Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
All this talk about the double skillet got me thinking about all the cooking related stuff we carry in our van!
  • Double Skillet, its old now, handles broken, misshapen, doesn't lock together properly, but it warms a croissant better that a Parisian bakers oven
  • Remoska, Siân loves it. Though it's big and hard to store, and, where do you put that red hot lid???!!! but the food it produces, everything from winter stews, full Sunday roasts and baked fish.
  • Gas Boiling Rings, these little £10 cookers are so versatile, they'll cook a fresh mackerel on the beach, they'll cook a meal for 4 when you've run out of gas, they'll keep those curry aromas outside.
  • Real Charcoal BBQ Go away with your fashionable little Cadacs, that is NOT barbecuing, and most of you just use the paella pan, so its not a barbie its a fry up. Real men use real charcoal.
  • Cobb Would never be without it. No matter where you are in the world you can by a whole chicken and NOTHING cooks a chicken like a Cobb. And you can sink a fair few San Miguels while your waiting and being teased by the aromas.

Sunday Lunch in Portugal on a Cobb

Cobb-1-2.jpg

Cobb-1.jpg

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
My skillet has seen better days too,but if I don't cook anything that sticks I'm ok, I use the remoska more now I'm on ehu anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Our skillet seems to be filed at the back of the pots since we changed mh to one with an oven. I rarely cook anyway and just eat what I am given. :)

Reactions: Jim
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Every time I see any photos of remoskas or double skillets it seems that meat/chicken is being cooked. Which is why in my previous post I specified that we don't eat meat and this is the main reason why I'm wondering if either would be of any use to me, or perhaps neither. Any veggies out there who could comment or the pros and cons of remoska vs double skillet for non meat eaters?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Every time I see any photos of remoskas or double skillets it seems that meat/chicken is being cooked. Which is why in my previous post I specified that we don't eat meat and this is the main reason why I'm wondering if either would be of any use to me, or perhaps neither. Any veggies out there who could comment or the pros and cons of remoska vs double skillet for non meat eaters?
This is probably no help unless you have an oven but we use our oven a lot for roasting vegetables, like these roast peppers:*

OI000280~5.jpg

From what I read you should be able to do these in a skillet though I've never used one or eaten the produce from one. My only concern would be that being an enclosed vessel is there a danger of things being steamed rather than roasted? But that's only a guess - it needs a proper trial to determine the difference between a skillet and an oven. :) Apart from the obvious of course. One fits in a cupboard, the other can be used as a cupboard. :)

*@jumartoo has made these but I don't know if she used an oven or not.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Veggies commenting on BBQ posts? Lol

Open a bag or salad and a bag of nuts and your done

Aren't you?;)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I don't cook in our Moho, I have staff that do that sort of thing donchaknow :D

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010

Ann, I haven't got either, so probably am not the right one to comment, but I'm just wondering what veggie food you'd be wanting to cook on a skillet or remoska. I may well be wrong, but I have the impression they're probably more useful for cooking things that need long or slow cooking, whereas I imagine that most veggie food is cooked more quickly - apart from roast veg, of course.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Remoska, does do lovely cheese on toast and although I haven't tried baked peppers I can t see any reason why they shouldn't do perfectly well.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
If you use an oven at home to cook any veggie meals then I would say that you would benefit from having either a Remoska or a DS in the van. You can do exactly the same things in them as you would at home.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Having a dimensionally-challenged campervan, my cooking gear comprises:
  1. Double-skillet (small) - glad to see I'm not the only one with a DS that's falling apart and losing it's non-stick. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong :D
  2. Small saucepan/milk pan
  3. Small frying pan
  4. 'Suitcase' gas stove for cooking outside - seems to go through disposable gas cannisters very quickly.
The frying pan is a recent addition, and is only dragged out when the DS is already in use. Otherwise I'd always split the DS and use that instead, especially as I can then stick the glass lid on it if things get out of control :whistle:.

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Cook a lot in moho - just two saucepans, sauté pan with lid and omelette pan; gas over with two small roasting pans and bigger flat roasting pan. Barbecue for good weather. We are rarely on mains so won't bother hauling lots of other stuff!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
All this talk about the double skillet got me thinking about all the cooking related stuff we carry in our van!
  • Double Skillet, its old now, handles broken, misshapen, doesn't lock together properly, but it warms a croissant better that a Parisian bakers oven
  • Remoska, Siân loves it. Though it's big and hard to store, and, where do you put that red hot lid???!!! but the food it produces, everything from winter stews, full Sunday roasts and baked fish.
  • Gas Boiling Rings, these little £10 cookers are so versatile, they'll cook a fresh mackerel on the beach, they'll cook a meal for 4 when you've run out of gas, they'll keep those curry aromas outside.
  • Real Charcoal BBQ Go away with your fashionable little Cadacs, that is NOT barbecuing, and most of you just use the paella pan, so its not a barbie its a fry up. Real men use real charcoal.
  • Cobb Would never be without it. No matter where you are in the world you can by a whole chicken and NOTHING cooks a chicken like a Cobb. And you can sink a fair few San Miguels while your waiting and being teased by the aromas.

Sunday Lunch in Portugal on a Cobb

View attachment 118534

View attachment 118532
Remoska ? What is one of thos
Willdbill

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think it's what the people in restaurants do before waiters bring you your food.

What it's got to do with motorhoming I don't know o_O(y):D
I checked with the butler and he informs me that indeed that is precisely what happens...... I did wonder about it......

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Having been camping/caravanning/motorhoming now for over 50 years I have cooked outdoors on all sorts of stoves (solid fuel, paraffin & gas) and BBQ's (both charcoal & gas) almost always with the obligatory cold beer(s) and/or glass(es) of wine.

For the last year however all I use is my trusty Cadac - fry/griddle/BBQ/steam roast etc and love it!! easy to use (looks like it could be easy to clean if I ever get around to that too) - and leaves ample time for the requisite number of "pre breakfast/lunch/dinner drinks" :)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Teuchter you have it just right..
We are exactly the same, plug it in to the gas on the van. Job done... and it never leaves the van.
Unfortunately we sometimes have to..
Mitch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back