Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
We are thinking of doing 1 week of our 3 week touring holiday in Germany with the other 2 weeks in France.

I'm quite familiar with France and where things are in relation to each other but don't have a clue with Germany having never been before.

I'm quite into WW2 history especially tank warfare so would like to combine some of that type of stuff into the week

Prefer not to do huge mileages every day if possible around 100 miles max so we can get pitched/parked up by lunchtime and use the afternoon for visiting somewhere and then the evening to relax

Can anyone with a similar interest who has toured Germany give me any pointers

TIA!

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Not to do with tanks, but the Nazi Documentation Centre in Nuremberg is very interesting, and Nuremberg is a lovely city.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You can visit the Möhne dam, of dambusters fame, but there isn't much to see now. They repaired it.

What is interesting to see in Germany is how they rebuilt things so well after the war was over, at least in the west.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Up north on the North German Plain. Check my Spelling please "Falenbosel" could be " Falenbostel"

Also Paderborn, I, completely by mistake , attended a reunion of the "Paderborner Panzers" from memory, it was the 10th Panzer Armee , in the early 60s
I was supposed to meet a mate I was in training with in a pub "alongside the Cathedral" (could have been church!) He didn't tell me which SIDE!! I walked in, spect I stood out like a spot on a domino, Any way they soon sussed I was a squaddie and good naturedly invited me to stay.

'spect @Tootles could tell you more cause he was once stationed there for a while

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If you're over that way the eagles nest is worth a trip up to and the museum at the bottom is also interesting

Reactions: DBK

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Concentration camps and damms is all I remember of war time stuff when I was a kid.. Although lots of the then British barracks were German WW2 barracks but I'm not sure you can get in them.. I suspect wars are remembered more fondly by the winners..

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Concentration camps and damms is all I remember of war time stuff when I was a kid.. Although lots of the then British barracks were German WW2 barracks but I'm not sure you can get in them.. I suspect wars are remembered more fondly by the winners..

A few things, most of the concentration camps are still there and are open to the public (most are free entry) Colditz has been open to the public since the wall came down, the British are no longer in German barracks, generally the barracks are now occupied by the Dutch (since 2015, I think) they are NOT open to the public, security and all that

iLondoner

Free Member
Jul 23, 2016
London and Granada Altiplano
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Forte
Exp
Past owner
Up north on the North German Plain. Check my Spelling please "Falenbosel" could be " Falenbostel"
My father-in-law was in the Gordon Highlanders and was captured at Saint Valery a couple of weeks after Dunkirk. He spent the rest of the war as a POW and was in a Stalag XX-B sub-camp at Groudenz (now Grudziadz) in Poland. In Jan 1945 along with another 80,000 POWs in Poland he was marched 750km west through the depths of winter and ended up in Fallingbostel which at that time was Stalag XI-B POW camp, located close to Bergen Belsen concentration camp. When Hubert was liberated he weighed six stone and was flown home in a Lancaster.

Later on the POW camp became a British base but there's still a small museum onsite.

I did a tour of many POW camps, concentration camps and death camps in Poland, Czech Republic and Germany. I stayed overnight in Colditz—the German guard quarters is now a youth hostel.

On the way to Germany you might consider a visit to Hackenberg fort on the Maginot Line, see http://www.bunkertours.co.uk/the_maginot_line.htm#The Fortress of Hackenberg

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
My father-in-law was in the Gordon Highlanders and was captured at Saint Valery a couple of weeks after Dunkirk. He spent the rest of the war as a POW and was in a Stalag XX-B sub-camp at Groudenz (now Grudziadz) in Poland. In Jan 1945 along with another 80,000 POWs in Poland he was marched 750km west through the depths of winter and ended up in Fallingbostel which at that time was Stalag XI-B POW camp, located close to Bergen Belsen concentration camp. When Hubert was liberated he weighed six stone and was flown home in a Lancaster.

Later on the POW camp became a British base but there's still a small museum onsite.

I did a tour of many POW camps, concentration camps and death camps in Poland, Czech Republic and Germany. I stayed overnight in Colditz—the German guard quarters is now a youth hostel.

On the way to Germany you might consider a visit to Hackenberg fort on the Maginot Line, see http://www.bunkertours.co.uk/the_maginot_line.htm#The Fortress of Hackenberg

We actually go to Germany at least twice a year, where we go is ottingen, which is by Visselhovede, nearest town is Soltau, which is in the Luneberger Heiner, either way Bergen Belsen or Fallingbostel is about 20 k's. I visit Belsen every couple of years and Fallingbostel at least three times each visit. There is a very large camp/barracks almost next to Belsen, it used to be the home of the "Desert Rats", now transferred to the Dutch. There's an exceptional Greek restaurant we like in Fallingbostel, and as you enter Fallingbostel there's a "Boot station" (boat station & bar) where you can hire a canoe or pedalo for a trip up the river, and of course a beer and schnapps on your return, roll on June for our next visit

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
We are thinking of doing 1 week of our 3 week touring holiday in Germany with the other 2 weeks in France.

I'm quite familiar with France and where things are in relation to each other but don't have a clue with Germany having never been before.

I'm quite into WW2 history especially tank warfare so would like to combine some of that type of stuff into the week

Prefer not to do huge mileages every day if possible around 100 miles max so we can get pitched/parked up by lunchtime and use the afternoon for visiting somewhere and then the evening to relax

Can anyone with a similar interest who has toured Germany give me any pointers

TIA!

Just developing your interest on tank warfare in WW2 ..have you come across the books writtten by Ken Tout who was with the 1st Northants Yeomanry serving in tanks. He was injured before he got beyond Holland but writes about the push through Germany (D Day to VE Day) and the detail should offer some locations. But also spend time with an earlier book of his (Tank 48 hours in August) a simply brilliant focus on his tank and crew in Normandy.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
If you're into tanks and in north Germany, the Munster Tank museum is a must, more Tigers than a zoo

Link Removed

Reactions: f6c

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The area around Belgium where the Spa racecourse is ,there's a memorial to the yanks who where murdered by the SS and lots of tanks in various village s ,there's a good mark 1 tiger at a place called either the three bridges or the three rivers ,there are Sherman's ,self propelled guns and tigers all around that area ,and as already been mentioned Bastogne,

When you compare the tiger tanks to the Sherman's ,it makes you wonder why our crews even tried to take the tigers on

iLondoner

Free Member
Jul 23, 2016
London and Granada Altiplano
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Forte
Exp
Past owner
Reactions: f6c

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i was most fortunate when i was there,i met a fellow biker and he was an amateur historian on the Battle of the Bulge,he took me on a tour and pointed out places where the US army held up the Germans ans he also took me to a German cemetary ,i counted the crosses and then realised that there were 6 germans to a cross ,later on that day we rode up a track in the forrest and then walked up to a grave of a US soldier ,the grave was kept in an immaculate condition by the locals ,the yank had apparently harrased the Germans single handedly before being killed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back