Dover queues (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
After all the chaos a week ago - caused it would appear by a basic lack of planning on the part of the Port & Customs Authorities (who would have thought that on the first day of the school summer holidays it would get busy eh? :rolleyes:) - what's it look like now for those who have gone through?

Port of Dover Twitter feed reported no real problems on the roads yesterday but said allow 90 minutes to get through security, what's the "real world" experience?

We're off 2 weeks today - travelling down & staying just outside Dover on Sat night, to catch ferry first thing on Sunday. I'm thinking it should be fine by then, 3 weeks into the school holidays and Sunday rather than Saturday.

I *could* cancel and get the tunnel but really want to do the Ferry - more of an event for the kids, it's their first trip abroad, waving goodbye to the White Cliffs, first one to spot France and all that. It's feels more like you're really going abroad if you take the ferry! Tunnel is very convenient (& we've booked it for the way back when they're all tired and just want to get home) but pretty dull.

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I'd be interested to know too, we are also off in a couple of weeks.

We came back home from France as all the chaos was unfolding. I felt so sorry for those stuck there in those queues, we had missed it going out as our kids broke up on the 15 July. We managed to depart with no aggro at all.

We are coming home a day earlier this time as the price of the ferry on the last Saturday before school starts is £130 one way!!!

We have never done the tunnel, I like to stretch my legs look around the shop etc.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Apparently a DFDS computer outage was the main issue yesterday, we came back through Dunkirk and they were photocopying passports and hand writing boarding passes... Dover was rammed, with 5 mile queues at 11.30 PM last night.

I am seriously considering puling up the drawbridge, with flight delays , huge issues at the Ports , all because some one thinks their imaginary friend is better than someone elses is getting old real quick, in the 21st century this is beyond belief IMHO... unless people start to get their shit together soon, and sort this out , travelling abroad will just cease to happen , because the risks, inconvenience and all the crap overshadow whatever good things may happen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a random thought, that if we were stuck in a traffic queue for 14 hours, with a load of cars that hadn't eaten in ages, and we started frying bacon for breakfast, would there be a riot?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Sunday is a good day to travel as most HGV's can't cross as they are restricted in France. Come to think of it there were very few HGV's getting on the ferries yesterday.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I had a random thought, that if we were stuck in a traffic queue for 14 hours, with a load of cars that hadn't eaten in ages, and we started frying bacon for breakfast, would there be a riot?
You could make some money

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015

Or take the opportunity to make a few bob and start selling them at the habit door !

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We were in Dover yesterday early afternoon and there were no problems at all. It was all free-flowing and fairly quiet.

Well it went bad real quick then , all the junctions were police controlled and folk were wandering round in the roads , I needed fuel but didn't fancy queueing to get in and out of the place, so pushed on to Maidstone. I hope they sort it

Jazzledog

Free Member
May 1, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer B588PL
Exp

Further to Figaro's post,
Stick a sprig of parsley on it and serve with some kettle crisps......Artisan breakfast £8.50 a pop!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/more-traffic-misery-at-port-99942/

Couldn't have lasted too long as I only found small report in local paper

The thing I found strange, usually on the way down to Dover , on the M20 , even if nothing is happening, the signs will have stuff like 'Don't juggle and Drive' etc.. just for something to do , but they were ALL blank last night, even the 40mph ones . Now I could be being a little 'precious' but if they are queuing back to almost 5 miles on 2 major roads, and nowt is being said, I fing that a bit of a worry.

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
I've just booked our crossing.

Hopefully it won't be too busy at 3.20am! :):sleep::sleep:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Apparently a DFDS computer outage was the main issue yesterday, we came back through Dunkirk and they were photocopying passports and hand writing boarding passes... Dover was rammed, with 5 mile queues at 11.30 PM last night.
We arrived on the outskirts of Dover at midnight, with a booking on the DFDS 2am sailing. At 3.47am, we were last but one onto the 4am boat. The main problem did appear to be with the checking in system, rather than with border control. Compounded in our case by the ticket machine at our booth needing a new ticket roll just as we got to the head of the queue. The lass on the desk was obviously fairly new in the job & had a real struggle. I suspect everyone backed up behind us thought we had lost our documents or done something stupid to cause the delay.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The thing I found strange, usually on the way down to Dover , on the M20 , even if nothing is happening, the signs will have stuff like 'Don't juggle and Drive' etc.. just for something to do , but they were ALL blank last night, even the 40mph ones . Now I could be being a little 'precious' but if they are queuing back to almost 5 miles on 2 major roads, and nowt is being said, I fing that a bit of a worry.
We came M11/M25/A2 & they were warning of 1hr delays at Dover on both roads all the way from the M11. Shame it was a 2 hr delay when we got there - & that was just to get into the port. From the outskirts of Dover onto the boat was just short of 4 hours.

OP
OP
Feltwell
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Sunday is a good day to travel as most HGV's can't cross as they are restricted in France. Come to think of it there were very few HGV's getting on the ferries yesterday.

Good point - I'd forgotten that.

We're hoping to get the 7:35am Sunday P&O sailing. Fingers crossed that we avoid the queues. 3 weeks into the school holidays (for most) though, I expect many would have already been abroad or are waiting for the final 2 weeks.

But that's based on hopeful thinking rather than scientific analysis!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back