Free Member
Jul 26, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi everyone

I'm pretty new to motor homing and am in the process of purchasing my first MH.

I need to ask.... is a large (7.7m long) motorhome likely to present me with many problems when travelling around the UK?

Will it restrict where we can and cant go, or is this a fairly normal size vehicle for UK roads, town centres, country lanes etc?

How do others manage with MH's of this size??

Thanks on advance

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
My last van was almost 7.5 metres long,the new one is 5.99.
I miss the space obviously but parking in car sized spaces is much easier sometimes.
I had no problems with driving the longer van in the UK,to be honest the long overhang beyond the rear axle on that van was the thing that needed paying the most attention to.
I drove HGV's for years so it wasn't a great issue anywhere except the tightest of turns but just thought something you may want to consider.
Sorry Devonian a big :welcome3: also,you will get all the help you need here.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome from another (adopted) Devonian.

Lots of folk have big vans and have no problems with them, width is probably more of a factor. I think it really depends where you want to go. I've taken our 6.0m panel van onto Dartmoor and over some humpback bridges where some MHs would probably ground, especially those with long overhangs. We also like to explore off the beaten track roads in Europe and I wouldn't be given a big MH but as is often said, if the local bus can get there then so can a big MH.

If the MH you are thinking about has what you want internally then I am sure it will be fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
2016-05-02-07-04-07-910145456.jpeg

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
:pink:
we have a 7.5m MH and get around ok but Alan used to be HGV driver so not much phases him

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
:hiya2:

I are also new to the world of MH but mine is relatively small, only 6.7m.

Among the things that I learned years ago when driving horseboxes, a long wheelbase Ford then a Bedford TK, is that length only really matters when trying to turn left. Having to move over to the centre or even RH side of the road ensures that some p**** on a bike, motorbike or usually in a car sees this as an opportunity to overtake a big, slow-moving vehicle on the inside. To a lesser extent this may be true in a MH.

But IMHO width is more of an issue, overhanging trees being a fine example of that plus normal idiot driving behaviour from white van men on rural, narrowish roads. Height can be an issue , notably low streetlights overhanging the roads and trees again.

But I'm sure that you will cope and have many years of FUN with bursts of uncontrollable swearing of course.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and
:pink:
We changed from a 5.8m to a 7mtr van last year and have covered 10k miles without incident. It is a little more difficult to park in car parke but there is usually a spot where you can reverse in and overhang on the grass/concrete perimeter.
I'm sure you will enjoy your new motorhome.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
:hiya2::welcomesign:We have a Hymer Exsis at 7.2 long but it is only 2.2 wide we have always had 7m plus vans but usually wider than the Exsis and it does make a difference but you'll soon get used to it.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
:welcome3:
One thing different from car driving, apart from the width obviously, is the 'overhang' section behind the rear wheels. When you turn left, the overhang swings out to the right.

As you move off from a kerb with a lot of lock on the steering, to clear a parked car in front for example, the overhang swings left and can hit lamp posts, parking meters, trees etc on the pavement.

You soon get used to it, but it's something you don't think about in a car or even a white van.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We started with a 7.5 m van and then changed it for an 8m.

No real problems with either van. You just need to use your side mirrors more than in your car.

That's what I find anyway.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
You just need to use your side mirrors more than in your car.

Particularly if you don't have a rear view mirror stuck to the windscreen and your rear facing camera shows a fine view of your bike rack and little else.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've not found any great problems with my 7.5m van. A few roads I've not been able to go down - low bridges, weight limits, 6'6" width restriction (lot of those in the western Lake District I found) - but we've always got to where we wanted to go. I've always managed to get parked, sometimes a bit more of a walk is required than if I was in the car but that's it.

Biggest plus for me would be if the van was narrower - mine is 2.4m, some are as narrow as 2.1m - I'm not sure I'd actually get down many more roads but the ones I do go down now, but it would be more relaxing to drive and easier when I meet another large vehicle coming the other way. We do like very minor roads though!

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Hi and Welcome! I would say it totally depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. Initially I had a 5.5m panel van conversion and apart from height barriers, would take it anywhere I would take a car. We now have a 6.5m coachbuilt and I have to be a bit more careful. On paper it doesn't seem that much longer but the main problem for me can be in car parks with small marked bays. I'll often check on Google Earth if it's somewhere we really want to do. If it's just a carpark, we'll ride round and if no good, move on to the next one.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have a 9m van - parking in a town can sometimes be a problem but we park a little way outside and use our bikes if we have to. As someone said earlier, width is more of an issue - I always think "if a bus or a delivery van gets down this road then so can I" - even single track raids with passing places.

Take it at your own pace, don't feel bullied by those behind you and enjoy

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
:hiya2:
image.jpeg
Our PVC is 6.4m long and only 2m wide. We get to park in regular supermarket car parks , trying to park so we can over hang if pos , over grass etc. We've had no problems getting anywhere or parking anywhere. Even in the littlest villages and narrowest roads.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Look around and you will find lots of examples of people enjoying themselves in large vehicles, so it is perfectly possible. If you are of nervous disposition, though, go smaller rather than larger. It would be a shame to spoil a holiday due to concern about each journey and you are less likely to go out as often.

Having driven and towed large vehicles, I found that difficult situations didn’t crop up very often but, when they did, were readily accepted as a challenge and looked back on with satisfaction.

You will soon learn what suits best but that’s a bit late after the event. If you have no past experience (caravanning/boating) I’d recommend buying second-hand to start with as depreciation is much less. You’re unlikely to get everything right first time, unless you’re very lucky, to plan to keep your first one for only a season or two and treat it as a learning experience. It’s not the kit that matters. It’s what you do with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back