Collinite (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Just spent a day waxing the motorhome with Collinite - great finish although I have noticed a shading on the 'grey/beige detail strips' down the side of the van. Tried buffing up with microfibre cloth - still there.
Anyone any ideas as to how to get rid or why they appeared?

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Are they Vinyl self adhesive decals? @Charlie has said that they do not like wax, but I have not had any problem on my black decals. Just finished a full polish of my Flair with 476, looks like glass!

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Not sure - decals where on the Hymer when purchased, guess they are just stuck on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Are they Vinyl self adhesive decals? @Charlie has said that they do not like wax, but I have not had any problem on my black decals. Just finished a full polish of my Flair with 476, looks like glass!

Slight confusion I think.. There is no reason why wax should not be applied over decals... NEVER polish decals but wax won't do any harm ..

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Just spent a day waxing the motorhome with Collinite - great finish although I have noticed a shading on the 'grey/beige detail strips' down the side of the van. Tried buffing up with microfibre cloth - still there.

Pictures please ? Not entirely sure what you have or mean....

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 88

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

I really cannot see why Collinite would have done that to the decal.. I think some Meguires Hyper Dressing would hide it... Thanks for the pictures they do show what you have. If the vehicle was in front of me I think a resolution would be likely but that is unlikely.. ..

Humour me... Get a tiny wee spot of vegetable oil on the tip of your finger and gently apply it. Please wipe it straight back off and the results will help me suggest a resolution..

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Okey dokey will give it a try and let you know

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Dash it - every oil but vegetable. Will get some tomorrow and let you know

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Morning just applied a finger tip of oil - wiped it off - nothing happened

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Morning just applied a finger tip of oil - wiped it off - nothing happened

So it didn't alter the appearance or hide the mark ? Its very very unlikely then and by that I mean certain though of course I dont have the job in front of me that your mark is Not on the surface which means its a discoloration in the material the decal is made of.... Sorry but none of the disguising tools we have is going to hide it so in turn that means a new decal or live with it.

Many things can cause discolouration but my bet is its sunlight in this case .

Last edited:
OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Thanks for your advice Charlie - I to am sorry it did not work.
Heading back to the dealer with the van to have 2nd battery fitted so will show them
Thanks again

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Thanks for your advice Charlie - I to am sorry it did not work.
Heading back to the dealer with the van to have 2nd battery fitted so will show them
Thanks again

Point out to them that by adding an oily substance to the surface of the decal no difference was made. Trust me if it was a surface defect the make up would change even if only for a period of time. Even if you wipe the oil from the surface the defect if in the surface would hold the oily substance no matter what. So you indicating no change says without doubt..... Well 98% without doubt its the decal is at fault..

The materials usually vinyl have life spans. IE 1 year 3 year 5 year or even 7 year spans. 7 year vinyl will resist fade and bleach far far longer than lesser span ones. Not necessarily 7 years but you get the idea.

When having vans decaled up for the business we always chose to have the 7 year stuff. Some lesser span stuff does not last long at all ! Some of it is absolute rubbish !!

I do know a company that can reproduce just about any decal or make individual ones and in any colours and types possible. If you get stuck I will pass on the number.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Try giving it a wipe over with a damp cloth, some of the waxes i have used on my black pearlescent paintwork leave a mark and have been advised to go over it with a damp cloth............it does. Take it off.

No harm will be done if it doesn't work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back