Betws-y-coed (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all, we are planning on going to Anglesey Circuit on 6th/7th August to watch a weekend of motor racing. We can stop over during the weekend at the circuit, but on the way, we are looking to stop off somewhere around Betws-y-coed. Any places where we can park up/hidden spots that people can recommend would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi, the large car park by the Railway Station has bays at the bottom for Motorhomes and a lot stay there over night, though it's a bit of a grey area as if you can officially, we have stayed many times and had no trouble, but always make sure we have a valid ticket.
Alternatively there are some good lay -byes, in Snowdonia where you could easily park up. Try to get to the circuit handy as the traffic can get busy.

Upvote 0

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Club site on right just after bridge as you enter Betws Y Coed, probably busy? Few sites on route from B Y Coed to Conwy,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi, the large car park by the Railway Station has bays at the bottom for Motorhomes and a lot stay there over night, though it's a bit of a grey area as if you can officially, we have stayed many times and had no trouble, but always make sure we have a valid ticket.
Alternatively there are some good lay -byes, in Snowdonia where you could easily park up. Try to get to the circuit handy as the traffic can get busy.
The car parks by the railway station are owned by Snowdonia National Park Authority whose official position is that "The NPA does not permit overnight stays in the car parks as it takes income away from local campsites.". As with many such cases, enforcement often depends on resourcing so, as Carol says, people do stay without trouble.

Staying overnight in lay-byes is perfectly legal unless there is a local restriction (as with the rest of the country).

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just a thought there is a Brit Stop handy for Betsy Coed if you're in Brit Stops.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I've read all that I can find relating to parking in the Betws y Coed Car Park that is controlled by Conway Council from this page and cannot find anything that says you cannot park a camper there and sleep in it. There is a specific charge of 50p for the night time hours.

Rod

Upvote 0
Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We have staxed In the railway car park at Betws y coed. They have specially marked out camper van spots at the bottom of the car park. Quite a few vans there as well.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've read all that I can find relating to parking in the Betws y Coed Car Park that is controlled by Conway Council from this page and cannot find anything that says you cannot park a camper there and sleep in it. There is a specific charge of 50p for the night time hours.

Rod
That is a separate car park from the NPA ones that Carol mentioned (note the post code given is wrong) but you are quite right, Conwy Council do not allow overnight camping in any of their car parks.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since September 7th 2016
Not tried it yet myself but the large lay-byes by Llyn Ogwen just after Capel Curig look a good bet

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
That is a separate car park from the NPA ones that Carol mentioned (note the post code given is wrong) but you are quite right, Conwy Council do not allow overnight camping in any of their car parks.
It doesn't say anything that I can find in the car park rules that prohibits sleeping in a vehicle, correct me if you can find anything. Camping is of course a different thing to sleeping in a vehicle, lorry drivers sleep in their cabs without a problem so why should we be questioned.

Rod

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's appropriate to deal with those points in reverse order.
Camping is of course a different thing to sleeping in a vehicle, lorry drivers sleep in their cabs without a problem so why should we be questioned.
In the context of land which is not a highway, camping and sleeping in a vehicle actually are not different as they are forms of "human habitation" as defined in S1(4) of the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. Local authorities use similar definitions to restrict camping in their off-street car parks.

The 1960 Act doesn't apply to sleeping (and other forms of human habitation) at the road side (e.g. in a lay-by). Indeed, there is no national legislation either prohibiting or allowing it. Thus, in general, there is no restriction on lorry drivers sleeping in their cabs in such circumstances. The same is true of sleeping in a motorhome at the road side, unless there is a local restriction which prohibits it (as there are in lay-bys where motorhomers have caused a nuisance in the past). See Here for a summary. Motorway Service Areas come into the same category (though there is, of course, a charge for staying more than 2 hours).
It doesn't say anything that I can find in the car park rules that prohibits sleeping in a vehicle, correct me if you can find anything.
I don't know where you have looked but the relevant source is the Conwy County Borough Council (Off-street Parking Places) Order 1997 (as amended). The Order isn't available on-line but you will be able to obtain a copy from the council if you are interested. There are contact details .

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2016
Soham
Funster No
MH
'03 Autotrail Apache
Exp
Since late '06
Hi Nigel,
I too went to Anglesey, from Soham, for the CRMC weekend, as a parader rather than spectating, and after having such a bad time due to the weather have managed to get the go ahead to get a van of some description. The fact that all the gear got soaked through and blown all over the place may have worked in my favour.:D Just got to get the right van now.
Ian

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
In N Wales a lot of the 'A' roads have been modernised in recent decades, leaving remnants of the original winding roads as set back looping lay-bys, although this is more so nearer to the coast.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for all the replies, they are gratefully received. This forum is a great place for us new MH people, thank you all.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back