Fridge Internal Fan (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys

Has anyone ever fitted a fan inside their fridge?

If so how did you power and switch it

I have already fitted external vent fans, however I think that an internal fan would help maintain an even temperature in the fridge.

Thanks

Reactions: DBK
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Don't know of anyone doing so but if you want to try it out there's a route in for wires where the thermostat sensor(s) enter. I'd use mini screened lead (mic lead) because it's round in section.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Don't know of anyone doing so but if you want to try it out there's a route in for wires where the thermostat sensor(s) enter. I'd use mini screened lead (mic lead) because it's round in section.
The thermostat cable exits behind the cooling element.

But the light power cable exits further down !

Step 1 - cables in
Complete !

image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Job complete

Fitted a digital thermostat
The left hands one is for the internal fridge fan and the right hand one is for the external vent fans
It's showing the internal temperature of the fridge as 26 deg as the fridge has only just been turned on.
image.jpeg

I fitted the fan at the top of the fridge. A 120mm PC cooling fan fits perfectly above the top shelf. I fixed it to the ceiling of the fridge using self adhesive cable tie holders.
The fan is fitted with a finger guard.

image.jpeg

I fitted the sensor for the thermostat about half way down the fridge, just above the light

image.jpeg

The fan is set to run when the fridge temperature is above 8 degrees and should help maintain an even temperature throughout the fridge.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I thought the idea of a fridge was to have different temperatures at different levels as some food needs to be kept cooler than others ...

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I thought the idea of a fridge was to have different temperatures at different levels as some food needs to be kept cooler than others ...
We've got a fan in our Neff integrated fridge at home.
We've found in our Dometic fridge that the bottles in the door are not particularly cold and that the natural air circulation is poor. It's a large, tall fridge with only a relatively small cooling element.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's a great idea and I'll be interested to see how you get on. The big unknown is how the fan will cope in the environment.

I shall report back after our next trip!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I shall report back after our next trip!
I've certainly found huge differences in temperature in our fridge and the door as you say is the warmest place. My instincts are to go for a compressor fridge but I think they don't make them in large sizes which you probably need for your MH.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've certainly found huge differences in temperature in our fridge and the door as you say is the warmest place. My instincts are to go for a compressor fridge but I think they don't make them in large sizes which you probably need for your MH.
Ours is a Tec Tower which has an oven built into the top of it, so upgrading isn't an option.
The freezer is really good, it's just the fridge that's a bit weak
Hopefully this will help

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ours is a Tec Tower which has an oven built into the top of it, so upgrading isn't an option.
The freezer is really good, it's just the fridge that's a bit weak
Hopefully this will help
I don't know, these people with BIG fridge freezers are never happy ... I'll swap our little one for your 'troublesome' big one any day! :D

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
That's a very neat job Robert.
Will be interested in the result after your next trip.
Where are the two displays fitted?

Richard.
The displays are fitted in the toilet cassette cupboard - the power is taken from there too

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We've found that the fuller the fridge the better it seems. The fan idea seems good though. Watching with interest.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We've found that the fuller the fridge the better it seems. The fan idea seems good though. Watching with interest.
I find the same, but do have many anomalies in operation. I have now moved to 4 on the scale and get closer to 6 degrees in the centre of the fridge. I am noticing a difference in temperature with some electricity supplies ( I tend to try and maintain electric if on EHU over 6 amps) but I do not have ab AC voltmeter fitted. I have the double external fan setup recomended by @Techno and it has some improvement, the concept of an internal fan is one I had not considered due to the incursion into the itegrity of the unit whilst still under warranty.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Job complete

Fitted a digital thermostat
The left hands one is for the internal fridge fan and the right hand one is for the external vent fans
It's showing the internal temperature of the fridge as 26 deg as the fridge has only just been turned on.
26 deg, sounds about right for a 8505 fridge.:ROFLMAO:

I don't know, these people with BIG fridge freezers are never happy ... I'll swap our little one for your 'troublesome' big one any day! :D
Really Mel, you would have a 8505 you must be barking mad, Dometic's worst effort to date, I know I've got one.:LOL:

Now trying to be serious, it will be interesting to see if it improves the performance.
Where did you fit the external fans I assume in the bottom vent or did you manage to fit them in the top roof vent?

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
26 deg, sounds about right for a 8505 fridge.:ROFLMAO:

Really Mel, you would have a 8505 you must be barking mad, Dometic's worst effort to date, I know I've got one.:LOL:

Now trying to be serious, it will be interesting to see if it improves the performance.
Where did you fit the external fans I assume in the bottom vent or did you manage to fit them in the top roof vent?
Top vent, but with the temp sensor behind the bottom vent

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Update
Having been running overnight ( now 8:00am) the internal temp of the fridge has fallen to 7 deg and the internal fan has switched off.

image.jpeg

The fridge is currently set at 4/5
Ideally I'd like an internal temp of 5 deg, which is the same as our fridge at home.

I'll see how stable the temperature is during the heat of today and if it can maintain 7 or 8 deg I'll try setting the fridge at 5/5 (max)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I find the same, but do have many anomalies in operation. I have now moved to 4 on the scale and get closer to 6 degrees in the centre of the fridge. I am noticing a difference in temperature with some electricity supplies ( I tend to try and maintain electric if on EHU over 6 amps) but I do not have ab AC voltmeter fitted. I have the double external fan setup recomended by @Techno and it has some improvement, the concept of an internal fan is one I had not considered due to the incursion into the itegrity of the unit whilst still under warranty.
No holes were drilled in the fridge, either running the cables or fixing the fan.
The electrical connections for the fans are separate to the fridge, do as such the installation does not have any physical impact on the fridge, so should not cause any warranty issues
If needed, the internal could be disconnected and removed, leaving no trace

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
More than happy with our old Electrolux AES Fridge/Freezer, chilling down bottled and canned beer (in the door shelves) nicely thanks. (y)

Unfortunately, they are slowly becoming a rare beast.:(

@Robert Clark. Nice work Robert. I hope it works out long term for you. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
More than happy with our old Electrolux AES Fridge/Freezer, chilling down bottled and canned beer (in the door shelves) nicely thanks. (y)

Unfortunately, they are slowly becoming a rare beast.:(
What is ... the fridge or the canned beer!!! :D

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Update:
Sat here in sunny Italy

image.jpeg

29.7 degrees outside
5.3 degrees in the fridge

The internal fan has certainly helped keep the contents at an even temperature

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Great results Robert, will be looking at doing the same to mine if we keep the van or if we change as both vans we are looking at come with the 8505 fridge. Cant believe Dometic's spec., 7deg with outside temp of 30, when travelling Europe 30 is not that high and 7 is not cold enough for beer or food.
We are only half way down Germany in mid September and its 33.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Great results Robert, will be looking at doing the same to mine if we keep the van or if we change as both vans we are looking at come with the 8505 fridge. Cant believe Dometic's spec., 7deg with outside temp of 30, when travelling Europe 30 is not that high and 7 is not cold enough for beer or food.
We are only half way down Germany in mid September and its 33.
We've found performance also improves when you have less in the fridge.
When we gat back home I'm going to see if it's possible to mount the external fans horizontally, directly above the cooling tube for even better circulation.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
We've found performance also improves when you have less in the fridge.
When we gat back home I'm going to see if it's possible to mount the external fans horizontally, directly above the cooling tube for even better circulation.
We have found that too Robert, and it says in the manual that less allows better air circulation and therefore better cooling.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back