Silicon grease for self leveling-is this OK? (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Look at this on eBay

Have seen this on ebay is it any good to use on the jacks of the e&p self leveling ?
Thanks,

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
I'm no expert on 'greases' but we used to use Silicon Grease for Electronic applications where we needed insulation properties.
I'd think that a 'general purpose' grease may be more appropriate...and maybe cheaper.
But....sure someone will be able to confirm or deny!
John

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Why do you think it needs it Sue? There might be something else that needs a better look at

Where in the country are you now? I know that the firm that fitted ours, SAP, offer a service on them, he did also say it is more of an inspection than a service, but if near Doncaster he is your man

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm pretty sure your handbook recommends it but in a spray
I would read it anyway!

OP
OP
Theonlysue

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
In the instructions it says to spray jacks with silicon weekly.
Just wondered if this would be more robust and need doing less often.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd stick with the spray option as the grease would be messy to apply and might attract debris

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In the instructions it says to spray jacks with silicon weekly.
Just wondered if this would be more robust and need doing less often.
If that were the case they would have recommended that.
Every time you retract the jacks the seals have to scrap it all off. You'd just make is messier

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Silicone spray dries and won't hold muck that gets blown about on site when your jacks are down. Silicon grease is, well, greasy! - so muck will stick to it. Use spray! Weekly sounds OTT though, I'm sure monthly would do fine.

Manufacturers do like to cover their backsides - the Al-Ko drop down legs I bought for my van say to clean and lubricate them after every trip. Yeah, right! They're not exactly a hi-tech item, I'm sure once a year will do fine.

Silicone spray or grease is often specified where there are rubber seals present. Unlike petro-chemical based greases and sprays, silicone won't harm rubber or plastics.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Dont understand why u have to use anything. Hydraulic systems self lubricate every time they are fully extended or retracted, or thats how we viewed those on heavy earthworks excavators.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Like most things I own I have never been near the instruction books, they are reserved for when all else fails and even then I never know where I put them :LOL:

more seriously, when fitted last year, although Mick at SAP included annual servicing for free, he never mentioned anything about applying anything, not sure if my system is any different to others, but doubt it. I would say it cant be that important if he didn't tell me, or others it would seem?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dont understand why u have to use anything. Hydraulic systems self lubricate every time they are fully extended or retracted, or thats how we viewed those on heavy earthworks excavators.
Agreed, but those are in constant use.
MH jacks can stand for weeks without use and the seals and guide sleeves dry out.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Don't use grease - E&P legs have to be sprayed periodically with silicone spray.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back