European Car Insurance Cover 'Again' (1 Viewer)

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Sorry to bring this up from an old thread
www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/european-car-cover.108789/#post-1425814

Trying to get my head round if this is correct, re post 6 From @vwalan and post 7 @BreweryDave

The directive in question is no longer in force and superseded by
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:263:0011:0031:EN:PDF

I have tried to get 3 different insurance companies to confirm that even though I may only have say 90days full comp cover whilst across the channel that for the full duration of my trip after say the 90days up to the 365 days I would have the minimum insurance cover required to be legal in that country.

I don't expect anyone to read through the document for me but does anyone know the facts, is this correct. Article 2 is on page L263/17

I want to be abroad for longer than the insurance can cover me fully but still want to have the legal cover in case of an event.
There are I've found a couple of companies that do offer 365 continued cover ( not short trips then back again) but one wanted around the £1000 yes thats 4 0s for a 7 year old ford ka.
Obviously breakdown is another issue. Again with the same sort of short term cover with again a few doing full 365 but high cost.

Shawn

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
all insurance for vehicles took out in eu cover minimum for 365 in the eu and associate countries for 365days . many dont cover you fully comp for that long only minimum . safeguard used to . norwich union used to . saga still do .
i use camptons as a broker in godstone 01883 742460 they do a fifth wheel special that covers 365 fully comp tow vehicle and the trailer .
but i believe they also do m,home cover that might cover 365 as well.
worth a call.
many insurance companies will rip you off thats for certain .
mine was 450 quid or just under paid it this month .
they do car insurance as well cant say if they will give fully comp all year but again chat to them .
as for break down i will get it fixed where ever i am . cant be doing with all that recovery break down cover .

Last edited:
OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
all insurance for vehicles took out in eu cover minimum for 365 in the eu and associate countries for 365days . many dont cover you fully comp for that long only minimum . safeguard used to . norwich union used to . saga still do .
i use camptons as a broker in godstone 01883 742460 they do a fifth wheel special that covers 365 fully comp tow vehicle and the trailer .
but i believe they also do m,home cover that might cover 365 as well.
worth a call.
many insurance companies will rip you off thats for certain .
mine was 450 quid or just under paid it this month .
they do car insurance as well cant say if they will give fully comp all year but again chat to them .
as for break down i will get it fixed where ever i am . cant be doing with all that recovery break down cover .

Sorry for the slow reply @vwalan
Thanks for that. I had tried camptons last year and they wouldn't quote me but couldn't give reason why! Fortunately or unfortunatly depending which way you look at it I'm not old enough to get insurance from Saga:) only two more years to go though.

I don't disbelieve you at all regarding the minimum cover for the insurance but would be nice to have an actual document that confirms this.

Thanks again for replying

Shawn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2012
Rushden, Northants
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
11 years
Try the camping and caravanning club. Ours is covered fully comp for 365 days in the EU or at home and at a very reasonable price.

Deleted User
On your insurance certificate it should have a notice, usually on the reverse, in several languages to the effect that this document confirms legal cover in the EU and replaces the green card. Can't remember the exact wording but it has been on every certificate that I have had for a good number of years.

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Try the camping and caravanning club. Ours is covered fully comp for 365 days in the EU or at home and at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for that @jimbow quotes from them in the past have allways been mega high, but may just see what they have to say. Have you checked that your policy actually covers 365 days away as some say that but you are allowed no more than say 60 or 90 days away at a time, which doesn't work for us.

Thanks again.

Shawn.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might sound daft .but have you considered swapping to a fifth wheeler.
camptons cover 365 days in eu. but not fulltimers and good prices .
i,m glad i changed 16 yrs ago.
have had other cars and m,homes at the same time but now its just the truck n trailer and m,bikes .
one tax , insurance and mot .
m,bikes on top of course. but the truck is my car now . not every body would want it but it suits me .

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On your insurance certificate it should have a notice, usually on the reverse, in several languages to the effect that this document confirms legal cover in the EU and replaces the green card. Can't remember the exact wording but it has been on every certificate that I have had for a good number of years.

Thanks @matamoros yes my certificate does say covers minimum required in Europe. Keeps a little confusing when your insurance company then says your only insured in another company for x amount of days. Guess they just want you to upgrade to full cover options with them.

Thanks again

Shawn

OP
OP
shawn&emma
Nov 24, 2008
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
might sound daft .but have you considered swapping to a fifth wheeler.
camptons cover 365 days in eu. but not fulltimers and good prices .
i,m glad i changed 16 yrs ago.
have had other cars and m,homes at the same time but now its just the truck n trailer and m,bikes .
one tax , insurance and mot .
m,bikes on top of course. but the truck is my car now . not every body would want it but it suits me .

We did look at fifth wheelers when we looked and brought ours in 2009 but for us they didn't quite do it. Love the choice we made then, still very happy. Not to say that we won't change her one day but for now this is our choice. But agree it would have been much easier, could have just popped back with the truck for mot leaving the fifth wheel on site somewhere.

Thanks @vwalan

Shawn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back