Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
hi all

We are off to France for the first time in our motorhome next month having been there loads when motorbike touring.

We are going to mainly do Aires but with a campsite thrown in here and there

Few questions

Do I need any adapters for the hook ups and water filler points?

Is the acsi thing quick to join?

What's the best data sim to get a UK one or a French one for our MiFi?

If you have to pay on an Aire is it just like a pay and display machine and do they take UK cards or just cash?

Is LPG widely available?

Is wild camping accepted or frowned upon?

I've never driven a rhd vehicle in France before should I be worried!!

TIA !!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes you need to take adaptors for electric you can buy them ready made
ACSI is pretty easy Vicarious books still have 2016 books
Get a 3 data sim pre loaded 12gb good offers around online
Aires are either tokens or cash usually get tokens locally lots of different ones
LPG if you have refillables plenty of filling stations with it.
No opinion on wilding as Aires always available and lots are free
Driving is easy don't worry about it.
Go and enjoy your trip(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Good luck

Reactions: DBK

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
For lpg get the app. mylpg.eu
Overnight parking in general not a problem as long as you're not causing an obstruction.
We often use supermarket carparks, village squares or any off road parking
Enjoy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
hi all

We are off to France for the first time in our motorhome next month having been there loads when motorbike touring.

We are going to mainly do Aires but with a campsite thrown in here and there

Few questions

Do I need any adapters for the hook ups and water filler points?
Can't remember the last time I used anything other than the basic EHU cable in France BUT take plenty of cable. The hookups can be some distance away.
Water filler points - I use a jerry can. The Hozelock type click on and screw on hose adapters are usually enough.

If you have to pay on an Aire is it just like a pay and display machine and do they take UK cards or just cash?
Easiest to assume they DON'T take UK cards and be pleasantly surprised when they do. Carry a pot of Euro change in the MH. Any Euro coins or 50 cents you get, chuck in the pot.

Is LPG widely available?
Yes, but gas bottles are a different spec and petrol station LPG pumps will need an adapter attaching to your gas inlet. In France LPG is 'GPL'. Don't confuse this with pumps labelled 'PL' which are diesel pumps with wider nozzles for heavy vehicles like trucks (Poids Lourds). Furthermore, it's best if your LPG inlet is fixed through the wall of the vehicle, and not a separate item inside the gas locker. Some stations won't let you fill the latter type.

Is wild camping accepted or frowned upon?
Plenty of parking areas tolerate overnight MH parking including quite a few supermarkets, but personally I'd check the Camping-Car Infos website first, and download their free SatNav POI files just before setting off. We navigate from one place to another using their POIs. You shouldn't need to wild camp in the middle of nowhere as there's usually enough aire spaces or MH tolerant car parks.

I've never driven a rhd vehicle in France before should I be worried!!
No. You'll adapt surprisingly quickly. You're next to the kerb so overtaking and negotiating narrower roads is to a certain extent easier. Just make sure your left hand side mirrors are set wide enough for Autoroute driving as their top speed limit is 80mph so cars will come up faster on your outside.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Yes you need to take adaptors for electric you can buy them ready made
ACSI is pretty easy Vicarious books still have 2016 books
Get a 3 data sim pre loaded 12gb good offers around online
Aires are either tokens or cash usually get tokens locally lots of different ones
LPG if you have refillables plenty of filling stations with it.
No opinion on wilding as Aires always available and lots are free
Driving is easy don't worry about it.
Go and enjoy your trip(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Good luck

Re; the 3 data sim card.

The price from 3 themselves is £30. Don't be conned by some shysters on Fleabay that are asking upwards of £45 for the same thing.

What you are looking for is a 3 Data Sim Card that has 12gb. It lasts 12mths from the day of activation and can be used in the 'Feel at Home' programme' which means you can use it in France.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Re; the 3 data sim card.

The price from 3 themselves is £30. Don't be conned by some shysters on Fleabay that are asking upwards of £45 for the same thing.

What you are looking for is a 3 Data Sim Card that has 12gb. It lasts 12mths from the day of activation and can be used in the 'Feel at Home' programme' which means you can use it in France.
Mymemory.com £23

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I take one of these and occasionally have to use it
$_35.jpg

I also have a reverse polarity cable made up which I tend to need 50% of the time.

I have a selection of hoselock connectors for the water and I have one of those stretchy hose's that expand when under pressure.

3 sim generally works fine but speeds can be slow. fine for email and web browsing.

Driving is easy . much easier than the UK. RHD is no problem. Passenger is handy for checking its clear when entering roundabouts.

OP
OP
Big Nick

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry for the thick question but what's this reverse polarity thing and what do I need to sort it?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Driving in Euroland:

When you get to a T-junction (or cross roads), get into the habit of always looking LEFT first. The reverse of what you'd do in the UK. Works for me !!!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry for the thick question but what's this reverse polarity thing and what do I need to sort it?
The reverse polarity thing is a bit of a 'damp squib' really. Some places are not too bothered whether their wiring has the live and neutral the other way round. This is usually immaterial but some people make up a cable that swaps them back.

Oh, and MOST hookups are the same as the UK ones.
Wyn

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Reverse polarity:

It's where the neutral and live wires are reversed. More dangerous is, no earth. Suggest you purchase a 240v electric tester, available at any Caravan store for about £10.

Most Euro vans have double pole switches, so reverse polarity doesn't matter. UK vans tend to have single pole switching so there maybe more of a chance of getting a shock.

I never worry but if I got a supply with "no earth" I'd be very cautious.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Watch some old episodes of Allo Allo to learn the language:):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back