• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

SOLD A Frame and RV2 Braking System For Sale (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I brought this back end of last year from another member on here who had only used it a handful of times.

Previous seller's comment below
A frame for sale, latest type with electronic control box "RV2" bought from Towtal , cost £1500 You can input size of towed vehicle, variable braking effort, and has breakaway connection. Was fitted to Fiat 500 and the re-engineered front cross member is available

These R2V systems are very expensive, my original intention was to do away my the overrun system on the car and use this but i never got round to fitting it. Now it is surplus to requirements as i have sold the car. This system can be moved from one vehicle to another with little modification, much better than the over run system as it applies the brakes as soon as you do and doesnt apply it in reverse like the over run systems.

Price £300 all in.

Any questions let me know.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A frames Explained

This system can best be described as coming in 3 parts
1. The electronic braking system --- Other types will come either un braked or cable braked (requiring extra fittings to the car brake pedal and A frame mount)
2. The actual A frame itself
3. The specific often bespoke car mounting system, that is different for all makes and models

Items 1 and 2 can be used and swapped about in minuets. on any vehicle that already has a suitable item 3 fitted.

Item 3 however is very vehicle specific and is often left on the vehicle when its sold because its quite a job to remove it on some cars, others may be easier
but still quite a lot of dismantling is required for a novice to retrieve it.

Reading the add, if Item 3 were included and it says it is, it would only fit a Fiat 500 of whatever year, as it appears that's what the kit was made or adapted for and came off.
Dependent on skill and confidence levels it may be possible to re engineer the Item 3 to fit another vehicle but whether you re engineer as it seems that one already has been, or buy a brand new Item 3 specifically to fit your car, there will be a fair amount of front end dismantling modifying and cutting of bumpers and re building this can be done to almost any car by the original A frame supplier or any engineering Workshop/Garage, we only make them for ourselves as it can be a very labour intensive project for a one off job, the original A frame supplier should work out cheaper as he should have the jigs to hand for every car he's made one for. cost varies according to requirements but best Guestamate £400-£500

For Information Only
Not impossible But

It is rare that one manufacturers A frame will fit onto another manufacturers Car Mounting System, and visa versa, so its always best to buy matching kit or you will need bespoke parts made, but it only requires the Engineer/Welder to have all the other parts to hand, so he can make any missing bits fit the old, and the whole kit fit the car
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi
What else would I need to fit this to a smart car? Is it easy to fit?
Sorry for some reason i didnt get notified about this reply.

in regards to your question you will need an A-Frame fitted to the smart car, once fitted the RVi2 brake can then be fitted as it is relatively straight forward. The unit plugs into cigrarette socket and there is a monitor that goes in the cab of the motorhome to let you know what is going on. The best thing about these is that they can be moved from one car to another as opposed to the overrun system which is fixed per vehicle.

Sooty

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker FB
Exp
June 2014
Hi Zac, I read your advert to mean the a-frame, to connect car to MH towball, and the braking control box that sits in the car. I assume the crossmember is included in the price?
Regards

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi Zac, I read your advert to mean the a-frame, to connect car to MH towball, and the braking control box that sits in the car. I assume the crossmember is included in the price?
Regards

Yes the cross member is there as well.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
But ONLY fits a Fiat 500 and will probably be year specific if the cars original cross member has been factory updated/altered.
You are correct yes. the cross member is car specific sorry for any confusion.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There is a breakaway switch that comes with the RVibrake2 unit that needs mounting below the front bumper of the tow car and a connecting wire taken through the car bulkhead to plug into the RVi unit .
Also supplied a flexible cable to connect the switch to the towing vehicle.

Sooty

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker FB
Exp
June 2014
Do you know what year of Fiat 500 the crossmember was for?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Do you know what year of Fiat 500 the crossmember was for?
I asked the same question when i brought it and this is the reply

"Our car was 13 reg, but I think any of the current (07-on) would be suitable, NOT The 500l or 500x."

Sooty

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker FB
Exp
June 2014
I'm looking to get a year 10/11 model so looking promising. Any idea what the carriage cost might be? Or, depending where in Hampshire you are we might be able to sort something out.
Any chance of some photo's at some point?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I'm looking to get a year 10/11 model so looking promising. Any idea what the carriage cost might be? Or, depending where in Hampshire you are we might be able to sort something out.
Any chance of some photo's at some point?
Courier wouldn't be possible as the cross member is quite heavy along with aframe as well. We are in Basingstoke but regularly travel up and down the country. I will send over the photos i was sent later.

Sooty

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker FB
Exp
June 2014
We are Mid Devon and could meet partway if possible, at some point. No rush at moment as still looking for the right car.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Here are the pictures that were sent to me, hopefully they show ok but if not let me know.

upload_2016-8-2_22-23-9.jpeg upload_2016-8-2_22-23-17.jpeg upload_2016-8-2_22-23-25.jpeg upload_2016-8-2_22-23-44.jpeg

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Looks the same as mine and complete although I have a jockey wheel on the a frame to help when hitching up by driving up to the tow ball.

Sooty

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker FB
Exp
June 2014
Sorry for delay in my reply Zac, I have located a Fiat 500 with A-frame in Devon that I hope to view in the near future,if the owner ever replies to my enquiry. I will keep your kit in mind in case things don't work out. Regards.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Sorry for delay in my reply Zac, I have located a Fiat 500 with A-frame in Devon that I hope to view in the near future,if the owner ever replies to my enquiry. I will keep your kit in mind in case things don't work out. Regards.
No worries, i am in no rush.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Now sold pending payment at the retro festival.

Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back