BT Broadband - problems this morning (1 Viewer)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We are having problems here in the North East. Strangely not all web sites are affected - BBC, and some others are just not accessible, whilst Daily Mail, FT, motorhomefun and eBay seem to be OK.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They have had problems for a few days, but some big servers seem to have fallen over this morning.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
My PlusNet connection is up and down like a whores draws at present. Not sure if this post will work.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not to worry, BT are super efficient at resolving internet issues.

My ar$e they are:rolleyes:

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
My PlusNet connection is up and down like a whores draws at present. Not sure if this post will work.
My plusnet connection is playing up too.
We're off tomorrow, so I've been busy downloading, had about 30gig left to go and the kids blaming me for wifi issues.
Apologies if I'm slowing everyone else down....

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Plusnet website:
We’re sorry that some BT and Plusnet customers have been experiencing problems accessing some internet services this morning. This is due to power issues at one of our internet peering partners’ sites in London.

Someone forgot to put some coins in the electric meter :rolleyes:

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Had problems here in Wiltshire - at least I did - but seems OK now. I couldn't get any emails from Yahoo on the laptop but strangely could on my iPhone. Some web sites would work but some others wouldn't. Oh, and the BT Desktop Help was no go.

Dave

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
There was a power outage at Telecity Docklands (Harbour Exchange), effecting BT / Pussnet and a number of banks etc

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
PlusNet rock solid at Langtoft Towers - lets hope the Open Reach engineers don't mess it up as they "fix" it.
It was power related - so (fortunately) Open Wretch "engineers" won't be allowed to touch / make it worse ;)

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
If anyone's been having connection issues again today (BBC site failed for me earlier), it might be because another exchange in London had a power failure this morning. BT and Plusnet again.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The problem yesterday was at Harbour Exchange Square where LInX is located. I used to have my business based there and I can tell you it is a nightmare place to operate from. Many problems with power including a massive power surge that took out a not insignificant portion of my servers. I was happy to leave that place. Back then it was called Redbus however.

Todays outage was apparently a circuit breaker tripping. Same company however. It looks like over the last 18 years they still haven't figured out how to provide stable power to the companies operating at those data centres. Grrrr.

I am not one to come to the defence of BT normally but in both these two "events" it was not BT's fault.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The problem yesterday was at Harbour Exchange Square where LInX is located. I used to have my business based there and I can tell you it is a nightmare place to operate from. Many problems with power including a massive power surge that took out a not insignificant portion of my servers. I was happy to leave that place. Back then it was called Redbus however.

Todays outage was apparently a circuit breaker tripping. Same company however. It looks like over the last 18 years they still haven't figured out how to provide stable power to the companies operating at those data centres. Grrrr.

I am not one to come to the defence of BT normally but in both these two "events" it was not BT's fault.
Of course it's BT's fault. They should ensure they only use facilities that have stable and reliable supplies with adequate back-up. :mad:

Reactions: DBK
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

No it wasn't
Yesterday - Telecity, Harbour Exchange
Today - Telehouse, North.

I always love to give BT a good kicking, but in these cases, let's just leave it at lack of "diverse routing" and be done ;)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
And if you want to read the about the MAJOR fault I suffered through.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/02/redbus_incident_report/

They say it had limited effect. However it was almost a full working day without power, and when the power came back on there were literally 100's of technicians from many companies running around the data centre floor getting in each others way trying to replace fuses and servers. Over half my fuses were blown. The data centre owners had to send staff out round London hunting for fuses which they then handed out on the data centre floor. From memory I lost at least 6 servers from the initial surge and just under half of the remaining servers had blown fuses. This happened across 2 floor of the Harbour Exchange Square building and they only operated on 3 floors at that time.. They upgraded the power system just after this to prevent repeats but there was at least one more failure before I finally moved of there.

Redbus was bought out by Telecity not long after that. Who were then bought out by equinix.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No it wasn't
Yesterday - Telecity, Hardbour Exchange
Today - Telehouse, North.

I thought Equinix had bought both companies out some time ago. I admit I was wrong on that count. There was talk some time ago of Equinix buying Telehouse. Equinix did buy out Telehouse Internet Exchange (TiX) so I was probably mis-remembering this? Equinix owns Telecity.

I always love to give BT a good kicking, but in these cases, let's just leave it at lack of "diverse routing" and be done
They did have diverse routing, which is why it did come back up. However the traffic was then routed via other networks which suffered a higher traffic than normal hence the country wide slow down for some people. BGP routing as you probably know is not instant when routing around issues.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
And if you want to read the about the MAJOR fault I suffered through.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/02/redbus_incident_report/

Basically - CT came lose - fell off into bit where it ought not to be - caused big bang - UPS array didn't go into static bypass - everyone run away even though data halls are positive pressure and protected by fire suppressant systems - eventually someone came back and put UPS array into manual wrap around.
A nasty (and expensive) catalogue of errors - and I bet Redbus invoked the "our problem becomes your loss clause" :(

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A nasty (and expensive) catalogue of errors - and I bet Redbus invoked the "our problem becomes your loss clause" :(
Yup Major Screw up. Their bigger customers got compensation but small player like me with only 2 racks got shafted. It took me a year+ to recover from the financial impact and I lost a bunch of clients due to it. I never forgave them for that particular outage.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
everyone run away even though data halls are positive pressure and protected by fire suppressant systems
Standard practice to run away when fire alarm goes off. They say that FM-200 is safe for humans, but I for one wouldn't want to risk my life for fire and possible FM-200 problems.... Especially when you are in a high rise on the 8/9th floor and have loads of security doors to get through to get out. I would have run as well :p

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I remember doing my Halon training - that really is scarey stuff.
You can stand in a room throughout a FM200 dump and breathe normally. I haven't tried it, and have no intention on trying - although I was in a data hall when an FM200 system went into "first knock". Fastest I've moved in many years - Even for my size, I moved damn quick !! ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back