Electric scooters,yay or nay? (1 Viewer)

Rapiscan

Free Member
Aug 25, 2009
manchester
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
1 MONTH..RETURNING AFTER 20 YRS
Im about to take delivery of an electric scooter to carry on the back of my kontiki to enable me to pootle about.Its an Ego Street Scoot,1.4Kw 48v optimisticaly does 30mph ,range of 40 miles max and costs 10p of leccy to fully recharge over 6-8hrs.Insurance is cheap,free road tax!As i usually use Mains hookup on sites i envisage it will sit chained on the scooter rack plugged in thru a window as i kip ready for the next days mooch..ive even seen one carrying 2 people with a combined weight of 24st albeit with reduced but still usefull performance,has anyone else on here done this yet and if so what have been your experiences good or bad....?Ta very much for any advise,info.:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Im about to take delivery of an electric scooter:thumb:

It's the way of the future.

Some problems for MHs. Heavy and since the scooter batteries are bigger than the MH you can only recharge on hook up. Plus the usual problems of charge time and range.

Another few years should make a big difference.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi review here: Link Removed by the gadget show.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have been into this subject in detail. We live in south London and as my daughter is going to UNI at the LSE (central London) was thinking of one for getting around on. To UNI, home, her part time job, friends etc.....and no parking or congestion charge

Have you tried one? I doubt if you would be buying one if you had:Sad: They are incredibly under powered. have a look on you tube there is a video of one and a push bike (non electric) bike easily out accelerates it and thats on the flat! you can forget about hills and as for 2 up! And as for the range be very very careful, I doubt that you would get more the 25 miles. at least on our E bikes we can cyccle home if batteries were to ever run out. but they have a 40-50 mile range so unlikely.

there are better ones with 3000-4000 watt motors that will do what you want but they cost 2-3K upwards some over 6k! I missed a decent German one went for 900 on ebay the other week, and that was a 3k model BUT it was 18 months old and you will need new batteries at approx 2 years with any of these. LIFePO4 batteries are a lot better but these are expensive.

Sorry, but you would really be better of with a petrol model unless you want to spend real money. we use 2 electric bikes and they work very well...we stash them in our garage and have given up the idea of A arme /towing etc

Just watched Olleys link. its amazing what you can do by speeding up the film!

have tried to find the more revealing you tube vid but I cant

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi review here: Link Removed by the gadget show.
Olley

Interesting report and quite fair I'd say.

But £999 is just too cheap, I can't see quality at that price. Looks like it's Lead Acid which is one massive price saving and massive weight gain.

Soon though, with LiPo batteries coming down in price it will shed some of that weight.

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi. The comments on here do seem to make sense but then why have the people on that show given it such a good review? Looked ok in the movie. Is there any particular reason you have opted for an electric scooter? We have a scooter on our Kontiki (see Avatar with Mrs D on it) but electrics no good for us as we wild camp all the time. If it does do 40 miles then this is ok as thats probably as far as you want to go on something that size. Ours is 100cc and will top 60mph but typical trips are seldom more than 40 miles or so in one go. The batteries in the electric scooter must be heavy as it weights 104KG which is 8KG more than our Peugeot Speedfight. One other thing (and Im being serious here) when you get it watch out for idiot pedestrians who might not hear you coming! You can hear ours a mile off!

What I will say is that the scooter is a fantastic idea and offers you so much freedom. You can park the van in out of town or less busy places and when you explore you dont need to worry about going down little lanes and the like. Oh and you can park it just about anywhere. Best addition we made I reckon.

Cheers, and good luck, Keep us posted on how you get on.

Barry

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But the movie was speeded up it was very obvious........The gadget show is more like an advertising show and is funded by a con trick via 0906 numbers? Err...whats the capital of Enland? (Paris, new york or London?) type questions to get 1000's to phone in.:Sad:

their recent E bike comparison was a farce and totally biased. and I find their child like unquestioning enthusiasm nauseating and misleading:Cool:

Petrol scooter def better choice, but E bikes better still!::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The gadget show is more like an advertising show and is funded by a con trick

and I find their child like unquestioning enthusiasm nauseating and misleading:Cool:

It wasn't the Gadget Show, it was The Telegraph.

But I have to agree with you on GS it's crap piled on crap on crap copied from Top Gear. Meaningless drivel. I did watch the Ebike test when it was advertised. The winner was a gem but what a price. Television has run out of ideas - end of story.

Bring back Raymond Baxter.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It wasn't the Gadget Show, it was The Telegraph.

But I have to agree with you on GS it's crap piled on crap on crap copied from Top Gear. Meaningless drivel. I did watch the Ebike test when it was advertised. The winner was a gem but what a price. Television has run out of ideas - end of story.

Bring back Raymond Baxter.

Yes someone you could believe......

The Ezee is unquestionably a good bike. but has been suffering with battery issues for sometime. distribution as of this week has been taken over by "Onbike" and the battery issue has been apparently sorted. but I still think the Wisper are better bikes simply because of the backup and support. the Wisper is probably the most popular throttle assist bike in the UK and the Gadget show didn't even mention it! lol

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
But the movie was speeded up it was very obvious........The gadget show is more like an advertising show and is funded by a con trick via 0906 numbers? Err...whats the capital of Enland? (Paris, new york or London?) type questions to get 1000's to phone in.:Sad:

their recent E bike comparison was a farce and totally biased. and I find their child like unquestioning enthusiasm nauseating and misleading:Cool:

Petrol scooter def better choice, but E bikes better still!::bigsmile:

So it looks like a bit of a con then. whats it doing in the telegraph then? Surely thats not right.

I am intreaged as to why E Bikes are a better choice than a petrol scooter though. Been up 4000ft mountains on ours, carries tons of shopping underseat and in top box, carries two people at up to 60mph, does 80mpg and doesnt need to be plugged in when your not on hookup for weeks on end like we seldom are. Why would an E Bike be better still?

Barry

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am intreaged as to why E Bikes are a better choice than a petrol scooter though.
Barry

We'd have a petrol bike on the back if only we could stand the weight - so instead a couple of electric pushbikes. Which are OK for short distances.

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I can see the argument for weight Brian but this isnt an issue for the OP as his electric bike is 104 KG (same as most 100cc scooters)

Oy JIM! I like Top Gear! Whats that say about me then huh????:Angry:

Barry

Upvote 0

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
One other thing (and Im being serious here) when you get it watch out for idiot pedestrians who might not hear you coming! You can hear ours a mile off!

Barry

Barry reall isn't joking.
We have a Prius and the number of people who walk out in front ( and behind ) us is unbelievable.:winky:

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I am intreaged as to why E Bikes are a better choice than a petrol scooter though. Been up 4000ft mountains on ours, carries tons of shopping underseat and in top box, carries two people at up to 60mph, does 80mpg and doesnt need to be plugged in when your not on hookup for weeks on end like we seldom are. Why would an E Bike be better still?

Barry

“Petrol scooter def better choice, but E bikes better still! ::bigsmile:

The smiley on the end mean I’m not entirely serious? Like Brian says not many can carry scooters as simply no spare capacity on axle or payload. So not a choice for many I’m afraid

We discovered E bikes last year and I can be a bit evangelical on the subject! Lol We carry 2 e bikes and 2 conventional bikes for my teenagers. Had previously considered A frame but glad I did not. I tried this in Italy/Switzerland tour last summer for a month and it worked really well. The assistance helps with the hills and with 4 panniers between us we can do a reasonable shop and hardly needed to move the van.

No insurance – no tax – no licence – no smelly and expensive fuel – no MOT – no parking cost – no noise – no worries re drinking and riding (within reason:winky:)

In Italy last year we could cycle out have a nice lunch and a decent drink and not worry re riding home

I use mine daily and I just sail pass the traffic jams in south London, I find it quicker and more fun and you are getting aerobic exercise as well as you pedal.......E Bikes are relatively new and many have still not caught on to the advantages. its just another choice thats all........

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
E Bikes are relatively new and many have still not caught on to the advantages.

Guess who forgot to pack the batteries last WE !

I have *definitely* caught on to the advantages now - my bike is geared all wrong for pedalling. Still I'm sure it did me more good.

Now that LiPo is the norm it's getting to be a good time to join the club. DO NOT buy any other battery !! My bike is NiMH, my wife's LiPo she goes faster and further than I can.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Guess who forgot to pack the batteries last WE !

I have *definitely* caught on to the advantages now - my bike is geared all wrong for pedalling. Still I'm sure it did me more good.

Now that LiPo is the norm it's getting to be a good time to join the club. DO NOT buy any other battery !! My bike is NiMH, my wife's LiPo she goes faster and further than I can.

what make bikes have you Brian?

you can always but Ping LIFePO4 batteries from china via ebay I think? and carry them in a bag on your pannier, rather then buy a new bike

have a look on pedelecs forum

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
“Petrol scooter def better choice, but E bikes better still! ::bigsmile:

The smiley on the end mean I’m not entirely serious? Like Brian says not many can carry scooters as simply no spare capacity on axle or payload. So not a choice for many I’m afraid

We discovered E bikes last year and I can be a bit evangelical on the subject! Lol We carry 2 e bikes and 2 conventional bikes for my teenagers. Had previously considered A frame but glad I did not. I tried this in Italy/Switzerland tour last summer for a month and it worked really well. The assistance helps with the hills and with 4 panniers between us we can do a reasonable shop and hardly needed to move the van.

No insurance – no tax – no licence – no smelly and expensive fuel – no MOT – no parking cost – no noise – no worries re drinking and riding (within reason:winky:)

In Italy last year we could cycle out have a nice lunch and a decent drink and not worry re riding home

I use mine daily and I just sail pass the traffic jams in south London, I find it quicker and more fun and you are getting aerobic exercise as well as you pedal.......E Bikes are relatively new and many have still not caught on to the advantages. its just another choice thats all........

They do sound great and I guess this technology will only improve. Good point about having a drinky. Never considered that. I usually have one beer or wine max on the bike. Its scary enough wizzing around Italy or France sober as it is! Great as well if you live in London like you say, its getting used all the time and of course you go home each evening to charge it up. One downside of our scooter is that it meant we lost the traditional bike rack off the back so Mrs D had to have folding mountain bike that stores in the Luton. Its ok but not as good as her rigid frame bike. I dont have a push bike as my knees are knackered but often follow on the scooter shouting encouragement to Mrs D as she peddles up a 25% hill.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
They do sound great and I guess this technology will only improve. Good point about having a drinky. Never considered that. I usually have one beer or wine max on the bike. Its scary enough wizzing around Italy or France sober as it is! Great as well if you live in London like you say, its getting used all the time and of course you go home each evening to charge it up. One downside of our scooter is that it meant we lost the traditional bike rack off the back so Mrs D had to have folding mountain bike that stores in the Luton. Its ok but not as good as her rigid frame bike. I dont have a push bike as my knees are knackered but often follow on the scooter shouting encouragement to Mrs D as she peddles up a 25% hill.:ROFLMAO:

you can but pretty decent folding e bikes as well Barry

Upvote 0

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
Electric Bike

We bought one 18 months ago in Turkey with a 250 watt motor. We use it 3 months a year while out there and I go everywhere on it all the time and never had a thing go wrong with it. It does 30 miles with ease and never runs out of battery if you peddle now and then when the battery gets low. Not really suited for 2, though after a few at night we always do and it takes up some steep inclines home too, though slowly. We would never be without it, and it only cost us £360. We even took the folding trailer (£99 from Stratford Show) and carry 30kg of oranges from the local market on it with ease (well it waters down the Vodka so to speak). Yes, well worth having, though as stated needs mains to charge.

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
you can but pretty decent folding e bikes as well Barry

AGHHHH! Im not buying anything else! Not being very green I like the sound and smell of our little 2 stroke. It seems especially fitting when flying around somewhere like St Tropez or the italian lakes in just shorts and T Shirts.

We bought one 18 months ago in Turkey with a 250 watt motor. We use it 3 months a year while out there and I go everywhere on it all the time and never had a thing go wrong with it. It does 30 miles with ease and never runs out of battery if you peddle now and then when the battery gets low. Not really suited for 2, though after a few at night we always do and it takes up some steep inclines home too, though slowly. We would never be without it, and it only cost us £360. We even took the folding trailer (£99 from Stratford Show) and carry 30kg of oranges from the local market on it with ease (well it waters down the Vodka so to speak). Yes, well worth having, though as stated needs mains to charge.

Sounds fantastic. I love the fact that many of us have found ways of getting about when the vans are parked. £360! sounds a bargain. Not sure why you would need 30KG of oranges though but there you go! Screwdrivers all around in your van then!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Anyone tried one of these? :roflmto:

Plenty of room in the back seat for the missus. :winky:

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Mornin all, Had a test ride on a E Solex yesterday, was very impressed with it, am 15 stone and it carried me along very well. I only had the test ride becouse I had several of the original 2 stroke models over the years,and wanted to see how these electric ones performed against the original.
If I was in the market for an electric bike,which I hasten to add am not, Am more than happy with my Spartamet. I would definatly consider this,if it lasts as long as the original Solex`s it will be very good.
There must be millions of the originals left lying around in peoples sheds in rural France.

Upvote 0

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I have ridden several thousand miles on electric scooters. Top speed governed at 62mph. I used to deliver/demonstrate/test them. They weigh 230kg:Eeek:

All companies trying to sell you something are 'economical with the truth'. The electric vehicle industry mostly seem to have no concept of truth particularly when it comes to range.

Exaggerating the range also affects the economics of electric vehicles so they get a double whammy.

But I still think it is the way to go. I loved riding them but as previous posters have pointed out they have to be ridden cautiously where there are pedestrians. They just don't know you are there.:Doh:

As a wild camper I need a hybrid. The new Piaggio is a great disappointment. I'll just keep waiting & dreaming.

Upvote 0

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I have ridden several thousand miles on electric scooters. Top speed governed at 62mph. I used to deliver/demonstrate/test them. They weigh 230kg:Eeek:

All companies trying to sell you something are 'economical with the truth'. The electric vehicle industry mostly seem to have no concept of truth particularly when it comes to range.

Exaggerating the range also affects the economics of electric vehicles so they get a double whammy.

But I still think it is the way to go. I loved riding them but as previous posters have pointed out they have to be ridden cautiously where there are pedestrians. They just don't know you are there.:Doh:

As a wild camper I need a hybrid. The new Piaggio is a great disappointment. I'll just keep waiting & dreaming.

230KG!!!!! thats like half a house! No way can most vans take that!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back