Dutch "A" Frame (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

On the way back through Germany last week I saw a Dutch registered motorhome towing a Smart car with an unbraked "A" frame, are they now legal in the Netherlands ?

I have some photos but they are to large to paste onto the web site,

Be interesting to know if they are legal in other European countries

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi,

On the way back through Germany last week I saw a Dutch registered motorhome towing a Smart car with an unbraked "A" frame, are they now legal in the Netherlands ?

Hi

don't know about being 'legal' but Car A Tow now have an agent in France.. apparently selling like hot cakes or should that be snails legs .. ? :roflmto:

jim

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,

Hi, We spend quite a lot of time in NL as my wife is Dutch.I have seen a few Campers this summer towing A frames here in Holland and I did ask about it.The reply I got was,If its OK for the Brits to do it in Holland,its OK for the Dutch to do it in there own country. Seems like good logic to me.Have seen a few French with them,but the Germans are not going to be drawn on the subject.I dont think its a question of legal or not,I think they are only doing what we have been doing for years,and that is interpriting the law as you see it yourself:winky::winky::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Jim

I reallly don't see a problem, My main concern was the posssible need to reverse and i tried it the other day in a Supermarket car park and I managed to travel backwards for at least 60/70 yards without a problem albeit that was in a relatively straight line,

I don't know if there was any significance but the Dutch Smart car had its own number plate visable and another trailer board with the motorhomes number plate set down lower so both were visable. The reason I mention it was that I think I read somewhere that in certain European Countries the trailer needs its own registration.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the french company is called jowall i believe, i spoke to the owner of the company in morocco last year i was parked next to him in larache.he as homolagation for france. as to number plates it doesnt matter if you show 2 number plates even here its legal. i have spoken to dutch with a frames and they say the same as you were told, but others say they are definately illegal. sounds like here really. as for brakes i have used an unbraked frame here forbest part of 30yrs never been stopped but i was doing recovery. cheers alan

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
A Frame?

I think i have seen it on a forum site that tow total also have two fitting agents in the EU poss france and germany also at the big show in germany last year there was a german Co selling them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
actually i got it wrong ealier .its jattel the people in france that do caratow aframes . its on there web site here in uk

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back