LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Peeps from another thread talking about the large amount of gas I’ve used on certain trips with mainly the fridge freezer running and also the obligatory washing and very little cooking, I’ve just noticed a small crack at the top in the lining of my fridge freezer.
Now I know roughly what I’m thinking of doing i.e. drill small holes at both ends of the crack to stop it spreading, rough the area of the crack up before putting sealant on it.

The point of this thread is what type of sealant I should use, although it’s in a fridge the crack is at the top so will not come into contact with food, but does that still mean I will need an antifungal sealant?

Do I get one which dries rock solid or one which remains flexible and which type do you good people recommend? Or is there another simpler way, someone suggested plastic welding and then putting sealant over it, but I’m not sure I want to be putting a hot soldering iron or some other heat related equipment on my fridge freezer lining, another person said use some form of bonding tape but I’m not sure how successful that would be.

Any offers of help will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Best Wishes Tony

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I believe araldite is inert.
I used to work many years ago for a company that made all sorts of large mouldings out of araldite and one of the products was pump impellers that were used in the food industry. We made the pump housings too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
If you have s modeling shop near you there is a liquid poly cement made by humbrol a couple of quid may do the job ,I successfully repaired a Hymer plastic shower screens large running crack just paint it on and flex it then leave alone worked a treat
IMG_20160802_133937.jpg

Don't you just love predicative text on a bleddy smart phone !!

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Would that crack explain the apparently high gas consumption?
Hi Lantoflad
Possibly but I do have a fairly large fridge freezer it’s 180 ltrs, running on my own I don’t need a fridge that large and I don’t think the freezer part will ever get used by me. The crack is only small but I’m sure it’s not helping. The freezer part itself is only 11ltrs and it was run empty on previous journeys.

Someone said to me you should not run the freezer empty as it runs most efficient when full.

I’ve been told if I don’t have any food to put in the freezer when I go on my travels then what I should do is get some of those ice packs, freeze them in your house freezer before you go away and then fill the freezer part up with them, this will then allow the freezer to run more efficient, but I’m not sure.

Best Wishes Tony

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Agree with all of that Tony.
I'd imagine a crack in the lining of your fridge would mean it wasn't running at peak efficiency but I'm surprised that it could explain your apparent high gas usage.

I guess you'll fix the crack, fill up the gas & monitor.
I'm lucky inasmuch as I'm usually surprised how little gas I can get into my refillables!

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Agree with all of that Tony.
I'd imagine a crack in the lining of your fridge would mean it wasn't running at peak efficiency but I'm surprised that it could explain your apparent high gas usage.

I guess you'll fix the crack, fill up the gas & monitor.
I'm lucky inasmuch as I'm usually surprised how little gas I can get into my refillables!
Thanks for that Langtoflad
I’m hoping to have an under slung tank fitted soon so I’ll wait until that happens before I try to monitor it again, if nothing else it will reduce the cost of filling up with gas. I just wish I had a smaller fridge freezer as I don’t really need one that large and I must be using gas I don’t need to.
Below is what I found out when weighing the 6kg light tanks after the trip, this is copied mostly from the other thread I told you about in the first post.

“I used my bathroom scales and my analogue fishing scales to check the weights. The full one reads on bathroom scales 10.6kgs on the fishing scales 24lbs.
The partly used tank on the BR scales weighs 6.8kgs and on the fishing scales 15lbs.”

Obviously every person will use different amounts depending on various specs of their motor home and type of usage so it’s difficult to tell if I’m using way over the top, but I feel I am.

The system was checked in late March when I purchased the vehicle so I do believe the system is OK but having said that things do go wrong.

Next time I go out apart from fixing that crack I’m going to reduce the cold setting from three to two and try the ice pack solution and see if that makes any difference.

Best Wishes Tony

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Keep large quantities of beer in your fridge this will reduce your gas consumption or your worries and will make you very popular.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
If you don't use the freezer,try filling it with polystyrene or similar.
That should make the fridge use less gas.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Agree you need to fill your freezer up, even a loaf or two will do.
You are lucky to have a large fridge and freezer. We could be doing with one but theres no room.

What do you think caused the crack?

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
What do you think caused the crack?
Hi irnbru not sure what cause the crack, it's at the very top of the right corner. I didn't notice it before as this is the first time I'd given the fridge freezer a deep clean from top to bottom as it were, when I first bought it in late March it looked spotless inside so just a general wipe out then. You might think I'm lucky having such a large fridge freezer, but not so lucky when paying for the gas it's using.
Best wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
theres no reason you couldnt have a smaller fridge fitted
Hi Mitzimad yes more expense lol.
Yes you are totally correct but after having the bank balance degraded in late March by purchasing this Motorhome and kiting this monster out, it's looking pretty sick at the moment and very little coming in to replenish it, and no chance of the income increasing so it looks like I will have to live with it for the foreseeable future, but thanks for the idea.
Best Wishes Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back