Driving abroad without V5C doc. (1 Viewer)

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
OK, so panicking a bit early as we're not off until 20th August. However, had a weight upgrade done by SV Tech, sent it off to DVLA 6th June. Envelope from them today, "ah, amended V5" thinks I.
Nope, request for a copy of the converters certificate which I KNOW I sent first time round.
Anyway, no point arguing, replied by e-mail with scanned copy.
Don't know if I now go back to the end of the queue, in which case I have no chance of having the amended original back before we travel. Problem?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I wouldn't have thought so.

We've never been asked for ours.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just carry the scanned copies with you. They should at least show you own the vehicle. Otherwise, just learn to shrug. Unless you have a major accident who is going to know?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Same thing happed to us DVLA took ten weeks to return our V5 just went without it but we did have a photocopy . We took a chance never got stopped

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
When my clutch went in France a few years ago,I couldn't get it fixed without the V5

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Otherwise, just learn to shrug. Unless you have a major accident who is going to know?

Some friends of ours did that in Switzerland when they didn't bother forgot to buy the vignette.

They got pulled and proceeded to play dumb and offer every random piece of paper they had with them until the policeman gave up and waved them on their way :rofl:

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Try ringing them. I had a rather drawn out process to get the chassis number on my motorbike updated. I did everything by the book, sent off the V5 with amended details, sent invoice for the new frame and repairs. Heard nothing for a while (at least 2 months), then a letter asking me to complete a form detailing all the information I had already sent them. I responded by email straightway as the letter said I could and then all went quiet again for another 2 months. I emailed to enquire and had no response, so I rang them. They told me that this sort of delay was not unusual as they were very busy and I would have to be patient. 2 days later the V5 arrived.
However I have done dozens if not hundreds of trips into Europe with various vehicles over the last 25 years and never been asked for the V5. Insurance and licence yes, but not the V5.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just carry the scanned copies with you. They should at least show you own the vehicle. Otherwise, just learn to shrug. Unless you have a major accident who is going to know?
The V5 registration was the first thing the cops asked when that VW rammed me on the autobahn a couple of weeks ago.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OK, so panicking a bit early as we're not off until 20th August. However, had a weight upgrade done by SV Tech, sent it off to DVLA 6th June. Envelope from them today, "ah, amended V5" thinks I.
Nope, request for a copy of the converters certificate which I KNOW I sent first time round.
Anyway, no point arguing, replied by e-mail with scanned copy.
Don't know if I now go back to the end of the queue, in which case I have no chance of having the amended original back before we travel. Problem?
If you don't get it back in a couple of weeks then ring them and they can see if they are able to issue you with a temporary certificate/document to show your 'new weight', assuming it's accepted by them (which it should be), whilst the new V5C is being produced. I had to do this when our new V5C wasn't going to arrive in time for our holiday - I spoke to someone called Rebecca Pugh who was very helpful and emailed me a V379 application form entitled "Information We Require To Issue a V379 Temporary Registration Certificate" (copy attached) which I printed off, completed, signed, scanned and then emailed back to her with ID documentation as detailed on the form, 3 days later she sent me the temporary certificate. Rebecca's contact details are as follows:

Rebecca Pugh
C&EG - Exports-D4
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1AG
Tel: 01792 788501 x 8501

Attachments

• V379 APPLICATION - Temp Veh Reg doc request.pdf
    189.1 KB · Views: 242
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Too many worries.................

If you know you are legal, why worry?

Never been asked for a V5, or any documents

Was asked once at the Spanish border why I had a load of bamboo on my roof when it grew in Spain....ignoring the condition of my van which wouldn't have passed an MOT anywhere in the World.......... it really was a 'shed'

stop worrying (y) just go!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Was asked once at the Spanish border why I had a load of bamboo on my roof when it grew in Spain....ignoring the condition of my van which wouldn't have passed an MOT anywhere in the World.......... it really was a 'shed'

We've been asked for our papers twice, both times when we were going into Switzerland for some reason ... but it was a long time ago!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
What is a V5C document?

Should I used to have had one?

JJ :cool:

Yes you might have done JJ - we used to call them 'Log Books' possibly since they were sort of thick paper thin cardboard - so that used to be made from trees, hadn't it? They were a sort of greyish/ beige-ish colour - not unlike the 'Rose Taupe' colour they used to paint the Morris Minors with the trafficators. After that, they were light green and still called 'Log Books'. Your driving licence would have been a little book thingy at the time. Had a red, shiny cover when I got mine, but not sure what colour or type they were in the Olden Days.

Ring any bells?

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
A lot depends on how lucky you feel, and where you are going. I have never in 40 years of taking UK vehicles on the continent been asked for a V5, but I have always had all the correct documents especially when carrying commercial samples pre single market much to the annoyance of some customs officers once. On the other hand it has the potential spoil your day and hurt your pocket if that nice policeman with a gun decides to be nasty.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Once at spot check in France.
On entering I think they check it, can't quiet remember 100%.
And the main one, coming back into UK when stopped by UK customs. May have just been me looking dodgy but was stopped and asked a few times.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
You should have a new weight plate already and hopefully you scanned or photographed your old one before you sent it off. You'll be fine! Its easy to stress about these things but you must relax.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

Like I said above though the garage wouldn't / couldn't repair the clutch on my car without production of the V5. Apparently it's the law over there. So it's not just about whether the police stop you.

Of course I didn't have my V5 so I had to fart about getting a work colleague to go to my house , locate, scan it and email it to the garage and to Green Flag.

In his covering email to me ( copied to the garage and Green Flag) he wrote " Bloody Frogs".

Green Flag were most upset about that.

I apologised to the French guy in the garage who thought it was hilarious:D

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks to all. We're going regardless, I am feeling lucky, do have the new plate and did keep a scanned copy.
Plus the amended one probably will arrive in time.:)
Thanks again.

OP
OP
Candapack

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
If you don't get it back in a couple of weeks then ring them and they can see if they are able to issue you with a temporary certificate/document to show your 'new weight', assuming it's accepted by them (which it should be), whilst the new V5C is being produced. I had to do this when our new V5C wasn't going to arrive in time for our holiday - I spoke to someone called Rebecca Pugh who was very helpful and emailed me a V379 application form entitled "Information We Require To Issue a V379 Temporary Registration Certificate" (copy attached) which I printed off, completed, signed, scanned and then emailed back to her with ID documentation as detailed on the form, 3 days later she sent me the temporary certificate. Rebecca's contact details are as follows:

Rebecca Pugh
C&EG - Exports-D4
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1AG
Tel: 01792 788501 x 8501
Special thanks for the info Minxy. But you have to wonder why it's easier for them to issue a temporary certificate than just print the actual one. Surely it's just a matter of changing a couple of numbers on a computer.(n)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I needed the V5C last week to get my brake pads changed. French garages seem unable to work without it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I needed the V5C last week to get my brake pads changed. French garages seem unable to work without it.

I wonder how effective it is in reducing cloning of vehicles or their theft. Does it reduce crime or just mean the the there are loads of stolen and cloned vehicles that need repairs that won't get fixed.

Last edited:

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Checked in Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Serbia, Macedonia, Hungary, Slovakia.

Reactions: DBK

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If anything happens even just something stolen from your Motorhome the French police won't even give you a crime report you need for your insurance until they have seen the V5.
Must admit I did risk it last year when DVLA took over 4 months to send me a correct V5 after I upgraded the weight, although I did carry a very good colour copy of the old V5.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We've been asked for the log book before in France but as long as I had a copy with me I wouldn't worry.

We've used the same red folder, kept to hand in the door pocket or glove box for years. It's called our ITS* folder. It holds colour COPIES of our passports, Insurance, driving licences, log book, MOT etc. The originals are safe in a hidey hole in the van.

Scanned copies of these documents are also stored in a dropbox folder so we have access to them anywhere in the world.

*ITS = "in the shit" because when we need that folder, we usually are. :)

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
As others have said you may well get away with it.However should anything happen in France,mechanical problem,accident etc or just what they call a controle! That's just a spot check,they will ask for it.
Not trying to put a damper on it but there is a risk and the choice is yours.Hope it arrives in time then no worries.Good luck.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
About the only time you take your vehicle into a garage in France and don't get asked for the Carte Gris (V5 in our money) is when you are getting fuel

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In Spain they want the chassis/vin number for anything.

I wonder how effective it is in reducing cloning of vehicles or their theft. Does it reduce crime or just mean the the there are loads of stolen and cloned vehicles that need repairs that won't get fixed.
You need the log book to obtain number plates.+There aren't that many places that you can obtain them.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Does that mean that they requirement to provide V5 for repairs is to reduce theft?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back