Sewage dumping problem (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Winnie has a built in sewage tank which works wonderfully well providing the dump station is in the ground. It's gravity fed, not pumped. You just attach a bayonet hose, open the grate on the sewer, put the other end of the hose down the hole, pull the lever and the tank empties. All wonderful. Except on sites when the chemical waste dumping station is built above ground level. Then it doesn't work. So what do you do? Assuming your toilets are not cassettes.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Probably about 90% of the sewage disposal I encountered in Europe was above ground level. One of the few that was not (in a marina) used a kind of scoop fitted to a vaccum pump !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
a macerator and pump or "bucket 'n' chuckit"

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I think Caktanks do an adaptor to take a cassette.

I assume you can then discharge a limited amount of your tank into the cassette and then discharge at the above ground facility.

I don't know how well this system works but I can see it all ending in tears :notworthy:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Winnie has a built in sewage tank which works wonderfully well providing the dump station is in the ground. It's gravity fed, not pumped. You just attach a bayonet hose, open the grate on the sewer, put the other end of the hose down the hole, pull the lever and the tank empties. All wonderful. Except on sites when the chemical waste dumping station is built above ground level. Then it doesn't work. So what do you do? Assuming your toilets are not cassettes.
Easy.(y) go into the loo, assume a kneeling position, ensure that the pipe is in place, and that the valve is open, then blow steadily into the pan. (y) Constant blowing will ensure a steady flow from the outside.:)
CAUTION. Under no circumstances be tempted to suck.:cautious::(

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
As suggested a macerator, they will pump a long distance; make up a short pipe to the pump and then 1 inch pipe to connect to the difficult dump options. I don't have any pictures but there has been someone on here with a Concorde who did a similar thing I will see if I can find it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
With our RVs I used a fiamma tote tank with 3" bayonet fitting so where no ground level dump wheel it to the elsan point.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There's usually a manhole cover somewhere near, just put your pipe down there.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Ok. So having had many experiences of this (Espania) There are several "methods" I had a Macerator pump which was capable of achieving some level of Above ground discharge. OR I purchased a "roll tank" into which the "debris" was discharged and disposed of as per "cassette". I still use said tank as "grey waste provider" on the current "euro-box"!!. Fiamma product and excellent in my view!

Pete

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Ok. So having had many experiences of this (Espania) There are several "methods" I had a Macerator pump which was capable of achieving some level of Above ground discharge. OR I purchased a "roll tank" into which the "debris" was discharged and disposed of as per "cassette". I still use said tank as "grey waste provider" on the current "euro-box"!!. Fiamma product and excellent in my view!

Pete

As post #11 fiamma tote tank ;)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Seems like a pain the Harris theses fixed tanks if you haven't the facility to empty them, not only that you have to carry round some sort of pipe with fittings full of Pooh in your M/H or empty the turds into a bucket without spilling anything and carry across site :eek:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Yip sounds like a pile of shite......

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
The piping isn't a problem cos you do the sewage first and flush through with the grey water, plus I use rubber gloves. It's quick and easy. Being a novice in all things motor homes I was surprised by the novel variety of sewage disposal. Who would have thought there were so many ways of getting rid of it!

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Seems like a pain the Harris theses fixed tanks if you haven't the facility to empty them, not only that you have to carry round some sort of pipe with fittings full of Pooh in your M/H or empty the turds into a bucket without spilling anything and carry across site :eek:
So your taxi tank needs emptying every day, our black tank will last 10 days (euro box as well) so there is a great deal of flexibility, as to "some sort of pipe", cassettes are a pain in the the Harris when it comes to emptying so me thinks you have a view which needs some education?
"empty the turds into a bucket without spilling anything and carry across site" isn't that exactly what you do with your cassette?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed it is a pita.....
But, what does a cassette hold...20ltrs ?

My black tank held 40 GALLONS...180Ltrs...9 cassettes loads.
Enough to hold 'waste' for a fortnight.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
So your taxi tank needs emptying every day, our black tank will last 10 days (euro box as well) so there is a great deal of flexibility, as to "some sort of pipe", cassettes are a pain in the the Harris when it comes to emptying so me thinks you have a view which needs some education?
"empty the turds into a bucket without spilling anything and carry across site" isn't that exactly what you do with your cassette?
So you carry 100ltrs of shite around with you for up to 10days and hope you can find somewhere to empty ( that's a lot of turds to get rid off if you can't find anywhere) emptying the cassette is not a problem for me, I make the wife do it (educated Thks ;))
My cassette is enclosed, air tight and you can't see what's in it, let's hope you don't trip up carrying your bucket full of nuggets (y)

OP
OP
Cat53
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Our tanks are tiny. We can last out for a mere two days. So we have learned to never ever pass up on emptying the sewage or filling up with fresh water!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Our tanks are tiny. We can last out for a mere two days. So we have learned to never ever pass up on emptying the sewage or filling up with fresh water!
We can last at least four days, without hookup , emptying and filling, but always do at every opportunity, makes sense, we always good for a day or two then.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
We can last at least four days, without hookup , emptying and filling, but always do at every opportunity, makes sense, we always good for a day or two then.
We can go for 10days at least if i go round the back of the M/H instead(y)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Your current "bog standard"! cassette will last 2 days max. The R-V with 40+Gallons capacity is good for at least a week or even longer. (A full 10 days once in the Arizona Dessert!) The fiamma tank is 40 litre and takes a minimum 5 trips to dispose of a full R-V tank!. These things I know, having had it to do all over Spain in the Past. I even made a rig to tow the roll tank behind SWMBO`s Mobility Scooter!. As with all things "motor-homing" it a compromise. The Macerator was the most effective device though IMV. One also has to remember that in their "natural (R-V) habitat" (the USA), few if any site pitches do not have a "hookup" adjacent to the Pitch!, and all dumps are ground level, so having a fixed tank makes perfect sense.

Pete

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007

You could buy one of these
881552_group_silo.jpg
a Thetford RV Tote Tank, available in either 2 or 4 wheel versions and from 12 to 35 gallons(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Had the RV, with the macerator and the waste hog.. and no matter what anyone says.. for the UK and abroad.. the cassette toilet is far easier.. camp sites both here and abroad are by and large not geared up for dumping RV black tanks..

Macerators can and do break down at the most inconvenient time.. Try stripping one down when it is still connected and full of the brown stuff.. been there several times.. they don't like hair.. it binds round the shaft of the pump and eventually stalls it.. hair comes from the grey water used to flush it out.. also.. to be of much use you need to carry at least 50mts of 1" discharge hose.. which needs to be cleaned and stored after use..

Waste hogs.. great fun.. don't buy a big one.. 1 gal of poo weights 10lbs.. a 12 gal hog full of crap weighs in at 120lbs .. try lifting that up to an Elsan point.. or even into a French bourne that is a foot off the ground.. and do this while being watched by half a dozen French campers... all good fun... not.

No matter how big the black tank.. it eventually needs emptying.. and the bigger the tank.. the bigger the job

@Cat53 Personally, I'd look into changing your black tank for a Cassette toilet.. it's far easier than humping shit in a hog or pumping by macerator..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back