Remis Front Blinds Sticking Together (1 Viewer)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Any tricks to get the front blinds apart. Seems like they magnetise together and are very hard to pull apart especially when its been hot (MH faces the sun). Closing them is no problem they click together but trying to prise them apart is impossible, tried to pull from the gap around the mirror, pulling the handles just seems to pull the handles off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Probably a daft question but ............... the handles don't lock together like the ones on my Hymer do they? The handles slide vertically a small amount & one locks into the other (as well as having the magnetic strip).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Probably a daft question but ............... the handles don't lock together like the ones on my Hymer do they? The handles slide vertically a small amount & one locks into the other (as well as having the magnetic strip).

Not on mine - just a magnet (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
No there is magnetic tape on the edges that hold them together, the handles are just to pull them together and to lock the blind out of the way when not in use.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Have you tried holding one handle whilst rotating the other in order to separate the magnets?

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
No there is magnetic tape on the edges that hold them together, the handles are just to pull them together and to lock the blind out of the way when not in use.

Looks like there's something else sticky holding them together (clue in the hot sun exposure). Try cleaning the mating surfaces with some sticky stuff remover(but be careful not to remove the tape).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Have you tried holding one handle whilst rotating the other in order to separate the magnets?
That only results in the handle coming off in your hands...

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We were advised not to shut them when van not inUse as get brittle and fragile .ours are magnetic

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
We were advised not to shut them when van not inUse as get brittle and fragile .ours are magnetic
We were not and we close them to stop the sun bleaching the seats. I have mailed Remus so will see what they advise.

Upvote 0

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
As Graham and Jane said. You pinch the nearest bits of the handles together and the curved shape make the window side of the handle separate. (The bits with the magnet in that is.)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
As Graham and Jane said. You pinch the nearest bits of the handles together and the curved shape make the window side of the handle separate. (The bits with the magnet in that is.)
Ah so it sort of rolls apart? We are going out in it later so will give it a try.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
That only results in the handle coming off in your hands...
Exactly the same has happened to ours (X290) when in sunlight, very difficult to open unfortunately I let the wife open them the other day :eek: and the Handel has come off
We had the X250 (63) which according to the wife were a better quality blind and to open them you pinched the Handel together to open worked fine no probs, the new ones on ours seem to have a cut out where they go round the rear view mirror with a magnetic strip and when hot difficult to open, IMO not as good as the previous version
Be interested to see if there's a solution and if there is one this is the place to find it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Ah so it sort of rolls apart? We are going out in it later so will give it a try.
Nope that didn't work had to force them apart , both handles fell off and the magnetic strip started to come off one side. It was not that sunny or hot today either.

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Any tricks to get the front blinds apart. Seems like they magnetise together and are very hard to pull apart especially when its been hot (MH faces the sun). Closing them is no problem they click together but trying to prise them apart is impossible, tried to pull from the gap around the mirror, pulling the handles just seems to pull the handles off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Just had a look at mine been closed for about 5 days in the sun so fairly hard to open, however on closer inspection the thumb things you usual pull together to open don't actually do anything and are not connected to anything on the blind (wife had pulled it off last week ;)) so able to see they don't affect the opening in any way
I found that by slightly pulling the two black connectors in the middle outwards (away from each other) and towards the window screen released the magnetic strip that runs the full length of the edge of the blind, your basically separating the magnetic strip by pulling them apart at an angle
Difficult to explain, hope it makes sense

Upvote 0

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
In case it was my lousy description:
IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0198.JPG

If the images show up it will be a first for me !!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Upvote 0

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
I tried that but it was so s
Hmm, perhaps the handle fixings have become damaged. I found out the hard way that the handles come off if they are pulled away from each other. It only happened once and I popped them together straight away so perhaps I didn't do too much damage. I then went on to discover that I couldn't get the blinds to stay closed if I held them as in the photos thereby discovering how to open mine. As Gorse Hill says you are separating the magnetic strip by pulling them apart at an angle.

Upvote 0

Jamwitt

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Chandlersford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
4yrs
Got them in my van would only use if on an aire for the night if longer or when van on the drive always use silver screens not that impressed with them rattle like mad when driving ,give me my curtains back as I had in my previous van :(.bite the bullet and get a pair of silver screens no condensation and keep the van cooler and warmer (y)

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Got them in my van would only use if on an aire for the night if longer or when van on the drive always use silver screens not that impressed with them rattle like mad when driving ,give me my curtains back as I had in my previous van :(.bite the bullet and get a pair of silver screens no condensation and keep the van cooler and warmer (y)
Yes, similar with our new van - remis blinds for the first time, where previously had curtains in the cab on the old one. And the jury is still out - they do rattle a bit (though not too bad after a bit of attention), they restrict vision out of the side windows, and the top of the windscreen too, and they feel flimsy and fragile.

Quite a clever idea, but I'm not totally convinced yet...

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If the magnet is too strong, could you run a strip of tape along them to put a bit of a barrier between the 2 halves thus making it less easy for them to get so 'close and personal'? :D

Upvote 0

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
If the magnet is too strong, could you run a strip of tape along them to put a bit of a barrier between the 2 halves thus making it less easy for them to get so 'close and personal'? :D
Probably wouldn't stick together at all, IMO there not that good a quality, a backward step from the previous version

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
So I tried yesterday to open/close the blinds several times and all were easy like everyone says, the problem seems to be leaving them closed for extended periods and maybe the heat. I have a portable one for a car indoors so may use that in summer then go back to the remis for winter to see if its the heat or not. Don't want to have the silver screen fitted all the time.

Thanks for the replies.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MichaelT

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Just had a reply back from Remis, they recommend prizing apart with a screwdriver then applying some tape to make the magnets less effective.(y)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just had a reply back from Remis, they recommend prizing apart with a screwdriver then applying some tape to make the magnets less effective.(y)
I'm sure I mentioned doing that earlier ... great minds think alike! :D

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
weve got them and dont have this problem maybe removing some of the mag strip would make them easier to open but still stay closed i would do a little at a time

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I am fascinated by this problem because, if anything, mine need a little encouragement to stick together. The handles do come off too easily if lifted slightly as they are supposed to lock on by downward pressure.
The Remis concept is a good one but the quality of materials and availability of spares, leaves something to be desired.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back