Hiring in UK (1 Viewer)

Aussie

Free Member
Oct 10, 2009
Brisbane
Funster No
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are Aussie and we are going to America for 6 months in Feb 2010 where we will buy a motor home and tour. At the end of that 6 months we are coming home via UK and plan on hiring a motor home there for 6 weeks. We would like some help and recommendations on company's to hire from, we will be looking for a 4 berth C class.
We would also like to know some info on camp ground cost and does any body do what the yanks refer to as boondocking (just stop any old place) or is that to dangerous, it is popular here and New Zealand.
Any help regarding hire and motor homing the UK would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Barb :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi and a big welcome from me and the "Funsters"

Sounds like a trip of a life time..:thumb:

Cannot help regarding the motorhome hire,, But we have a member who I believe does motorhome hire and is probably the nearest to "Heathrow or Gatwick Airports" assuming you are flying in,, and the south/west of the UK is a good place to start your adventure.. Try Them they are members of this club.. Link Removed

Good luck.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
hi , we did a 6 months boondocking around n.america , only thing was it took us a year :Smile:

yes boondocking [ wild camping ] IS possible in the uk , certainly not dangerous , we haven't stayed on a campsite in uk for 20 years ..there is even a uk website called wildcamping !

having said that it isn't easy , lots of height barriers and ' no sleeping in vehicles ' signs
and clearly the bigger the vehicle the more dificult it is ...when I changed from a 2 metre wide 5.5 metre vehicle to a 2.25 x 6.0 I noticed the difference

you might like to look at the camping and caravanning club site ; they offer a drop in service at some sites , empty tanks/ fill with water / hot shower etc ; can be quite useful for boondockers

if you decide to make a quick trip to france there are free or nearly free sites everywhere , look on the camping-cars info site

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site. Boondocking or wildcamping is certainly possible in the UK with the right vehicle, I have never used a site, apart from shows in 44 years and never had a problem. Should you use sites there are two main types the large commercial caravan sites (CS) with lots of facilities which cost £8 - £25 an night and the smaller 5 van sites known as certificated locations (CL's) which cost from £4 -£10 per night. Even the smallest CL will have black and grey water dump and freshwater on site, some but not all do have Electric hookups. (EHU) These are generally 6amp supplies and sufficient to recharge your batteries, run lights, TV etc. Whilst wildcamping is frowned upon by a lot of people it is neither legal nor illegal there are no national laws either way, however some local councils to prohibit it and display signs to say so. Providing you are legally parked there should not be a problem if there are no notices to the contrary. A few members here hire out motorhomes, hopefully they will reply to the thread. if you fancied a longer stay it would pay to buy, then sell back at the end of your trip, there are a few companies that do that as well. There are also people who would help with the sale for a commission so you just leave the van behind to be sold. Whatever you end up with good luck and enjoy the trip.:thumb:

Roger Watts

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Auckland, NZ
Funster No
MH
Toyota Coaster
Exp
Our experience....

<snip>
We would also like to know some info on camp ground cost and does any body do what the yanks refer to as boondocking (just stop any old place) or is that to dangerous, it is popular here and New Zealand.
Thanks,
Barb

We did this several years ago hiring near Portsmouth for a month. Big difference between UK and this part of the world is that UK roads are narrow, many don't have shoulders allowing you to stop and there are anti-gypsy height barriers everywhere (supermarket carparks and the like). Having said that the good-guys, such as people who inhabit this forum, are plentiful and helpful and will no doubt be able to provide much info.
We joined the Caravan & Camping Club and used their campgrounds mostly.
Big hint - make sure you get a GPS!
Good luck,
Roger (NZ)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Hi worth talking to these people they hire motor homes of varying sizes
Chelston Motor Homes
Chelston
Wellington
Somerset
TA21 9HS
01823 662075

easy access to all parts of the West Country from there enjoy your stay in the UK

bambi 2

Free Member
Jun 7, 2009
france, (Aveyron)
Funster No
MH
A class.
Exp
26 years
Hiring in U.K.

Hi, I can't help with hiring in the U.K. but we have just done 2 - 3 months trips touring America in our lovely Airstream Cutter R.V. which we now wish to sell, when we purchased it last November we had to buy everything from bedding to pots and pans it was not cheap to buy everything for it, my husband even bought tools to use on it, we did not intend selling it for 2 years but I prefer it here in France and so we will not want to use it again. If you are interested look at the classified section, of the motorhome fun site, click on American R.V. then look at the Airstream Cutter £24000, but of course thats negotiable, you can even see a walk round video of it if you click on the Utube link, it is stored in Lancaster and we flew out from Los Angeles. Have a great trip whatever you decide bambi 2 :Smile:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are Aussie and we are going to America for 6 months in Feb 2010 where we will buy a motor home and tour. At the end of that 6 months we are coming home via UK and plan on hiring a motor home there for 6 weeks. We would like some help and recommendations on company's to hire from, we will be looking for a 4 berth C class.
Thanks,
Barb :thumb:

Hi Barb,

Welcome to Fun and looks like you hsve got a fantastic 6 months ahead of you in the States.

Your welcome to try us for your hire but go direct to our website, Old Mo's link is a bit long winded to get to the inormation on hire that you would be inetrested in.

Regards

Peter

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Hi Barb,

I hire a motorhome a couple of times a year for about 3 weeks at a time and I now use this site as a way of choosing what to try. It is good as they have a huge choice of vehicles and from all over UK.

Motorhome hire and rent - UK erento

You will see that most m/hs are expensive to hire and I have found that most other hire companies will charge similar rates. However many of the vehicles on this site can be rented for long term at lower rates. I do not know but I would think that the reductions would not be that great. But as with anything these days try haggling.

September is a good time to travel in UK. The weather is usually pretty stable and warm and the main holiday season is over but everywhere is still open.

Good luck and enjoy the trip :thumb:

Garry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome to the site. Boondocking or wildcamping is certainly possible in the UK with the right vehicle, I have never used a site, apart from shows in 44 years and never had a problem. Should you use sites there are two main types the large commercial caravan sites (CS) with lots of facilities which cost £8 - £25 an night and the smaller 5 van sites known as certificated locations (CL's) which cost from £4 -£10 per night. :thumb:

you having a senior moment roger????:winky:::bigsmile:

CL is the caravan clubs network of 5 van sites(certified location) while CS is the camping and caravaning clubs equivilent (certified site).

theoretical max of 5 units at any time.
the CS's will also include tents in abundance.

both of which will be no good to Aussie unless membership to the clubs is taken out.:Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you having a senior moment roger????:winky:::bigsmile:

CL is the caravan clubs network of 5 van sites(certified location) while CS is the camping and caravaning clubs equivilent (certified site).

theoretical max of 5 units at any time.
the CS's will also include tents in abundance.

both of which will be no good to Aussie unless membership to the clubs is taken out.:Doh:
entry to any site is a the owners discretion no membership required as long as they take a form to say they are joining, hee hee Also if I want to call a Caravan Site a CS then I will continue to do so, ::bigsmile: I was just making a distinction between 5 van sites and large commercial sites. Do forgive me if I caused confusion.
Also the Motorcaravanners club has CL's that are open to everyone As are many other privately owned sites.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Aussie

Free Member
Oct 10, 2009
Brisbane
Funster No
Many thanks

Hi,
This is truely a friendly site I have read other forums here at mhf and was amazed at the friendly response given to those that asked for help.
Thanks to everyone who gave us advice I will contact the hire company's suggested.
Wildman suggested that wild camping is possible with the right vehicle, does that mean we should not hire something to big? There will be only 2 of us but we do like a little room to move.
Great to hear wild camping is permitted, nothing like living on the edge.
Thanks again,
Barb

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back