Truma MonoControl CS regulator and French gas bottles (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Just when we thought we had it fettled, we're stuck on a site in France with no gas!
Our Bailey 620 Approach was sold to us with a red propane 13kg gas bottle. It worked. We knew that, in France, we'd need a different pigtail to fit their propane or butane bottle. We opted for a butane 13kg and got a pig tail that fitted both the new bottle and the bulkhead regulator which is A Truma MonoControl CS safety gas regulator ("the Truma").

We hooked it all up and it worked. We could use the cooker, the fridge and hot water. So, we set off and at the first site, a free aire, we tried to use gas to power the fridge etc. Guess what? No gas. Turned it on and off, gently tapped the regulator with a screw driver handle (in case it was a sticking bearing valve (which we've had on the bottle regulator at home) but no joy.

Unscrewing the pigtail(€37) from the Truma, there was clearly gas leaving the bottle. So attention has shifted to the Truma. The original pigtail has a green rupture protection button. The new pigtail doesn't. No one has ever suggested that the new pigtail to fit the French bottle needed to have this hose rupture protection system. In other words, unless I'm mistaken, you can only use Truma pigtails with this hose rupture button on any bottles of any description. That being the case, I wonder whether we will be able to source a Truma pigtail that works on our van here in France.

On a number of posts I'd seen Truma jokingly (I thought) called Trauma. Now I know it wasn't a joke! And as for Bailey supplying a system so out of kilter with the rest of the world. We asked Dutch, German and French monomers here if the' seen anything lime this and none of them had such a pigtail (high pressure hose with rupture protection. I feel I'm being fleeced by having to buy exotic and no doubt hugely expensive Truma pigtails that no one else seems to need or want.

I do not understand why it worked when we first connected it up (we lit the fridge, the cooker) but now it doesn't work. And, as I posted earlier, the gas bottle provides gas if you disconnect the pigtail from the Turma, so we know there is a gas.

Any suggestions gratefully received. We've moved to a pay site so we can at least have hook up for the fridge and cook with the microwave but this is expensive and not what we wanted.

Thanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume your original hose is something like this:

http://www.autogasshop.co.uk/truma-450mm-rupture-protection-hose-1023-p.asp

upload_2016-7-24_17-30-22.png

I wonder if you are able to get an adaptor so you can use this with a French bottle?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Ingwe Have you tried resetting the green button on the regulator as when you have the rupture protection you first press green button on hose then the green button on the regulator it should work without the hose button ours did when we fitted stainless hoses.(y)(y)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Minxy Girl and Speve
Thank you for your comments. I certainly am hoping there is an adaptor that will fit the hose that Minxy Girl correctly identified.
Speve-we used to press the green button on the hose as you describe but never the green reset button on the regulator. We have however tried pushing it since you suggested it but unfortunately, no success.
Your comments are much appreciated.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Minxy Girl and Speve
Thank you for your comments. I certainly am hoping there is an adaptor that will fit the hose that Minxy Girl correctly identified.
Speve-we used to press the green button on the hose as you describe but never the green reset button on the regulator. We have however tried pushing it since you suggested it but unfortunately, no success.
Your comments are much appreciated.
When pressing it you must release it very slowly as it's the button that comes out when you have a crash if you didn't do that it's worth trying again. Good luck

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had a pigtail with rupture button on our Hymer going to a Truma Monocontrol CS. Took it off and replaced it with a stainless steel pigtail with no rupture button and it still worked fine. I suspect that the answer may lie in pressing the button on Truma fully in and leaving it pressed for at least 10 seconds and then slowly releasing.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well that is reassuring that others have successfully replaced the pigtail with rupture button for one without.
Just to be clear; I turn on the gas at the bottle. I depress the green button on the Truma holding it in for at least 10 seconds, then release it slowly over a few seconds and then see whether there is any gas flow?
Thanks for all your advices.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hope it works fingers crossed(y)(y) don't forget though if it does your hose rupture button won't be there when travelling I don't know how that works with insurance(probably won't cover you) so best turn it off when moving.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Right; going to have another go in the morning.
@Speve-we never drive with the gas on anyway.
Thanks. I'll post back tomorrow.
Ingwe

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like it is a faulty regulator.
Don't see how you can blame Bailey for fitting what is now a fairly common system throughout Europe. The anti-rupture pigtails are a standard fit when the Secumotion regulator is fitted, this makes it legal to travel with the gas turned on and enables you to run appliances that are approved for in motion use like the Combi heater. You can use pigtails without the anti-rupture providing you have cyclinders with ant-rupture valves built in, most of the latest versions of refillable cylinders have them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Right; going to have another go in the morning.
@Speve-we never drive with the gas on anyway.
Thanks. I'll post back tomorrow.
Ingwe
Noooooo ... can't you press it now and report back ... the suspense is killing me! :D

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Where are you in France ? I have a spare regulator here, The French bottles use the same left hand thread connector as a Calor Butane bottle.
Barrie.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
It may be a faulty regulator; but the fault has only started, as we tested the bottle last week when fe finally got the new pigtail. I moaned about Bailey because we looked at other vans on site Detleffs, Apache trail and some French ones and none had the rupture button. Now it may be because of the age of their van. So will be pleased if it isn't a Bailey fault.
I can't try again tonight Minxy Girl; it's nearly midnight.
@bjandlin-what a kind offer but we have a bulkhead regulator and not a bottle mounted one. So not sure it would be of use. Currently at Bourges, hoping to go to the Loire valley. Please don't think us ungrateful! Where is Surgeres? Too lazy to look it up on Google and maps packed away for the night.
Will try again in the morning.
What lovely helpful people you all are!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Surgeres is approx 20km East (inland) from La Rochelle on the West coast of France

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Oh nice area. If we get the van sorted, may well head that way in September.
G'night all. (Sounds like the Waltons!)

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Disappointing news this morning. Had three attempts with the green button but still no gas.
We're going to a motorhome supplier in Bourge this afternoon (Sod's Law, they don't open Monday mornings!) and will see whether they can supply whatever we may need.
Barrie, sorry for my ignorance; I wasn't aware you were offering your spare bulkhead regulator. Very generous but we're a long way from you so thanks very much anyway.
Was a very warm day yesterday 34 degrees but slept well thanks.
Although the dealer we are going to doesn't know of Bailey, he is described as a Truma partner so should be able to assist (so long as they can decipher my hand signal explanations and grunts).
I'll post back when I have some news in case it assists anyone else.
Thanks again all.
Ingwe.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hello all
Apologies for the delay in posting. A combination of no internet and being out buying gas bottles prevented this!
By way of an update, we went to the dealer in Bourges who was very helpful and supplied Truma pigtail with rupture button (for €46):eek:. We tried it straight away and it didn't work. So a mechanic came out saying he was familiar with problems with English vans and after trying unsuccessfully with our 13kg French butane bottle, scratched his head. He could get gas with the pigtail connected to the bottle but not the van and couldn't see why it didn't work.
After 10 mins of him leaning with his ear over the cooker gas jet, he decided to fetch his bottle, which was propane. Connected up and everything worked first time, gas cooker, fridge and hot water. They didn't sell bottles but in any event, as we had the full butane bottle there wasn't space for another 13kg bottle (the locker looks like to should accommodate two 13 kg bottles but their girth prevents this so I guess one 13kg and one 6kg may be the order of the day).
So having no gas and not wanting to pay for hook up we cut short our stay and returned to our French base.
Today we bought a 13kg propane bottle for €24.50 (including 1€ contract charge) and connected it up.
So we now have gas and will set off again on the weekend. We have a full butane 13kg bottle which will use for our French base.
Not at all clear why the butane bottle didn't work but someone may know.
About €100 lighter but we now have a functioning gas system!
I hope this may help anyone with a similar problem and our sincere thanks to all who posted their advice and kind offers of regulators.
Ingwe

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Glad you're all sorted bit of a teaser though I expect someone will know why.
Get and enjoy it now.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The only thing that is different between butane and propane is the 'bar' - propane used to be 37m/bar and butane 28m/bar I think, but they were harmonised to 30m/bar and all appliances in newer MHs run at this 'rate'.

Just one question which is possibly daft but I think I'll ask anyway ... when you connected the butane cylinder you didn't use a regulator on top of it did you?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@Minxy Girl- thanks for the info on the differences between propane and butane. Still not sure why it wouldn't work on butane.
Not a daft question at all but no, we didn't have a regulator on the bottle as well as the van bulkhead regulator.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I'm just wondering here ... does the 'anti rupture regulator' have some sort of restrictor/jet in it which isn't set-up correctly for butane which runs at a lower pressure and thus can't 'push' past it?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
@Minxy Girl-I simply don't understand it; another poster suggested that we try running the gas on the butane bottle with both the pigtail green button pressed at the same time as the green button on the regulator, so that in fact, there should have been a free flow of gas between bottle and regulator. But this didn't work.
All I can think ( an ignorant opinion I accept) is that the butane bottle is either faulty or the pressure in the bottle is, for some reason, too low for the bulkhead regulator to function.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@Minxy Girl-I simply don't understand it; another poster suggested that we try running the gas on the butane bottle with both the pigtail green button pressed at the same time as the green button on the regulator, so that in fact, there should have been a free flow of gas between bottle and regulator. But this didn't work.
All I can think ( an ignorant opinion I accept) is that the butane bottle is either faulty or the pressure in the bottle is, for some reason, too low for the bulkhead regulator to function.
Is there anyone who can try the butane bottle in their MH to see if it works for them, as this, at least, could eliminate or confirm whether the pressure is high enough - if so then the problem lies with the regulator, if not then it lies with the bottle or pigtail ... trial and error seems to be the only way to find out.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I agree that your suggestion of trying the butane bottle in another motorhome would reveal where the problem lies. However, there are no other homers near me that I could ask.
As it is now working with propane, I'm minded to just forget about the butane bottle and use it on our cooker at our French base.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I've just had a quick shuftie at the Truma regulator and it apparently comes in 30mbar and 50mbar versions ... this has got me wondering if you've got the wrong one fitted to your MH. Whilst a propane cylinder would possibly work via a 50mb one due to it being a higher pressure, a butane one I suspect wouldn't ... have you got any serial numbers/markings on it other than the stick on label?

You can tell I like watching 'Columbo' can't you ... I don't like unsolved mysteries! :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Miss Marple@Minxy Girl;)
Attached is a photo of the regulator. Hopefully there is enough information.

Attachments

• Truma.JPG
    Truma.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 45
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
@Ingwe To me it sounds as if you have either a bad connection between the butane cylinder and the pig tail or a duff cylinder. Have you tried cracking the valve of the butane cylinder when it is disconnected from everything?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back