Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi. Ive prommised Mrs D a Digital Camera for our next trip (Friday) and I havent got one yet so need to get a move on. Shes never had one and we rely on my Nokia N95 for our snaps. She doesnt want anything too fancy but with a good optical zoom. Nothing too complicated either. She doesnt want an expensive one either. Between £80-£150. I havent got a clue so any recommendations??

Thanks
Barry</SPAN>

S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi. Ive prommised Mrs D a Digital Camera for our next trip (Friday) and I havent got one yet so need to get a move on. Shes never had one and we rely on my Nokia N95 for our snaps. She doesnt want anything too fancy but with a good optical zoom. Nothing too complicated either. She doesnt want an expensive one either. Between £80-£150. I havent got a clue so any recommendations??

Thanks
Barry</SPAN>

Check this out Link Removed

barbt

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
KENT
Funster No
Exp
two
I've got a Fuji Finepix S5700 - comes up at about £100 - its a brilliant camera - easy to use and a fantastic long zoom - I would recommend it to anybody. I use it in Scotland for long shots of scenery and have also taken some great firework shots. It's a super all round camera. I have seen it in Tesco, although we got ours in the BT shop, online - it was a better price. I wouldn't advise going to Jessops - everything is more expensive there.
You should also look on Amazon - prices there are pretty good.
You will need a decent size memory card - try Digital Depot (online) theres are a pretty good price, they also have cameras.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

huge choice in compact cameras and everyone has a favorite .. my wife Jan uses a

PANASONIC DMC-FS15EB-K

Link Removed

this little camera gives outstanding results, it has a Leica lens with a 5x optical zoom and 12 mega pixel. It is simple to use with an intuitive menu.

When she bought it I was skeptical that it could match the quality of my Nikon SLR .. now I find myself reaching for it rather than my Nikon .. and it goes everywhere so we never miss that 'one off' picture.

I score it 8/10

My only dislike is that it has no optical viewfinder ..

Jim

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
I use a Fuji Finepix Z100 - 8 meg 5 X Optical zoom - very neat and easy to use and best of all - fits in my pocket!!! :thumb:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I agree with Jim excelant choice of camera i have the DMC-FX100 amazing little camera
ticks all the boxes for me, I did buy a couple of spare batteries for it just in case ;but amazed how long they lasted before needing a recharge.

regards

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Looks great but a little bit expensive. I think Mrs D thinks it will be 20 quid or something! I reckon Im going for the Lumix FS15. Here is the link on Amazon

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-FS15-Digital-Camera/dp/B001T0GZPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255260430&sr=8-1#moreAboutThisProduct]Panasonic Lumix FS15 Digital Camera - Black 2.7 inch: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

They are recommending a 8GB card and reader for an extra 12 quid which seems ok. The card seems to be a class 2 card which I think is not the best but presumably ok for this camera. Plus with express delivery it will be here by Tuesday which is good as we are off on Friday.

What do you reckon. Click the add to basket?

Cheers
Barry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What do you reckon. Click the add to basket?

Cheers
Barry

I reckon it's a good choice.. :thumb:

worth a few brownie points :roflmto:

sorry about the model mix up, there are so many to choose from :Blush:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Nice one thanks. Just told Mrs D that its going to cost £150 and she thinks thats way too much. I am in the very enviable position of having an accountant for a wife who doesnt like spending her money or even me spending mine on her! Christmas is a nightmare!

Shouldnt complain though.

There do seem to be a load of cheaper cameras around the £50-£100 mark but they dont come recommended and dont have chargers or a good zoom so it seems like a better option to go for the Panasonic at £140.

Regards
Barry

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Depends entirely what you want the camera to do.

Every day 'happy snappy' photos of family and general scenery, any pocket digital will do the job and you don't need to spend much either. Two major points i'd bear in mind is 1) compactness.....will it fit easily in a pocket? and 2) weight......sling just a small camera around your neck for a day and you will feel it. The lighter the better.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just bought the Panasonic Lumix FS15 off Amazon. £139 plus a tenner for an 8GB card and £2 for a USB reader. Got a free camera case as well.
Thanks very much everyone. I dont think I have done too bad to have purchased a digital camera in one day having known nothing about them this morning. All thanks to you guys!
Will be in Greece on Friday, hopefully Mrs D will be able to take some pics and maybe post them on here. Dont hold your breath.:ROFLMAO:
Cheers
Barry

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Barry

You will not be disappointed with the Panasonic Lumix range, they are excellent cameras.:thumb: Have been using a Lumix TZ3 for over a year now and have been delighted with it.::bigsmile: I have just decided to treat myself :winky:and have upgraded to a Lumix FZ38,:Cool: it pays to shop around, the price is £319.99 on the high street I purchased it for £238.99 on the web.::bigsmile::thumb:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
How much?? :whatthe:

Should have gone here first! OK so the card is only 2gb but thats plenty.

Link Removed

Hmm. Still has 4 days to go and its Flea Bay pluss a tenner postage. Doesnt say if its new, referbished or used. Thanks for the link but I think looking at the prices for new cameras I did ok,

cheers
BArry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hmm. Still has 4 days to go and its Flea Bay pluss a tenner postage. Doesnt say if its new, referbished or used. Thanks for the link but I think looking at the prices for new cameras I did ok,

cheers
BArry

I agree Barry

the ebay item is
- REFURBISHED TO NEW BY PANASONIC.

better new with a full warranty you know WILL be honoured

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I agree Barry
....better new with a full warranty you know WILL be honoured
Whats the Amazon warranty.....12 month?

Depends whether you have such little faith in a camera you feel it worth shelling out another £40 for nine months of warranty.

As for 'refurbished'. My six year old desktop pc was bought as 'refurbished' (only just replaced one hard drive). Last year bought an mp4 player which looked better than new and came sealed in original box with everything.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
whats the nikom d50 you have Jim (saw it in another post) is that a singing and dancing camera? im interested in something along those lines for haganaps xmas present.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
whats the nikom d50 you have Jim (saw it in another post) is that a singing and dancing camera? im interested in something along those lines for haganaps xmas present.

Hi

It's a Nikon SLR D50. an entry level camera for the keen amateur wanting to move into the SLR market, but I find it heavy for every day use, you don't want to lug it all day or take it hiking .. Jan's Panasonic performs almost as well and is easier to use, a lot lighter and fits in a shirt pocket, but have a look at Jessops site for latest models.

Link Removed

jim

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Have to agree with most on the Panasonic cameras, and most people seem to rave about the zoom but the thing I like the most about my little DMC-FX01 is the wide angle lens, so much more useful than the zoom feature:thumb:

Can't go wrong with most of the Panasonic range though.

Tim

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Seems the compact digi is an absolute minefield with numerous brands competing for a slice of the market. Probably the best way to look for one is to ignore your favoured brand name, set a max limit on your budget, then search for the best available.

Here are some useful sites though there are many more on Google.

What Digital Camera, digital camera reviews and photography tips

Link Removed

PhotographyBLOG - The Best Digital Cameras

Your right there are just too many to choose from and to research which is why I put the post on here. Seems the common choice for our budget was the Lumix so thats what we went for. Thanks for these links they look quite interesting, especially the tips.

Barry

Crafty-Camper

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
North West ( Lancashire)
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
1st Year
Hope she is very happy with her camera & enjoying taking pics.
I have a Fuji Finepix S5600 which have had for ages ( there are newer ones now), Also the Lumix Dmc-L27, which I bought as a handbag camera, I truth I used my mobile one the most for every day pics, But I do love the larger Fuji one for proper pics.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back