what the peak consumption is without the heater working before you specify which inverter you need (or over specify the inverter to cover all possibilities). It would need to be a pure sine wave version.

Most regular motorhomes don't have the space/load available to use an automatic washing machine so opt for a "twin tub" type which can be manually filled with water, fairly low power consumption and very light weight (in comparison).

Having done all the above, we found that washing isn't a problem. It's the drying. A simple little spin dryer gets everything almost dry (ours spins at 2200 rpm) and a bit of breeze finishes them off (our current van is much smaller than our last one so space at a real premium). On a long trip though, we save the space and use local launderettes. Either self-serve or leave and collect - works out more convenient for us when away for the winter.
Never have a drying problem in Spain or France,,BUSBY:):)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Never have a drying problem in Spain or France,,BUSBY:):)
you might in winter . france they change into boards . ha ha .
and inland spain is that high it can make france seem warm.
but with you really. ;);)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a ring one . also have a modified sine wave . that runs the washing machine . only got a pure sin wave as modern 240v fridges are a bit fussy.
my old fridge died it was about 30 yr old but it worked good on the mod sin wave .
both mine are ring automotive ones .

jansellsbond

Free Member
Feb 24, 2016
Dawlish
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Broadway FB
Exp
since 2004
We bought a leisurewize twin tub for our upcoming 2 year stint. No need to go in to expensive camp sites, town centres or launderettes now. It travels in the shower, runs on a 300w cheapo inverter, washes about half a domestic automatic machine load at a time, has a 15 min cycle plus spin. It fills from a bucket of hot water and drains in to another bucket. Spins dryer than our home machine and weighs only about 11kg. I did make some legs with cushioned feet to keep it up off the shower tray and make it easier to drain.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
you might in winter . france they change into boards . ha ha .
and inland spain is that high it can make france seem warm.
but with you really. ;);)
France summer,,coastal Spain in the winter,,,only do sunshine,,,,,,BUSBY:):)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We do as @vwalan lan.. using a Trug and a Posser..

campsite laundrette facilities are quite expensive.. also, have you seen what some people put in the washers.... ? Dog blankets full of hair, old filthy sleeping bags, workers overalls, .. etc .. no thanks , I'm not washing my Y fronts after that lot ..

Public laundrettes in the UK are becoming scarce.. and also expensive.. but you will find them at French Supermarkets.. seen one at Super U

another trick it to put your washing in a plastic bin, put in the toilet or shower room and leave to wash while you drive to your next stop...

When full time in the RV I installed a Whirlpool AWE 6517 top loading slim-line automatic washing machine.... but not practical in a small eurovan.. and needs 240v mains and a good supply of water..

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
If anyone wants a washing machine we are going to be at Malvern. If you let me know I can save one, as we only carry limited stock at shows.
@jezport what type of washing machine do you sell and how much are they, currently looking at the idea of having our own means of washing our clothes.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp

Having done all the above, we found that washing isn't a problem. It's the drying. A simple little spin dryer gets everything almost dry (ours spins at 2200 rpm) and a bit of breeze finishes them off (our current van is much smaller than our last one so space at a real premium). On a long trip though, we save the space and use local launderettes. Either self-serve or leave and collect - works out more convenient for us when away for the winter.[/QUOTE

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
From brand new, wear them one week, turn inside out, wear for another week, throw away:hot:

Job sorted:hi5:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
@jezport what type of washing machine do you sell and how much are they, currently looking at the idea of having our own means of washing our clothes.
We have these and do them at £69.99 for funsters
73FEQ_SQ1_0000000088_NO_COLOR_SLf

Broken Link Removed

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've got one a little twin tub had it at least 8 years great bit of kit especially the spinner.
Launderettes in campsites tend to be expensive and inefficient plus who wants to sit around there all day plus you can never get a machine when you want one. As for finding launderettes in town got better things to do than lug washing around trying to find a launderette.
So on extended trips our little twin tub earns its space, we normally have a day do the washing, clean van right through and cook a nice roast dinner by the end of the day everything is done and put away and my bellies full. :xThumb::xThumb:

pigginchilli

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Town Yetholm
Funster No
MH
low line.
Exp
Thats what we used to do before i had to work full time again! Hope your well mate.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
From brand new, wear them one week, turn inside out, wear for another week, throw away:hot:

Job sorted:hi5:

No, no, that's a waste........ Buy brand new, buy cheap , wear them one week, then turn them around and wear for another week. Then turn inside out and wear for a third week, then finally turn them again for the forth and final week. Throw away. :emo: :mask:

You could, of course, make the one week into two weeks or even one month if the mood takes you. :blush:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Afraid we only have room for a bucket and a ponch,,,does the job though for clothes,,bedding,,,,we use a machine on site,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back