Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Stansted
Funster No
MH
still looking
Exp
Hi all,

Been using this forum to educate myself as best i can over the last year or so. So thank you to all those who have posted those useful articles.

I fully intend to be a very demanding newbie in the preceding weeks while i cement my choice of MH, consider how it should be kitted out, where we can go in it and recommended pitches. So i apologise in advance :)

My wife and i are in our early 50's and considering our options prior to that period before semi retirement (is there a name for it) where you start to look at the more practical aspects of those thoughts that have been lurking at the back of your head for some years. In our case whenever the topic of "have you thought about what you would do when you stop working" comes up around the dinner table we have both always answered "go travelling again".

We were lucky (or foolhardy) enough to travel thru France and Spain into North Africa and then thru the Sahara across to East Africa and down to South Africa in a converted 110 Land Rover in 1987 for just over a year.

Ever since we have promised ourselves we would carry on, albeit in a more sedate manner, when kids, work and funds would allow.

We have tried canal living on various holidays in UK and France. We loved it and will definitely have more holidays on the water, but long term the restriction of being limited to UK canals only seemed restrictive. We had an excellent holiday in USA with our 3 kids did nearly 3k miles, really enjoyed the freedom of being on the road again. It obviously helped that we were in USA with the country geared up for RV living and views like the Grand Canyon helped a bit too.

We have not tried any UK or European motorhome holidays though. I understand many of you seasoned travellers will be wondering why we have not followed their very sensible advice to hire for a holiday and try before you buy. The reason is twofold - i have a small disability whereby i need to sleep in a bed that has nothing at the foot end, my leg needs to overhang the end of the bed. I know this is strange but there it is. We have had to drag mattresses off beds in villas and sleep on the floor for the whole holiday - little embarrassing.

Probably not something you guys have to concern yourselves with when looking at motorhomes but unless you can tell me otherwise those with suitable beds are like hens teeth?

Looking at the offerings in UK and Europe to hire i see nothing that suits (even the "French bed?" layout, fixed double with corner cut off is not what i want). There are a few much larger "walk around" bed options but the cost is off the scale and i doubt would be a good barometer to compare with what we may buy.

So we are going to buy a UK motorhome and rest out hopes on our experiences 30 years ago combined with my powers of "getting a good deal" - if it don't work out i will sell it on.

As i say i have been covertly researching our options for many months, with the added obstacle of the bed. I have taken on board such advice as "buy the smallest that suits your needs" "look at as many as you can before buying" "consider where you will be travelling" - all good sound advice and all taken on board.

Please feel free to add your two-pennyworth but here is what we have decided on:

Autosleeper - I have read so much about the monocoque cab and how it is much better against leaks and damp. The build quality, the reliable donor vans they are based on (in the main) and that many people say these are built better than many modern MH.

As for the model - due to the bed requirements i believe either the Executive or the Excelsior are the only two with the twin couch layout and the rear door. We have been to see maybe 4 or 5 Executives of various ages (normally about 1996) and conditions and tested the bed layout. Seems like a great idea to me once in the double format it is huge and seemingly very comfy.

I have yet to see an Excelsior in the flesh. As i understand it they are different in length (5.8 vs 6.8) giving a bit more cupboard space and maybe slightly longer couch? They are only on the Ford chassis. I like the idea of more space inside but the same layout of the Executive but i gather the length will mean more expense crossing the channel and possibly restrict us camping wise in some European countries? So i would like to see one if only to discount it but very rare in our neck of the woods.

Cost - i do like a deal! I have seen the Executives for as little as £8k and the same year at nearly £20k. Obviously i am wondering what the difference can be at nearly £10k? I am in no rush and would like to buy private rather than go thru a dealer. I like the idea of buying from an enthusiast who has cared for their pride and joy and lavished not only care and attention but a whole bunch of goodies. I have read much advise on buying from a dealer to get the service and support etc. But i am yet to be convinced of this argument. I have been to many dealerships looking at many vans (many types before i settled on the AS) and have been unimpressed with their attitude and more importantly knowledge. Last week my wife and i went to a dealership that has both new and used MH for sale and a good selection. I called beforehand to make sure they were open, that we did not need to make a timed appointment, and that they were happy for us to have a good poke around. I said "i am calling about the Autosleeper Executive yo have for sale..." he says "let me go and have a look... what does it look like?!..." i say "i have the picture in front of me on your website, not quite sure what you mean, do you have more than one" "no" he says "i do not know what it looks like"!! Not really instilling a great deal of confidence.

It was only a week or so back that we have made the decision to actually buy one, so my searching is now in earnest. I am hoping that you guys will have a few pointers especially in respect of what to look for when buying. But hopefully not to put me off the AS.

Also if anyone has a nice one for sale Executive or Excelsior, low mileage, FSH, in excellent condition, with all the goodies (awning, dual gas, solar panel, extra leisure battery, 2 berth) for sub £10k - i'll take it :)

Thank you for taking the time to read my stream of consciousness and please feel free to advise away.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Good luck with your search and
welcome animated smiley.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.

Have you considered attending any of the motorhome shows? The dealers will have lots of second-hand 'vans on display. There's a show at Lincoln in September. It could be an interesting day out for you.

OP
OP
G

gaznshaz

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Stansted
Funster No
MH
still looking
Exp
Hi, thanks for the heads up. I will look at that one 23 / 25th Sept. We did go to one recently (god my memory is rubbish) but cannot remember where - it was big and had loads for sale but all out of our price range. I think we would be looking for one that a dealer was too embarrassed to take to a show. I remember the security guard said i should look in the car park as many private sales were going on there - maybe the same here.

Thanks

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Hi, thanks for the heads up. I will look at that one 23 / 25th Sept. We did go to one recently (god my memory is rubbish) but cannot remember where - it was big and had loads for sale but all out of our price range. I think we would be looking for one that a dealer was too embarrassed to take to a show. I remember the security guard said i should look in the car park as many private sales were going on there - maybe the same here.

Thanks
It costs nothing to look and you can find the bed layout that is ideal for you, then start looking elsewhere for the type you want in your price range:hiya:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
If buying privately make sure you take a decent damp meter with you and use your eyes and nose.
Happy hunting :)
002.gif

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
image.gif
We had an Autosleeper for 8 years and the build quality second to none. Would have had another if they had the layout and look that I wanted.
Good luck with your search.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
When we bought recently there were only 2 criteria that mattered, price and layout - so that's really only 1 criterion, price.

Good luck anyway but you may have to kiss a lot of princes before you find your frog.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You also may have to subscribe as you only have 2 free posts left. Best value for £15 you will spend for the year(y)

OP
OP
G

gaznshaz

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Stansted
Funster No
MH
still looking
Exp
Well worth it - the info I have found so far is easily worth £15 a year. Just paid - thanks

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello welcome to Fun, any questions just keep them coming :pink:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! We have a Murvi Morocco which has a bed where one side has nothing at the foot end, both when configured as a double or two singles. Unfortunately, being a relatively new and reasonably scarce vehicle I suspect second hand ones are rare and unlikely to be available under £30k I fear. But it would meet your requirements in the foot department. :)

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
Wouldn't be possible to go for the twin bed layout and chop off the bottom end of one of the foam mattress? Or is that not enough of an overhang?

OP
OP
G

gaznshaz

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Stansted
Funster No
MH
still looking
Exp
Hi SwissBob, i am 6' and need to sleep with my leg stretched out. it's all a bit weird :) thanks for the practical thinking though.

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello and...................:welcome4:

Is the Amethyst a similar van to the Executive, as I had a good look at one of these lovely vans at the Stafford MH Show

Mick

OP
OP
G

gaznshaz

Free Member
Aug 2, 2016
Stansted
Funster No
MH
still looking
Exp
Hi Mick, Amethyst has a different layout for the bed with one couch and on the opposite side twin front and rear facing seats with a table between them. However thanks to your question i just went on ebay to check what was saying and can see an Excelsior for sale at the upper end of my price. £ to 4 hours away so just deciding...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back