The importance of the correct oil (1 Viewer)

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
This little story will hopefully act as a warning in time for someone not to have to spend what it's costing me! :-(

RV = Georgieboy Landau 3301, 1999, 6.5 V8 Turbo Diesel, 30,000 miles.

We've had the rig for 4 years now and she's been a belter.
Runs smooth, 13mpg which considering we're loaded up fulltimers I'm happy with.

ALWAYS change my own oil and filter.......just cos I enjoy it.
ALWAYS buy from West Midland American Vehicles (Delco filter, Morris Oil) and NEVER had problems.
However......... :-(

This year, before the French holiday, I had a filter to fit but no more oil and not enough time to go down to Dave's at Cannock and get the same oil.
So, armed with my Chevy handbook, off I trot to the local car shop where i buy COMMA oil at the right grade and the correct spec acording to what's on the can and what's in my handbook.
Did an oil change and we're off to France for 2 weeks where we do 2500 miles down to the Pyrenees via Loire and Dordogne.
Bus runs a treat until, halfway back home, we pull off the Autoroute for a brew after a continous run that morning of approx 200 miles at a steady 60 in not particularly hot weather.
Came to fire her up.......THUMP THUMP THUMP, back through the air filter!!!!!!!
HELL!!!!!!!! Thinks I, What's up? says ffiona.
I recon that an intake valve isn't closing properly and allowing back pressure into the intake manifold.
So, after a couple of gentle probing tickles on the throttle, she quietens down a bit but you can still here it in the background. I've no warnings on the christmas tree, no smoke, no loss of power, no nothing.
So, do we chuck her straight on an 18 wheeler, or do we risk it and watch the dashboard like a hawk? !!!!!!!!!
We risked it, and thankfully she got us home to our "base" site in Cheshire with no further drama.
So, we book her into West Midland and after a good look, Ivan (the mechanical geneus) say's "when was the last oil change?"
"two weeks and 2500 miles ago before the holiday" said I.
"NO WAY!!!!!!" says Ivan, "the oil came out like sludge"
So, i showed him the can with the left over oil, "HONEST" I said, "I DID change it."

Basically, the oil had sludged up in 2500 miles!!!!!!!!
Why? I don't know. The oil brand is the ONLY thing that was different and i KNOW that COMMA oil has been going for donkey's years, they're an old established company. BUT, again, the oil brand is the only thing that was different and even tho it met the spec, i recon it just couldn't hack it in a big 6.5 litre diesel.

The oil sludged, the camshaft lifter (follower) jammed, the push rod jammed into the end of the lifer, the valve wouldn't close properly and thus, i got back pressure.
The head is now off and being machined and at least one new valve fitted (the lifter and pushrod-which have already been done, didn't cure it).
GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT IT'S GOING TO COST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-(
No jam on my butties next month, that's a dead cert.! :-(

..........and all down to a bad choice in oil..........at least I recon.

Be carefull what you put in your pride and joy guys!

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Excellent thread Paul........forewarned is fore armed.

We import our oil from the States so we KNOW its right but not everyone has that luxury.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry to hear about your trouble mate, an excellent post.. and as Linda said, a timely reminder.. :Sad:

I would contact Comma with full details, it would be very interesting to hear what they say, they have a contact page on the site ..

http://www.commaoil.com/

Keep us posted with the progress..

Jim

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Sorry to hear of your misfortune Paul. I have to agree with Jim and would suggest that you contact Comma direct to get their impression. You never know if there is a fault with their oil maybe, just maybe, they will help you out?
It would be interesting to hear there thoughts anyway.
Hope that this doesn't cost the earth mate, please let us know how you get on.

Keith

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
That's a startling story indeed, zaskar, and it made me double-check recommended grades etc for our trusty Ducato.

Both Comma and Castrol seem to use the same basic chart, and while the type of oil didn't come as a surprise, the recommendation that it should be changed after either 4500 miles or every six months certainly did. I thought I was being pretty cautious with an annual change (around 5-6,000 miles).

Food for thought. Hope your bill doesn't turn out to be as bad as you fear.

Cheers, Mike

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I've not checked the oils used so it might be barking up completely the wrong tree but is it possible you've mixed synthetic and mineral?
It doesn't matter which you use but I was advised not to mix them and to use flushing oil (When was the last time you did that!) before refilling with the other. I didn't do it this time as the sump holds almost 5 gallons.

Regards
Doug n Bar

Brambles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2007
Tayside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What it could be is the Morris oil was not suitable and gunge/carbon has built up in the oilways and sump and then you filled with Comma oil it had a better cleaning action and disolved the gunge hence thickening the oil and sending lumps of carbon around the engine.
Just a thought!
Jon.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
What it could be is the Morris oil was not suitable and gunge/carbon has built up in the oilways and sump and then you filled with Comma oil it had a better cleaning action and disolved the gunge hence thickening the oil and sending lumps of carbon around the engine.
Just a thought!
Jon.

......and a good one too. Must admit I hadn't looked at it that way.:Blush:
In my defence, I stuck with Morris oil cos that's what West Midland use in everything that comes into them and have done so for years without any problems.
As they are Chevy experts, especially with the 6.5 TD V8, I'm quite happy to follow thier advice. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back