LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just out of curiosity,, does it do or could it do any harm if you run the on board Genny while connected to an EHU... ?

I leave my RV hooked up to the mains mainly because when it is damp and chilly I leave a Delongi oil filled radiator on very low.

And as with any motorised equipment have always run the motor`s for a few minute`s to keep the cylinders/bores moving parts lubricated. every now and then.

Will it do any harm? or should I disconect the EHU ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Mo

Depends how the 230v conversion has been done, it should have an isolating contactor on the genny output that is energised when you connect the EHU ..you may be able to hear it clunk as you connect.. some systems have a manual change over switch.

If at all unsure best to disconnect before running .. the genny is 110v 60hz .. EHU 230v 50hz .. they don't mix well :Eeek:

jim

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi Mo

Depends how the 230v conversion has been done, it should have an isolating contactor on the genny output that is energised when you connect the EHU ..you may be able to hear it clunk as you connect.. some systems have a manual change over switch.

If at all unsure best to disconnect before running .. the genny is 110v 60hz .. EHU 230v 50hz .. they don't mix well :Eeek:

jim

Afternoon Jim,, that clunk,, I get one if the mains is connected at the house end when I plug in to the RV and it sounds as if it is coming from a balck box with slots in inside the wardrobe,, and noticed occasionally I can hear a noise from that box like a fan starting and stopping,, not very often must admit.

Oh what it is to be thick.. :Doh:

Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Running genny with hook up is not realy doing much for the gen side of things
Good practice to run geny for an hr under load ie Air con running once a month
to keep every thing inc air con Tickity Boo:thumb:
Geo

May 22, 2008
Funster No
This seems to me a bit like starting your engine when on EHU, all is supposed to be protected,but why risk it? a friend of mine did just this and " blew " up his Blue Hymer Control box, not cheap to replace.I have a free standing Gennie but wonder sometimes why I lug it around as it very seldom is needed.:Blush::Blush::Blush:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Mo

I'm sitting here wondering why you would want to run the genny when your hooked up ?

Jim
:Smile:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
I tried it on a brand new Forest River Georgetown - and it cost the Warranty Company a new control board!

Olley tells me that there should be some kind of detector thingummy in the electrics locker that will redirect the supply from hook-up to Genny or vice versa.

It didn't work for me - so nowadays, I always dissconnect before I exercise the genny.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Mo

I'm sitting here wondering why you would want to run the genny when your hooked up ?

Jim

At the time in question I was on a 4 amp supply hook-up - and wanted to use my domestic kettle for a quick cup-of-tea.

Took me several days to get the genny repaired, added to my knowledge considerably, and I didn't get my cup-of-tea! :Doh:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
At the time in question I was on a 4 amp supply hook-up - and wanted to use my domestic kettle for a quick cup-of-tea.

Took me several days to get the genny repaired, added to my knowledge considerably, and I didn't get my cup-of-tea! :Doh:

Sorry Mo. The part about the cuppa is a real bummer.

Jim

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi Mo

Jim

It is of late I have put the heater in to come on when temp drops below 10deg, which it has a few nights now,, hence the EHU being left on.

I have also been taught and through finding out to my cost that to leave an internal combustion engine sat for long periods does the valve seals and bores no good.

Hence my question regarding starting when on EHU, I now know that it does or is likely to cause damage..

Even though because of what "Scotjimland" has said I am pretty sure I have the cut out switches/devises Jim spoke of.. Thanks Jim.:thumb:

So on my fortnightly flash up of the Genny I will disconect the EHU while I run the Genny..

And thanks to "Geo" I now know it is better to put it under load.. :thumb:

What may seem stupid questions to some, to me they are all a big learning curve,, Did not have such things in all my European M/Homes nor my Caravans & 5th wheel..

Good battery`s/EHU/or Genny and that was it. and in our first caravan gas mantle lights and an old "Ubique" open flamed heater,, year 1965.. :winky:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hello Roger

I see you have managed to retain the sarcastic element of your character.

It wasnt really and anyway Moandicks answer was a better one albeit they didnt initiate the post.

Go try find something to complain about.

Isn't Gordon Brown your normal target for irrational abuse.

Jim
:Doh:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Our old RV had a box gizmo that wouldnt let the genny start if the hookup was connected.

But agree with Jim about running it for an hour with the a/c on. Always a good idea to stretch the legs on both systems once a month

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi OldMo
Its not a stupid question which is why I asked why you would do it. Now we all know.
Jim
:winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, my old Tiffin has a black box in a locker with a three pin UK socket comming out so you can use 220 volt on the outside from either the genny or EHU.This box also automaticly switches power from mains or genny. Dont know how it works but it does. The RV was imported new into the UK so therfore has no 110 volt. All appliences are 220 volt.Wiffy did once start genny when we had hookup,only through chance to use microwave and no damage was done,so whatever is in the black box certainly works.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back