LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We're being subjected to squadrons or mosquitoes on our trip around France and N Spain.

I'm not convinced that our Polish chemical weapons or UK Deet is as effective as we would like. It seems that we have to spray every inch of exposed skin directly rather than a general spray like I used to require.

What do you use to keep mossies away?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They seem to like me as well and unfortunately I seem to react badly to the bites which always seem to swiftly become the size of 50p pieces.

The other day in a pharmacy in a big Carrefour market I spotted some wristbands called Parakito which take little blocks of some kind of Citronella type thing.

On the basis that they weren't hugely expensive and wouldn't do any harm I bought one for me and one for 'er indoors.

Whether they work or whether it's coincidence I can't say but I haven't been bitten since wearing mine.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Smidge but use lots of it. However, people do seem to vary enormously in their "mozzie attractiveness index".

I used Deet products when I lived in Belize which was mozzie central, but you had to cover every square inch of your skin.

Mozzie coils lit and kept by your feet help too, at least for the ankles!

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Use plenty of garlic with your food and Avon Skin so Soft.
The second one is sprayed on - not eaten with food :)

I'd heard that it was good for keeping midges away but it didn't know that Skin so soft was good against mossies.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
We're being subjected to squadrons or mosquitoes on our trip around France and N Spain.

I'm not convinced that our Polish chemical weapons or UK Deet is as effective as we would like. It seems that we have to spray every inch of exposed skin directly rather than a general spray like I used to require.

Serves you right when you have 3 weeks and we only have 2 !:(

We are on our way back to the tunnel!:cry:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

For the ultimate protection you need a mozzie net on your face etc, hungry mozzies don't care about deet or sminge......

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
They seem to like me as well and unfortunately I seem to react badly to the bites which always seem to swiftly become the size of 50p pieces.

The other day in a pharmacy in a big Carrefour market I spotted some wristbands called Parakito which take little blocks of some kind of Citronella type thing.

On the basis that they weren't hugely expensive and wouldn't do any harm I bought one for me and one for 'er indoors.

Whether they work or whether it's coincidence I can't say but I haven't been bitten since wearing mine.

I saw them yesterday. I'd be interested to hear how effective they are over the next few days.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
For the ultimate protection you need a mozzie net on your face etc, hungry mozzies don't care about deet or sminge......

I have a couple of mossie nets in the vehicle but thought that I'd look a bit odd putting them up in the carpark while having supper :)

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Serves you right when you have 3 weeks and we only have 2 !:(

We are on our way back to the tunnel!:cry:

What do you think of the west of France?

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Smidge works for us, and a mossie spiral seems to keep the motorhome relatively clear too

We were told that, in the height of the mossie season in Scotland, only a beekeeper 's net is effective in keeping them off your face!

An alternative to creams and sprays is to eat Marmite every morning - apparently the mossies/midges like it even less than I do!!!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
May 9, 2011
Cheshire / Vale De Parra
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55
Exp
Since 2011
Mosquito Milk in a roll on works for us,whether coincidence when using it never been bitten, used to buy it in Boots, no longer sell it, so I buy on line now.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mosquito Milk in a roll on works for us,whether coincidence when using it never been bitten, used to buy it in Boots, no longer sell it, so I buy on line now.
How on earth do you milk a mozzie???? :confused:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Your best bet is to visit a pharmacy in France and ask them what they recommend. We use Marie Rose (French) and Jungle Formula maximum strength, the higher the % of Deet, the better. Keep it away from your watch and polished surfaces though!
Lavender oil put directly on a bite will sooth it.
I have very bad reactions to mossy bites if I don't cover myself with anti mossy stuff, I had one on my elbow last week, my arm looked like one of Popeyes.
I've tried wristbands and electronic repellents, none of them worked.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Just choose any campsite near where I'm staying, and they won't bother you.

I have 4 Michelin Stars in the Mozzie Good Eating guide apparently. :(

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
When we were in France last year we had masses of mozzie bites and the only cream that seemed to calm them down was Onctose Hydrocortisone cream that we bought from the local pharmacy, Anthisan just didn't work as well.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
When we were in France last year we had masses of mozzie bites and the only cream that seemed to calm them down was Onctose Hydrocortisone cream that we bought from the local pharmacy, Anthisan just didn't work as well.

We have an Onctose cream which is excellent for calming down bite inflammations. All else had failed and it was recommended by the French pharmacist.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I saw them yesterday. I'd be interested to hear how effective they are over the next few days.

We're at Parc Verger and heading North so away from mossie country but I bought them last Friday and haven't been bitten since. Most of that time was spent along the coast and in the South.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
We have an Onctose cream which is excellent for calming down bite inflammations. All else had failed and it was recommended by the French pharmacist.

I second Onctose for relief if you get bit. Us and RitaG bought tubes of the stuff during a rather large outbreak of mozzies on a September stay at Haliotis

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We used Jungle Formula and citronella bands in South Africa in the Kruger. Kept us bite free.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Another vote for Onctose, works for me (although obviously doesn't prevent bites)
The missus has some nasty bites at the moment... Out of desperation, last night she applied Zovirax (cold sore cream) preliminary results are good apparently, she thinks they're much improved..
She's also not moaning so much :LOL:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We used Jungle Formula and citronella bands in South Africa in the Kruger. Kept us bite free.

Same here & the mozzies in the Kruger have really big fangs !

Dried coffee grounds were also burnt around the Braais in the evenings which worked well too.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
WE stayed on the aire at Mont St Michelle Normandy Sept 2 years ago. This must have been built on a reclaimed swamp, never seen so many Mossies, it really freaked me out and ruined our stay there.
Phil

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

I've been taking a "broad spectrum multi B vitamin" every morning for the past few years.
I used to get eaten alive. The bites would swell up like volcanoes. Then erupt ! Yak . I'd need lotions and potions to help heal the spots then. When on family holidays I'd have loads of bites , the rest of the family non or the odd one. I'd have wrist bands ankle bands deet spayed everywhere , lit candles everything. Yet nothing worked. I looked like I'd had a really bad case of acne .
Now , if I do get bitten ( only once in Crete on our last holiday a couple of months ago!) it's just a little normal bite. Nothing major.
I shall see if it's the same when we do the north coast 500 in September ! With the midges. We've been lucky the last 2 years up there and not been plagued.
The B vitamins are good for you in general too. Marmite and beer have them in , so that's probably where the old wife's tale comes from , with those.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back