Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Just looking befor buying
Exp
Did a three week grand tour of Spain
We have just ordered our new Motorhome and it will be fitting out soon. When I spoke to the salesman about tv he said pick the aerial you want and they will fit it. Having read a few reviews I get the impression that its a bit of a lottery if you get a signal or not. We dont watch a great deal of TV and I wonder if its worth putting a hole in the van for a permanent fitting, or go for a stick on job on the window or just outside,
I suppose I should ask the same question about WiFi signal boosters

Thanks in anticipation Dave C

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Stick on aerial is fine until its blowing a gale outside. That's the very time that you want to get into the motorhome, batten down the hatches, get the heating on & watch TV. I personally prefer having a permanent aerial or satellite system. A stick on one will blow off & possibly damage your van.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Although we initially didn't watch a lot of TV, I had one fitted and used it for the radio mostly. I have now had sat fitted - future proofing, and still only listen radio. Come winter we will be inside more and watch more tv. Only once didn't the status aerial work and it even worked in the new forest. A place notorious for poor reception. Abroad, I have no idea.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have just ordered our new Motorhome and it will be fitting out soon. When I spoke to the salesman about tv he said pick the aerial you want and they will fit it. Having read a few reviews I get the impression that its a bit of a lottery if you get a signal or not. We dont watch a great deal of TV and I wonder if its worth putting a hole in the van for a permanent fitting, or go for a stick on job on the window or just outside,
I suppose I should ask the same question about WiFi signal boosters

Thanks in anticipation Dave C
Not an expert in these things as we have took our TV out altogether and we tour all over Europe and never miss it, we do have iPads and phones that we can get tv on if desperate, and we have always managed that without wifi boosters either.
I would suggest a trip or two before spending on something you may not need(y):)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
We didn't bother, just watch dvds if we need tv, which isn't too often. (y)
Same as but use a dvd player ,cant be arse with a tv ,also got a,tape player so that I can listen to audiobooks that I get from charity shops..Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 26, 2015
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Hoping to buy 2016
Exp
None whatsoever
We were asked on more than one occasion where we wanted the TV point etc fitting when we got our new MH in June and I think they thought we were mad when we said we didn't want one.We download films and music on to the iPad and also have a radio.Not missed having a TVs at all

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
We didn't want a hole in the roof either, it really didn't feel right to it so we bought an Avtex aerial that can be stuck on the outside (never come off yet) it will work inside too. Like all aerials they can be hit and miss.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Another vote for 12 volt Avtex ariel = used one for 8 years no real problems - bust a few of the stick down sucker thing but came up with our own solution for securing.
Our new to us van has a dome and doesn't get a signal in trees- whereas the Avtex does -
Avtex is good value = no holes in your van- no fitter to pay - no hassle - easy.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
T.V is one of those funny things that you think you wont watch till those horrible evenings in where its cold and raining and you and the other half are fed up with the board games you have in the cupboard or even possibly fed up with talking to each other maybe!! o_O (not that I have this problem because I find my misses incredibly interesting! :D). Then of course a bit of light evening t.v entertainment goes a long way.. T.V status aerials are very hit and miss but more dependant on where you intend to camp. if you wish to camp on our campsite as an example then they are brilliant because we have a local digital aerial just down the road for the local housing, but of course if you wish to camp in the valleys of wales or the lake district then there will be areas you just don't get it.. like all arguments you can say the same for satellite systems but simply a simple obstruction by a tree is the only reason you wont get it..

For me I have satellite, but I do spend a lot of time in my van at shows as an example and I want the home from home at a press of a button..

I think if it is included in the van purchase deal then go for it and see how you get on... (no harm done). Remember drilling a hole in the van isn't a problem if it is installed correctly, you have numerous holes already in the roof called sky lights!!

If you have to pay for it then save your money and invest it towards a satellite system maybe for the future?

Good luck with your new motorhome when you get it. (y)

OP
OP
D

davethespark

Free Member
Apr 6, 2016
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Just looking befor buying
Exp
Did a three week grand tour of Spain
Some excellent points raised, I think We will go for the cheap fix first and if we like it get the permanent roof mount later Many thanks everyone:)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
It all depends on where you are going to use the van. If mainly in UK then go for a terrestrial system, either Avtex portable aerial or Status through the roof aerial. If you went for a Status it would be best to get it fitted by the Dealer so as to avoid any future problems relating to damp issues.

A terrestrial aerial abroad will give you local stations but obviously only in the local language.

If you wish to receive English programmes abroad you will need some kind of satellite system (Dome or Dish) but you will need uninterrupted line of sight to the satellite. BBC/ITV can be received down to mid-France and further down if you have a larger dish. After that you will just get English news on the wider pan European beam on Astra 2. We use Astra 1 to receive F1 (in German) and other sports (also in German).

The choice is yours. I very rarely camp in the UK so it's a satellite system for me. Then of course there is internet streaming.........but I'll let others discuss that !!!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Avtex STH3000 - excellent product & no holes through the roof! We have a sat nav type plastic disc stuck on the roof next to the (closed) rooflight & when we need tv the aerial is attached by suction pad to that - don't even have to put it outside (y)
Had status aerials when we had caravans but no where near as good.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
As you say you don't watch much tv anyway, don't bother. We watch a few downloaded movies on the laptop but haven't had a tv for over a year now and not missed it at all.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We always take away pre-recorded TV programmes on either USB or DVD and watch them if we want, however on our last 6 week holiday we didn't bother at all - I like relaxing doing my puzzle book and hubby's got back into reading now - by the time we've had tea, washed up and walked the dogs we're not that bothered about TV. If we do want to watch something we can choose something we've taken which we're interested in rather than just any old junk that happens to be on the TV at the time.

Unless you want to watch something specific like soaps etc then you may find you don't really need one.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You may not want a TV but I suspect when you sell it on it will be more attractive to the buyer if it has a terrestrial aerial fitted.

We've just come back from a longish European trip and we watched the TV once for an hour or so in eleven weeks. We also watched two whole DVDs! What sibarites we are!

We've also been to Cornwall in January and when it gets dark in the late afternoon and it's wet outside - on goes the TV! We have a satellite system but given the lack of coverage in Europe now for BBC etc., it probably isn't worth it. Often we also couldn't have a got a signal anyway when we were away, either because of mountains or trees in the way.

Watching the French shuffling around aires to find a satellite signal was a great ritual every night!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You may not want a TV but I suspect when you sell it on it will be more attractive to the buyer if it has a terrestrial aerial fitted.
But the cost of one, even if it's fitted free, is silly money especially since any new owner may not want one.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I've posted about it before but my Avtex works inside the van most of the time, sits in a roof locker when not in use, cost about ÂŁ40(y)
upload_2016-7-29_19-23-13.jpeg

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We started with an Avtex portable aerial and in most places we managed a half decent signal.

We do like our telly and enjoy cooking a simple meal and then relaxing on an evening in our vans spacious lounge area with the tv on beer/wine in hand after often tiring days out all day walking/cycling the area we are visiting.

I've just had a Camos crank up dish fitted to my van so we can still enjoy tv a bit further afield which only takes me a couple of minutes to set up now I'm practiced in it. We'll keep the Avtex on board though as a backup when UK touring when the sat system doesn't have line of sight

I didn't give the hole in the roof a second thought as there's loads in it already from skylights etc!!

If it's free then I'd get it, they will be able to use the same hole if you later upgrade to a satellite system

Depends if you're bothered about tv or not

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back