Free Member
Jul 27, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
i'm a newbie
Hi folks,I'm new and thinking of buying a Ford Transit Custom to convert into a camper.I've seen a panel van and a crew cab for about the same price.What I was wondering is would one be better than the other to convert.The crew cab already has extra windows for a start but do the extra seats become redundant.Any info from you guys would be apreciated!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I agree, Plain panel van would be better. You can install proper double glazed seitz windows that you can open. single glazing causes serious condensation problems which can lead to serious rust problems later in the life of the van.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before you go out and buy a Transit think of the layout you want, for example Fiat Ducatos are wider so if you want a transverse bed you'd be better going for one of these than a Transit.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Before you go out and buy a Transit think of the layout you want, for example Fiat Ducatos are wider so if you want a transverse bed you'd be better going for one of these than a Transit.
Agreed I would go for a Ducato before a Ford. Fords have a horrible reputation for rotting away around you. When doing a self build you have to insulate and vapour barrier 100% if you want to keep the van for an extended period and not have it rot away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Welcome to the club .
Ralph , after much thinking , went for a Peugeot Boxer xlwb. With him buying it new , it offered a brilliant extras package too. Plenty head room and wid h for out rear lounge layout , that we wanted.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
download.jpg
download (1).jpg
I would go for the crew cab. You aren't making a proper motorhome, but a camper van.
All the Transit Custom conversions on the market are based on the Tourneo minibus version.
I would look at the products of other converters to gauge what you need. It is very easy to create a self build which looks plain odd and distinctly DIY. It will have very little resale value.
Using some inspiration from the professionals will help you achieve a pleasing end product yourself.

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Thats awesome.Is that yours?

LOL, no. Found it on Google as an example of a conversion.
We have a Chausson coachbuit motorhome.

Have you considered looking around a motorhome show to check out manufacturers conversions?

OP
OP
S

Stooby

Free Member
Jul 27, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
i'm a newbie
I want to use it.I dont want a huge one.Transit,vito size is about as big as I want to go.Camper rather than Motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back