Free Member
Oct 4, 2014
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi
What's the best way to fit battens along van walls and roof for ply lining and fittings etc.
Do I silkaflex wood strips or is there a better way.
I was thinking of metal plates at each end screwed onto van ribs is there any good tips before I start.
Oh I have no idea of van layout but I want battens in before I spray foam

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
What's the best way to fit battens along van walls and roof for ply lining and fittings etc.
Do I silkaflex wood strips or is there a better way.
I was thinking of metal plates at each end screwed onto van ribs is there any good tips before I start.
Oh I have no idea of van layout but I want battens in before I spray foam

I used 5mm ply cut into strips for the roof. I then used a polyurethane foaming glue to stick it to the ceiling. That stuff is incredible.

for the walls I screwed the panels directly to the ribs after applying a foam strip.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: Once you have battened everything, remember to mask them off before spray foaming. It takes ages to scrape the foam off otherwise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Careful use of selfdrill screws was my preferred route. You must measure carefully before using the screws & I also applied waxoil to prevent rust, but I suppose using sikaflex might work, what would you do if a batten sprung loose? Remember too that very few surfaces in your van will be straight, invariably there is a bend on the metal etc. Also remember that you must add a vapour barrier too. One further thing to take into account is that many household insulation materials are completely unsuitable for motorhomes, they hold the damp & vapours that build up in the vehicle & soon begin to stink to high heavens.
Hope all goes well with your build & please post photo's for us to peruse.

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I lined 2 Transit Connect panel vans. Floor, sides and roof.
Never done it before.
I stuck battens to the roof with Stixall from Toolstation and then screwed the roofply to the battens.
Those roof panel got very hot during the summers but all the battens stayed put.
For the side panels I fixed wooden blocks/battens into the body cavity openings (difficult to explain) and simply screwed the ply at those points. There were enough fixing points to hold the ply securely.

Upvote 0

surfbum

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
10 years
Stixall for me too, incredable stuff.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Make cuts along batten every couple if inches with tennon saw almost half way through butter that side with sicaflex will follow the contours of roof/sides prop in place and leave it a day .ply line it after roof first with dabs of sica as well as screws if you want. The sides scribed and cut to shape will support the roof and keep its shape .lots of other ways no doubt but the way we did our own fitted roofs also boats .

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yomper

Yomper

Free Member
Oct 4, 2014
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks for the tips. Can't wait to start and I'll be taking photos along the way. Thus weekend I'm going to order a generator and decent jig etc. just doing my research into them as honda is beyond what I want to pay.
Once I get holes cut battens in roof vents cut and flooring ply lining I'll be in a much calmer state.
Any good website to buy waste water tanks etc?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
cak tanks have everything you could need tank wise, but expensive. O'learys are much cheaper but may have something you can make fit

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
look at my blog and photos links in the sig will give you some ideas i run some strips of ply in center and either side roughly where i would want lockers and walls to fix too

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yomper

Yomper

Free Member
Oct 4, 2014
milton keynes
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks more for help. Already put a bid in that thread for fenny. Looking at your blog next. That's a huge waste tank. I only wanted a smallish 40 litre underneath tank. Will look at them sites

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back