Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Hola guys
We're going up to La Rochelle area for a couple of weeks in September. Does anyone have any advise or memories re using campsites and Aires in this area please.
Normally we've just bypassed this part of France on our way to UK.
Many thanks in advance.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We too will be around that area on our way to "Twin lakes". Probably take a look at Ile de rey and just turn up and see.
I would also be interested in some hints and tips.
Phil

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
My two favourites - from Campercontact.

image.png

image.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
This ones good too
A winery, with free water and electricity
They make decent wine too

image.png

OP
OP
Millibobs

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Never met a funster in all my years of visiting Europe from our home in Spain. We will be in our 2002 Fiat/Benimar Europa on Spanish plates around the islands and nearby for two or three weeks. Give a wave or chat please

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Us too along with @cliffandger....maybe see you on an aire somwhere, please leave room for 2 little uns.
Shouldn't that be 4 little uns! ;) Although afternoon tea is going to scupper it for me this week.... :(

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Shouldn't that be 4 little uns! ;) Although afternoon tea is going to scupper it for me this week.... :(
I meant 2 little vans, I'm going to be panicking now that all the spaces on the Aires will be taken up with Funsters!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I meant 2 little vans, I'm going to be panicking now that all the spaces on the Aires will be taken up with Funsters!
So 6 little uns then! Don't worry - if they are all Funsters they won't mind budging up to let 2 little uns in! (y) And then i'll get the uke out and we will miraculously have the aires to ourselves!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For La Rochelle itself there's an aire at the Park & Ride - a bit dear but price includes free bus into the town, although it's not all that far.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We visit the beautiful Ile de Re every Sept. Stunning and perfect for biking. Also bus runs to La Rochelle from there so great for the day. We don't use aires normally as is our hols and we love to have pools, read, enjoy pitches and leave our stuff out to go off biking or walking. However, the campsites, (spesh with acsi) card are fab, used several and all good so far. There are a few aires, although the first one across the bridge packs vans in like sardines !

D

DM14742

Deleted User
We'll be there too! I've been trying to decide whether to do the Vendee and drop down to La Rochelle or come more direct and do the Ile de Re at a more leisurely pace and then work our way down to Royan and then twin lakes. Are there any places of interest in that area between the two? We would love to hit on a few medieval market towns similar to the ones in the Dordogne!

D

DM14742

Deleted User
We visit the beautiful Ile de Re every Sept. Stunning and perfect for biking. Also bus runs to La Rochelle from there so great for the day. We don't use aires normally as is our hols and we love to have pools, read, enjoy pitches and leave our stuff out to go off biking or walking. However, the campsites, (spesh with acsi) card are fab, used several and all good so far. There are a few aires, although the first one across the bridge packs vans in like sardines !
Do you know if dogs are allowed on the buses?

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
Do you know if dogs are allowed on the buses?
I don't know for sure but they do allow dogs on the bus from the La Rochelle park and ride aire so I would guess they do. We stayed there near the end of July and took both our dogs on the bus.

Allan

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
La Rochelle - Ave Jean Moulin P&R

Ile d'Oleron
Chateau d'Oleron - cheap campsite beside ramparts plus large aire (ex campsite, big grassy pitches, EHU) about a mile further down the same road.
Other aires dotted around including another ex-campsite at Saint-Denis d'Oleron.

Ile de Re
Saint-Martin-de-Re - Municipal campsite inside walls, fairly low cost, very convenient, aire close by.
Bois-Plage-en-Re - lower cost MH compound attached to Camping Amis de la Plage. Easy beach access.
Other aires dotted around - Bois Plage is our favourite.

Ile Madame - small island very close to mainland with tidal causeway. Campsite, but also loads of potential overnight stopovers around the edges.

All the islands are ideally suited for bikes, so if you use them, take them. Oleron and Re are not incredibly MH friendly beyond the campsites and aires so parking can be an issue.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Snap !! we are going to Twin Lakes to with another member Pat in her wee camper !! never did that area as we usually head to Spain !
Going Calais- Caen - St Nazaire - La Rochelle following the road south and keeping the Bay of Biscay on our right side,nice and slow taking 9 days to do approx 650 miles !!
10 year Funster sicker and Smiley funster stickers ore on the windscreen !! hope to meet up with the other Funsters en route !!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
As a follow up to my earlier post, we spent 8 days last month at the Bois Plage en Re aire attached to the Amis de la Plage campsite. Considering we barely stay more than 3 nights anywhere that was an exceptional duration for us. It was 12.90 Euros a night for a soft pitch with EHU, beach shower, and an hour's wi-fi. Further wi-fi was 3 Euros a day from campsite reception. Pitch price goes up a bit in the high season but it's open all year. Service point was free to dump but pay for water at 3 Euros for 100 litres, but there's a drinking water tap on the outside of the nearby public loo next to the beach entrance so the judicious use of a smallish water container can solve that issue. If you end up under the trees it will stop your satellite signal. Sunniest pitches are right at the top end on the left. The exit gate struggles with British bank cards so you have to go to reception to get your ticket sorted, from 9am onwards. Very convenient for cycling - we went up to Ars-en-Re and Loix, and down as far as Rivedoux-Plage and the Re bridge from Bois Plage and we are by no means energetic cyclists.

There's a similar set up at Rivedoux Plage, run by the same campsite company (Campeole), but as it's right next to the bridge it's not as central as Bois Plage, and the west facing beach there is horribly commercial. For exploring the top end of the island use the St Clement de Baleines aire, unless you're energetic cyclists.

Main problem at busy times on Re is that 90% of the cyclists are effing clueless regarding basic road safety, especially family groups. It must drive the locals scatty. That aside, it's a lovely place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back