Easiest way to receive TV in Spain (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We've never wintered in Spain after 30 years motorhoming. Her indoors has agreed in theory and is 90% keen apart from her TV during the long nights. I need to know the easiest way to secure TV reception without all the gadgets most of the professional funsters use. I'm not a techno and like things simple. Your help is vital for me to convince her.
I'm relying on all you funsters to get me away for the winter.
Wilf

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a cheap diggi tv from asda and use a mercury OT23 uhf/vhf outdoor aerial . its about 9inches high by 3 inches looks like a sharks fin . it does require either mains or get a 12v power lead .
i can watch spanish tv but change the languages most times to english . lots of english or american programs or films .
cant get eastenders corrie etc but enough to watch . plus films almost 24 hrs a day.
i have sometimes not put the aerial outside and it still works by a window .
this year i bought an indoor version off ebay . be interesting to see how that goes .
again its a mercury st28a indoor amplified tv aerial works great here so imagine it will abroad.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
If it is basic UK telly you want, then find sites with TV available at the hookup.
There are other options but they require a big dish, or good WiFi.
Where are you planning to go in Spain and for how long?
Cheers
Ed

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
or an 80cm dish with appropriate receiver pointed at intelsat and you have bbc1, 2, 4, itv 1, ch4 , bbc news and uk radio all the way down to agadir in maroc!

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
If it is basic UK telly you want, then find sites with TV available at the hookup.
There are other options but they require a big dish, or good WiFi.
Where are you planning to go in Spain and for how long?
Cheers
Ed
Hi Ed. We're just going down as far as the alicante area. We've used an 85 dish with skybox for many years but our reception cut off is around Millau. We don't subscription to sky or use a card.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
or an 80cm dish with appropriate receiver pointed at intelsat and you have bbc1, 2, 4, itv 1, ch4 , bbc news and uk radio all the way down to agadir in maroc!
think you may have helped a few over the years . hello . how are you?

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
There will be a good bunch of Funsters in Benidorm this winter.
We will be there, I use a 1.2m dish on a tripod and generally get all the UK channels only losing them when it is raining heavily.
I can also use the Intelsat with the rooftop dish but you would need a sat receiver capable of decoding the UK channels, and not sure how much longer the channels will remain available as Intelsat 907 is coming to the end of its time.
If you do come to Beni join the Snowbirds group to see what is going on.
Cheers
Ed

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
think you may have helped a few over the years . hello . how are you?
not bad matey , hope your well? stayed in portugal last winter so we didnt meet up

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
not bad matey , hope your well? stayed in portugal last winter so we didnt meet up
we stayed in spain .
think we might go down portugal this winter but who knows .
we wont be disappointed if it rains in portugal ,but if it stays dry will be pleased .
mind a quick rush across spain or a rush to morocco might be on the cards . have fun drive safe . might catch you somewhere .
cheers alan.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hi Ed. We're just going down as far as the alicante area. We've used an 85 dish with skybox for many years but our reception cut off is around Millau. We don't subscription to sky or use a card.

An 85 cm dish will not cut it in Alicante - I have one in Gandia, and the main UK channels are right on the edge...with the current heat and humidity (40 deghrees to day they say) I expect severe signal degradation.
A 100x110cm dish should work in the area, but dont expect some of the harder to receive HD channels on it...

Spanish TV via a TV aerial: Many channels have UK and US imported series and movies on them, where you can change thew dubbed Spanish soundtrack to the original English soundtrack.

Intelsat: fine if you want BBC and ITV1, C4 and Five, but if there is something else on another channel eg itv2, then you are stuck. And although the codes required to hack (ie illegally gain access) have not changed for over a year now, there are constant rumours of the longevity of this service.

Bust many sites allow you to have a feed from their dish system

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If your going to bonterra park there's a guy who rents out his satellite dish out for €1 a day. His advert his on the board outside reception.Campsites in Benidorm has a tv connection on each pitch. I like my soaps too.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
An 85 cm dish will not cut it in Alicante - I have one in Gandia, and the main UK channels are right on the edge...with the current heat and humidity (40 deghrees to day they say) I expect severe signal degradation.
A 100x110cm dish should work in the area, but dont expect some of the harder to receive HD channels on it...

Spanish TV via a TV aerial: Many channels have UK and US imported series and movies on them, where you can change thew dubbed Spanish soundtrack to the original English soundtrack.

Intelsat: fine if you want BBC and ITV1, C4 and Five, but if there is something else on another channel eg itv2, then you are stuck. And although the codes required to hack (ie illegally gain access) have not changed for over a year now, there are constant rumours of the longevity of this service.

Bust many sites allow you to have a feed from their dish system
last winter in el campello a few k's from alicante i was getting the main uk bbc's , itv ect on my oyster 85 with an inverto black ultra perfectly aligned and skewed in good weather . any hint of rain and the fade wiped the channels but in good weather it is acheivable. never tried it in summer!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back