Electricity and the motor home (1 Viewer)

davethespark

Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Just looking befor buying
Exp
Did a three week grand tour of Spain
Hi all we have ordered solar panels(140w) and an extra leisure battery,(2x110Ah) I intend fitting a pure sine Inverter for 240v mains and have 12v sockets in the habitation my question is what is still powered up after starting the engine 240v,12v,or none? the reason I ask is I like slow cooking and wondered if i could run one whilst driving? If so what voltage ?
Cheers Dave C

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My understanding [which is limited admittedly] is with the engine running you'll have neither 12v [except to the fridge] nor 240v in the hab area.
Your solar should still top up your leisure batteries but not the vehicle battery - unless you've had the relevant box added.

To answer your slow cooker question, I believe some funsters do run one via a small inverter plugged into the dashboard 12v [which is usually only live with the ignition on]

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You will not have any 230V supplies from mains electricity. If you are referring to the supply from the inverter, it can provide 'mains' power whilst driving. Bear in mind though that if you need to recharge the batteries as well, using the inverter will slow this down (significantly if it is a large inverter running at high load).
Concerning the matter of 12V power in the habitation area when the engine is running, this depends on whether you buy a British or Continental motorhome. The Brits unfortunately comply with a weird regulation (industry, not law I understand) that requires the 12V system to be disabled whilst driving. I have never understood the logic of this. Continental manufacturers have no such qualms and all the 12V systems work all the time the master switch is on. I can use all the 12V sockets and lights in my Hymer whilst driving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If you wire in an inverter with a 13A socket on it you can use that one whilst traveling. Your batteries will get charge from either the engine or the solar panels depending on charge voltage. Just be careful of the wattage of the slow cooker is not greater than the inverter output.
I'm not sure if the other habitation sockets will be live, it depends on the installation and make of van.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You will not have any 230V supplies from mains electricity. If you are referring to the supply from the inverter, it can provide 'mains' power whilst driving. Bear in mind though that if you need to recharge the batteries as well, using the inverter will slow this down (significantly if it is a large inverter running at high load).
Concerning the matter of 12V power in the habitation area when the engine is running, this depends on whether you buy a British or Continental motorhome. The Brits unfortunately comply with a weird regulation (industry, not law I understand) that requires the 12V system to be disabled whilst driving. I have never understood the logic of this. Continental manufacturers have no such qualms and all the 12V systems work all the time the master switch is on. I can use all the 12V sockets and lights in my Hymer whilst driving.
In our British made van all the 12 volt systems work while driving. We use it to run a cool box and the diesel heater for hot water.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In our British made van all the 12 volt systems work while driving. We use it to run a cool box and the diesel heater for hot water.
Glad to hear it and apologies for my somewhat sloppy all-embracing comment in the earlier post.
I should have said 'Most British manufacturers comply with a weird standard .......'

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Sorry @pappajohn probably being a bit dim today but what is the N/C relay, please?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
but what is the N/C relay, please?
'Normally closed'

Contact are closed while no power is applied to the relay, so you have 12V electrics operating. When the van is started, the relay is energised, opening the contacts & shutting off the 12V supply to the habitation area.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
'Normally closed'

Contact are closed while no power is applied to the relay, so you have 12V electrics operating. When the van is started, the relay is energised, opening the contacts & shutting off the 12V supply to the habitation area.

Many thanks for the explanation! Today I have just succeeded in cutting the wire so that our hab electrics will stay on with the engine running but had no idea that this was achieved using an NC relay or that I had cut the wire that operated the relay!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back