Caravan club or camping and caravanning club ? (1 Viewer)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
There have been plenty of previous threads on this with both reccomended for various reasons and some being with neither .. have a quick search

Edit : were a member of both .. mainly for cls cs' and temp holiday sites

Edit 2: .. we have no real desire to wild camp unless completely unavoidable

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
If you want a nice quite regimented stay choose Caravan Club.
Or if you prefer screaming unsupervised children running around your out fit go for Camping & Caravanning Club.

Off now and
ssc_hidingsofa.gif
waiting for fall out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
You'll be disappointed in me then, take my reasonably well behaved grandchildren to both CC and C&CC sites, main criterias are area we want to visit and vacancies on the correct date.
Have been to THS and rallies with both groups, found CC ones like god's waiting room, apart from a lovely new year meet which catered for all ages.
Still a member of both and was thinking of dropin CC, but got best insurance, home and travel through them, so might just give them the benefit of the doubt for another year. Use a few C&CC 5 van sites, where i have mostly been asked for membership card, must look like a dodgy character.
Spoke to some solos recently who prefer the pricing system at C&CC

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Given the overall cost of buying, owning, running & enjoying a motorhome I am bemused by this oft asked question.

Choose one, or choose both for £48, £37 or £85 for both & see which or none suits you best.

First year I was Caravan Club, discount on HHA membership & insurance.
This year both & have used the CC York site & CCC Dunstan Hill site (open to non members so site fee discount pretty much saved annual membership).
Also Britstop member.

For me the £100 plus gives me a huge choice of where to stop because I'm not (yet) comfortable wild camping.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I belong to both clubs even though I rarely camp in the UK.

The CC do a good European campsite guide, but you can buy this as a non-member, albeit for slightly more. The CC sites are good with heated showers etc. The site booking system is flexible so if you need to cancel this can be done without cost, providing you don't habitually abuse the system. I used their storage facilities when between Mohomes.

The CCC sites tend to be a bit more rustic and welcome all types of camper. The site booking system is not quite so flexible, in fact you have to pay up front (well, I did when I last booked some years ago). I arrange my travel insurance and house insurance with the CCC.

Both clubs have a good network of 5 van sites in the form of CL & CS. These are general much cheaper than official club sites.

If I were to subscribe to just one club, I'd choose the CCC.

For you, it's probably best to consider what areas you would most likely wish to camp and choose the club that ticks the most boxes.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I'm in both primarily because of the Insurance. I use CC for Motorhome insurance and C&CC for home insurance. I had hoped to use one supplier for both but couldn't get the right home Insurance cover from CC. Just renewed MH with CC £240.00 for a 12 month old A class so getting access to the sites is a free bonus as far as I am concerned!

Upvote 0

Kensmith314

Free Member
Mar 18, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
Almost a year
I'm probably not going to rejoin the Camping and Caravanning Club this year because they have changed the earliest time you can arrive on any site to 1.00 pm.
The Caravan club still allow you on at midday.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
we have tried both and much prefer the CC sites and booking system. There are some great sites in very good locations for both clubs. We tend to use the ones local for weekend breaks like Bristol (next to SS great Britain) and Cirencester sites. The booking system is great you can book and upto 7 days before to cancel. The C&CC you have to pay upfront and cancel before 30 days! If you wait till the october show join at the NEC and you get two free night vouchers which pays for the membership. We join the C&CC one this way every few years just to use the Salisbury site.:)

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
We're in both and have been for years. For us, it's more about the locations than the sites themselves and both clubs have sites in some great locations (for us). I would say that it is so much easier to find places to stay, particularly at short notice, on the Caravan Club website so we probably use those sites more.

Upvote 0

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I'm probably not going to rejoin the Camping and Caravanning Club this year because they have changed the earliest time you can arrive on any site to 1.00 pm.
The Caravan club still allow you on at midday.
That 1pm thing is so annoying .. we turned up a bit early at St Neots last weekend and were scowled at and ordered away.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2011
Coventry. England
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
Since 2009
Been a member of both but dropped CCC this year. I have a big gripe with CC as the online booking system is almost a waste of time, dates you require may be displayed as already booked yet if you phone the site direct most of the time there are pitches free. I understand some of the problem is people block booking sites in advance and not turning up which is very selfish. The CC should take a non refundable booking fee at the time of booking and require a notefiction from the person booking four weeks before to make a confirmation that they will honour the booking.

Basa

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I only use the C&CC and only because I camp in the New Forest a lot and this gives me discounted fees. I think it is 3 days pays to recoup the membership costs, then the 4th day reap the benefits of the cheaper fees, so to me is very good value for money. Until this weekend just gone, I had never used a camp site or CS before, but took the opportunity to use a good CS for much cheapness and would certainly use a CS again. I am a bigger fan of pub stop overs / BritStops, but if camp sites are your thing, then a précis of the plethora of other threads on this subject is that CC is too regimented and C&CC clubs are more relaxed in rules which could lead to the more unruly campers.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Neither.

We'd rather sell the van and stay at home than stay on any of their camp sites.

It's possibly worth paying them for (official) access to their CL and CS networks although in practice I've yet to come across an owner of one of these who cares about checking membership cards and not being a member has never stopped me staying on one when I've wanted to.

The only one we're in now is Britstops and I can't see a situation where I could ever be persuaded to rejoin one of the "big clubs."

Upvote 0

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
That 1pm thing is so annoying .. we turned up a bit early at St Neots last weekend and were scowled at and ordered away.
I agree. We had a similar issue a few weeks ago. Mind you I think both clubs are guilty of doing things more for the convenience of the wardens than the members.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Been a member of both but dropped CCC this year. I have a big gripe with CC as the online booking system is almost a waste of time, dates you require may be displayed as already booked yet if you phone the site direct most of the time there are pitches free. I understand some of the problem is people block booking sites in advance and not turning up which is very selfish. The CC should take a non refundable booking fee at the time of booking and require a notefiction from the person booking four weeks before to make a confirmation that they will honour the booking.

Basa

The CC will only allow 3 no shows or cancellations within the 7 days before they will take action. I think they are trying to sort it, but agree would rather they charged for the first night if they don't show up. That would stop the block bookings.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We are in both but mainly to use the CL/CS sites. Tried to book a Club Site for one night at the weekend but it just didnt work until I phoned and asked and was told minimum 2 nights at weekend - would have been good if a message had been displayed to say that when trying to book on line. We use a mixture of Britstops/CS/CLs in the UK and it works well for us.

Upvote 0

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
For the last 3 years we didn't join either clubs, instead using a mixture of private campsites, britstops, fun rallies/meets or wild camping for our weekends away. It worked well but I found it slightly stressful deciding where to go and ringing up etc.

This year we joined CCC and it's been a revelation. We've had 4 great weekends away using their DA (district areas)
Every weekend there is a meet held by the different DA's, info either online or in the magazine. No need to book, just turn up and very reasonable, we paid £7.50 per night per unit to attend Upton Blues festival last weekend.

The people are really friendly, a mix of moho's, caravans and tents. We've had a great weekend next to the cricket pitch in Brecon, stayed at a campsite in Pembrokeshire, enjoyed a weekend in a field in Henley on Thames (which included a firework display and Upton.

What's not to like?

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We are in both, have been for years, it's cheap and works for us.

Upvote 0

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
We are in both having rejoined the CCC this year as we did not like the CCC sites we visited when we towed the tin tent, pitches to small, to close together, toilet facilities not great etc. Now we have the MoHo these things don't bother us now as we use the shower in the van and don't have an awning or tow car. We find that being members of both plus Britstops gives us options when wanting a weekend away as it is not always practical for us to wild camp.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Neither.

We'd rather sell the van and stay at home than stay on any of their camp sites.

It's possibly worth paying them for (official) access to their CL and CS networks although in practice I've yet to come across an owner of one of these who cares about checking membership cards and not being a member has never stopped me staying on one when I've wanted to.

The only one we're in now is Britstops and I can't see a situation where I could ever be persuaded to rejoin one of the "big clubs."
Other than the cost what is wrong with either clubs sites? Clean,good showers and toilets,,what else do you need. BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Caravan Club has the better magazine,,,like C & C Club for winter Spanish rallies,,,,CL s and C S s good value. Its not a lot of money to join both...BUSBY.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
The CC will only allow 3 no shows or cancellations within the 7 days before they will take action. I think they are trying to sort it, but agree would rather they charged for the first night if they don't show up. That would stop the block bookings.
I think they should take a deposit on bookings like commercial sites do. BUSBY.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Other than the cost what is wrong with either clubs sites? Clean,good showers and toilets,,what else do you need. BUSBY.

Personally I don't need the toilet and showers. My motorhome has perfectly good facilities on board so why would I want to share with a load of other people I don't know?

I also don't need endless rules, unnecessary regimentation, poor locations, staff with shitty attitudes and other campers with worse attitudes.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Personally I don't need the toilet and showers. My motorhome has perfectly good facilities on board so why would I want to share with a load of other people I don't know?

I also don't need endless rules, unnecessary regimentation, poor locations, staff with shitty attitudes and other campers with worse attitudes.
You sound like a bundle of fun,,,BUSBY.:)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You sound like a bundle of fun,,,BUSBY.:)

I am (y):D

That's why I won't set foot on the horrible soulless club sites where fun of any kind is expressly prohibited by rule 39.7 in Norman's rule book

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back