Terrorist drill on Cross Channel Brittany ferry (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>>> three sea marshals landed on the ship by helicopter.

Hell of a storming of the ship !

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Not sure if this is a worry or reassuring :frowny:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Adbt

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
Not sure if this is a worry or reassuring :frowny:

The thought of a number of these lunatic terrorists on board a ferry armed to the teeth intent on only carnage with no regard to their own lives is truly terrifying.
One can only hope that there is a process of passenger profiling and contingency plans in place on board and on the mainland to deal with this possible threat.
I myself take my own personal protection measures.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've got a terrorist drill. It switches to reverse when I'm not looking.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I for one after seeing the pitiful security checks at Zeebrugge last year have no doubts in my mind that their is a very real danger that this will happen.
how long will it take to mobilize a counter terrorist troops to nutrelize any threat
in the time it takes how many are dead
How many rounds and explosive fragmentation have Ben detonated.
In my own personal opinion Carnegie is my thoughts on this
Would a un armed crew have any Chance
A big No

nekarsulm

Free Member
Apr 20, 2016
Cavan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Autoroller -5.Fiat Ducato
Exp
ten years
I'd say passenger profiling extends only as far as verifying your debit card is sufficently in funds ..........

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Of much more concern IMO is the Tunnel. Having never used it I've often wondered about security. Are there any checks on the contents of anything? Given the possible outcome of an attack I would have thought security should be similar to that at an airport.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Of much more concern IMO is the Tunnel. Having never used it I've often wondered about security. Are there any checks on the contents of anything? Given the possible outcome of an attack I would have thought security should be similar to that at an airport.
There is really not much more security at the tunnel than at the ports, certainly not anything approaching airport security.
We are frequent travellers through the tunnel and our large M/H has never been checked or searched. On a couple of occasions, on our return home, the French police have run a wand of some sort around the drivers window and steering wheel, presumably to try and detect residue from explosives.
The only other check is to ensure the gas bottles are turned off and that is sometimes only "are your gas bottles off", "yes', OK, off you go.

Surely any sort of profiling is not allowed as it would be classed as racial discrimination. If they tried to check anyone with dusky features rather than us pale skinned types the 'do gooder' community would be up in arms.

Richard.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Never been a terrorist problem in Skegness.(y) Well, the odd upset when those from Yorkshire visit..........However, this is a very real point. (y)
Want to ensure your traveling safety?
The increased threat of terrorism worry you?
Do you feel for the well-being of your family?

Then stay in the UK. :) Its only going to get far worse in Mainland Europe.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We were searched coming back through Dunkirk last month, officer came on board and looked in bathroom, wardrobe and under benches.
What I don't understand is why there isn't a no go zone miles away from port and that bloody camp near Calais cleared.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
The only worries i have with the Ferries,is that we may be blown off course,and sail off the edge of the known world,ask ANY of the residents of the Flat Earth society in Lincolnshire.....Oh...Skeggy is in Lincolnshire. Is there still a "Nick" at the bottom of Lindum Hill ?. Do you know they do a reasonable overnight stay......... a sort of Indoor Wild camping with Security...Yes !. "You CANNOT put me in there....ooooops,mind my fingers..LOL" Experientia docet
Tea Bag

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't think the French have any issue with openly profiling.

When we were in the queue for the Mont Blanc tunnel the other day the Douane and the Gendarmerie were walking the queue having a look at all the vehicles. The one we saw them pull out for a much more thorough investigation was occupied by two youngish gentlemen of the darker skin and long beard persuasion and there car had long packages (golf bags) on the roof. As it happens the gentlemen were allowed on their way but it was pretty obvious why they were pulled and they didn't complain.

It's a great shame that the police and security services here can't do the same thing without the liberal leftie brigade screaming racism.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have never used the tunnel, nor a ferry for a few years - do they not use A.P.I. like the airlines ?

Yes

Nothing. I could have blown it up twice last week.

Boats no better. There might by a token check for illegals and smuggling, but a bomb, nothing.

Whenever we've come back through the tunnel the French security have always swabbed that thing over the steering wheel. That supposedly detects explosives.

Never had anything similar on the UK side though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We were searched coming back through Dunkirk last month, officer came on board and looked in bathroom, wardrobe and under benches.

Likewise.. also at Dunkirk.. he looked into every nook and cranny .. even asked for the drop down bed to be lowered..

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Security at Vienna airport is very lax on leaving Austria. They check your passport but your handluggage isnt checked until you board so you have hundreds of people at the airport for a couple of hours carrying goodness knows what. This was only last month, quite worrying.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Security at Vienna airport is very lax on leaving Austria.

Exactly as it should be - worry about those coming in, they could harm you, those going out are A.N. Other's problem. There is bound to be a flaw in this approach though.:think:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Likewise.. also at Dunkirk.. he looked into every nook and cranny .. even asked for the drop down bed to be lowered..
We had the same. . Went through the van,every cupboard under each bench etc... Didn't want to look in the garage for some reason

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There is really not much more security at the tunnel than at the ports, certainly not anything approaching airport security.
We are frequent travellers through the tunnel and our large M/H has never been checked or searched. On a couple of occasions, on our return home, the French police have run a wand of some sort around the drivers window and steering wheel, presumably to try and detect residue from explosives.
The only other check is to ensure the gas bottles are turned off and that is sometimes only "are your gas bottles off", "yes', OK, off you go.

Surely any sort of profiling is not allowed as it would be classed as racial discrimination. If they tried to check anyone with dusky features rather than us pale skinned types the 'do gooder' community would be up in arms.

Richard.
Yes but to be fair when we reach a security RED alert they do add the question have you any bombs or terrorists on board?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Yet your Truma was packed with explosives, all your floor cavity similar, the gas tanks full, most of the diesel tank full, water tank full, waste full, even cassette full.

These are not anti terrorist checks. Well not of any use.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
DONT LEAVE WASTE TANKs FULL
Dirty Bombs are against the Geneva Convention

nekarsulm

Free Member
Apr 20, 2016
Cavan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Autoroller -5.Fiat Ducato
Exp
ten years
Those were most likely searches for people trafficking, child abduction, prostitution trafficking, more so than for terrorism.
If I wanted to smuggle in a few rifles, I'd hardly leave them propped up in the toilet, or lying under a duvet.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Yes the were looking for illegals.

Yet when they find them adrift in the Med, Dover Channel, North Sea etc what do they do with them? Give them a nice warm blanket and take them into the very countries they have no right to enter.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
when I am asked at the airport ' has anyone put anything in your bags that you don't know about'... my reply 'how would I know'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back