LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Due to an underperforming fridge over the recent hot weather I have Purchased 2 X 120mm fans, which will be switched individually so I can test performance.

My question to the panel is, where do I fit them on the fridge vents.

1 top and 1 bottom, both sucking, lower blowing in and upper sucking out?

Any help gratefully received.

Hymie

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Good question, I'm going to do the same but can't remember either! :D

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Fit them both to the top
I attached mins to the ton vent with cable ties and then used a quick release cable plug in case the vent needed removing

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Both blowing out then Robert?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Do these fans make a noticeable difference as there seems to be information on fitting etc but have seen no reports on whether they have any effect?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Also - I used a computer fan cable splitter which enables me to plug both fans into a shared power supply, so that if either of the fans packs up I only have to unplug the faulty unit.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You want them blowing out for safety. If they are blowing in they could blow fumes into the vehicle. It also makes sense as hot air rises so sucking at the top just helps the natural convection current. But I fitted mine close to the evaporator (the finned bit) not in the vent itself because that is some distance away from the back of the fridge in our vehicle. But if the evaporator is just behind the vent you should be fine. I only fitted one but am going to buy a second.

P8080011.jpg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Do these fans make a noticeable difference as there seems to be information on fitting etc but have seen no reports on whether they have any effect?
They're only useful if it's above 25 degrees C outside. Above this temperature a Dometic fridge can lose performance. I heard this direct from a Dometic service engineer.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Also - I used a computer fan cable splitter which enables me to plug both fans into a shared power supply, so that if either of the fans packs up I only have to unplug the faulty unit.
I fitted two mini computer fans at the back, but set them on 'blow'. They pull air over the top of the fridge, and are directed at the cooling vanes, as DBK has shown. Started doing this about ten years ago with the narrowboat fridge, marked difference in actuation time of the fridge switch on/off cycle. Powered from the 12 volt takeoff from the fridge itself. (used 12volt fans instead of 5.5 volts).

Deleted User
I have just bought 2 120mm computer fans for the fridge and whilst I know where to fit them I am a little at sea as to the electrical connection.

How do I wire a digital thermostat or a surface mounted switch to enable one fan or two, is there a standard colour for the 12v feed to the fridge which powers the light as opposed to the main 12 volt feed which is only activated when the engine is running.

Where do I buy the digital thermostat or surface mounted switch a google search as not found a suitable switch. I did try and buy a kit but everyone is out of dtock.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Dometic actually produce a fan and thermostat, I've just ordered one through a Dometic Engineer though I am not sure of the exact cost.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I have just bought 2 120mm computer fans for the fridge and whilst I know where to fit them I am a little at sea as to the electrical connection.

How do I wire a digital thermostat or a surface mounted switch to enable one fan or two, is there a standard colour for the 12v feed to the fridge which powers the light as opposed to the main 12 volt feed which is only activated when the engine is running.

Where do I buy the digital thermostat or surface mounted switch a google search as not found a suitable switch. I did try and buy a kit but everyone is out of dtock.
I connected my thermostat to a totally different supply than the fridge or fridge light.
I connected mine to a power supply I found in my Toilet Casette cabinet. Used a multimeter to check the correct polarity as my van is German. Blue was live and black is Negative. I fitted a 1a Lin line fuse too.

I bought one thermostat on EBay - the other identical one from Amazon

Hope this makes sense

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

There's a link on here to the thermostat I bought: http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/fridge-cooling-fan.113667/
The problem with the fans is getting the polarity right, they don't run backwards if you connect them the wrong way round - they just die in my experience having burned out two before I realised this! For the electrical supply I can only suggest poking around with a cheap multi-meter to find a suitable supply and check what it does when the ignition is turned off.

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I am just in the process of fitting 3x SATA 90cm computer fans to the upper vents on my
Dometic fridge.
I am using WAGO spring lever push fit connectors. I know they are a little pricey
but should anything fail, or I may want to modify this arrangement then its simple
to open these connectors and change the set up.

OP
OP
Hymie

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Thanks Robert, I did realise my mistake when the confirmation email came through, I will alter it this morning,

I won't go down the fan in fridge route as my fridge is the original antique that came with the van 25 years ago.

Hymie

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Finished my set up today...3x SATA computer fans @ 97p each, including P&P, temperature switch 99p,
12v on/off switch 99p and a in line fuse also @ 99p.......add a length of 12v cable....all from fleabay a little of your time and the job is good. Very pleased, it works well.

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I might add one of these.....I`ll see how the temperature switch works first.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back