Dometic 7655L fridge not working on gas (1 Viewer)

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi, found our fridge not to be cooling on gas , freezer works fine just the fridge.

1/ Removed the burner and cleaned out the flue
2/ Hovered the burner assembly out
3/ Swapped gas bottles to a full bottle
4/ Turned the temp setting right down and left running for 4 hours than slowly turned it up
5/ flame looks good and strong and blue and the van is level
6/ hob and heating working fine

Still the fridge doesn't get cold / double checked it on hook up all fine.

As usual we are away to Germany with no hook up next month and no one can look at it before we go.

Any ideas as I'm running out, last thing to try is a new jet and burner

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I always remove the jet and check the tiny hole out using a magnifying glass, the tiniest trace of muck will affect the efficiency / cooling of the fridge.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Did you clean the flue out? Badly burning fridges cause soot which sticks to the inside face of the flue and builds up to create an insulating layer stopping the heat of the flame being absorbed into the cooling circuit. As it works fine on electric the cooling circuit must be good so it has to be something stopping the heat being absorbed. Remove the burner assembly and clean the flue with a narrow bottle brush.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I do cringe when I read about unqualified people 'fixing' gas appliances, maybe if already away somewhere I might just look to improve or temporarily fix something, but then get it checked by someone who knows what they are doing as soon as back

Do the same people service their own home gas boilers? o_O

We get ours done as part of the habitation service. having said that good service centres seem to be booked up for months ahead, so needs to be planned in

Each to their own I guess :)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I do cringe when I read about unqualified people 'fixing' gas appliances, maybe if already away somewhere I might just look to improve or temporarily fix something, but then get it checked by someone who knows what they are doing as soon as back

We get ours done as part of the habitation service. having said that good service centres seem to be booked up for months ahead, so needs to be planned in

But Dave, it's a bit different to self servicing the exhaust bit of the fridge to the gas supply side. If Colin did not service and clean the fridge when we are burning Moroccan or Spanish gas for month after month, our fridge would pack up every few weeks.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
But Dave, it's a bit different to self servicing the exhaust bit of the fridge to the gas supply side. If Colin did not service and clean the fridge when we are burning Moroccan or Spanish gas for month after month, our fridge would pack up every few weeks.

That's an interesting point Sandra, I did not realise that gas could be so bad as to cause such a quick service requirement

But the exhaust side is also the bit that will generate CO, I do still think some do not seem to take it seriously enough

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
"We get ours done as part of the habitation service." I presume you specifically ask for the fridge to be serviced then as very few workshops do it as a standard part of a hab inspection. I do service the fridge on a hab insp if it can be done in situ (many can't).

D.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
"We get ours done as part of the habitation service." I presume you specifically ask for the fridge to be serviced then as very few workshops do it as a standard part of a hab inspection. I do service the fridge on a hab insp if it can be done in situ (many can't).

D.

I do indeed, must be about the only well designed thing on my MH, the fridge workings can be fully accessed from the outside, or so I am told o_O

OP
OP
955matt

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Dave yes clean the flue, not very dirty .

We have only had the van a couple of months and no one can look at the fridge before we go away otherwise I wouldn't touch it.

I would have thought it could only be gas supply or the burner as every thing works on hook up.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
If it works ok on hookup then the cooling circuit is functioning well, it can only be down to the size of the flame or there is some reason the heat is not being absorbed into the cooling circuit. Did you check the baffle in the top of the flue?

D.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Yes and fitted my last two boilers myself, I trust my own work more than so called professionals.

Habitation service to me is a waste of money, nothing I can't do myself. The dealer we have brought our last 2 Hymer's from if you ask him about habitation service he says not necessary for 5 years and they are quite a large Hymer dealer.

OP
OP
955matt

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Baffle is in the top of the flue all ok, I know the van was used mostly in Spain before we bought it so thought the flue would coked up.

I don't have a bottle brush I just used a thick cable with some wire wool on the end which was a tight fit, some soot and rust came out but not much.

The T piece on the top was interesting to get the screw out of.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
That's an interesting point Sandra, I did not realise that gas could be so bad as to cause such a quick service requirement

But the exhaust side is also the bit that will generate CO, I do still think some do not seem to take it seriously enough
Which is why it is a good thing to learn how to service the exhaust side, then you can be sure you are not breathing in dangerous CO. Or the moment you detect it not burning properly, you can do something about it.

As for the gas being bad, we went through a stage early this year when Colin cleaned the flue every few weeks, then it was not and has not been necessary since, we can only assume this was dodgy GPL. The fact that he knew how to do this and carried the brushes meant it was all stress free and didn't cause any problems. If you are touring for any length of time it is well worth learning how to clean your flue and jet (no pins allowed!).

Of course it's all very well for me to relay all this to you, all I do is sit back with the a G&T and wait for things to be fixed. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
955matt

955matt

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
bexhill on sea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Double checked the fridge on hook up again, all ok

Removed the burner and this time the nozzle and found the pipe rusty at the end , removed the pipe, cleaned the rust and blew the pipe out.

Still no different :mad::mad::mad::mad:

The only other thing when i cleaned the flue there was a tight spot about 3/4 of the way down , should they be the same width all the way down.

What do you use for cleaning the flue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back