Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
hi everyone, does anyone have any experience of taking their motorhome and travelling in Russia?

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I've not long got my MH so still have to venture to all these "Lovely places" so ill watch this thread with interest.

OP
OP
Our Bumble

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well Russia will be a new one for us Bart, so more than welcome to join us and share the new experience :) The more the merrier :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
No experience, but of course you would have to sort special insurance because it is outside of the EU. Not sure what it would cost, but certainly be high on my list of places to visit! :D

OP
OP
Our Bumble

Our Bumble

Free Member
Jul 1, 2016
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Daniel. Yes, insurance is high on the list. I have heard driving can be a challenge!

Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Insurance through caravan club covers 'western' Russia. I have ordered a green card forKaliningrad so will post if it arrives!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Tales of corrupt police demanding fines for which no receipt is given and horrendous driving by those who are sober let alone those who have been on the vodka are what I know about Russia. :)

But I'm sure you will be fine if you are careful. Just brush up on the alphabet so you can read the road signs.

Worth reading all of this too: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/russia The bit about visas doesn't seem to say if you need to apply for one in the UK or whether you can go to a Russian consulate or whatever in say Finland. Worth making a few calls if you are already outside the UK. It does warn overstaying your visa can lead to arrest so if you break down you could be in trouble.

Last edited:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I think the blog theworldisourlobster went to Russia as part of their European tour so that would be worth a look. They also have links to other blog resources that will give you further info.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
After watching all the Russian dash cam footage on YouTube, I think you are certifyable to be even considering it!

It's got to be worth it for the experience though. Good luck!:)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Driving in Russia has no attraction to me I'm afraid. Going by the youtube car cams I think insurance could be horrendous. I could think of much better places to visit. How about Afghanistan Iran or Pakistan...;):)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
You brave souls that have done Russia, we would be too nervous to go there by MH. We have visited St Peterburg by cruise ship and it was a beautiful city. Well in the centre it was not so nice on the outskirts. The border guards are scary. The people very friendly but looking at the way they drive it would scare me so much I wouldnt enjoy it. Mind you we a novices and only done one Euro trip so far :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I have driven overland to Russia, it was some years ago and in a truck. One of the first European trucks to be allowed on Russian soil. To be honest, it was a nightmare of the highest order and I am used to roadtrip nightmares. Signs you cannot read, endless paperwork, self funding insurance, bribes, lunatic drivers of the first order, fuel that blocked up filters, thieves, bandits, people that carry guns like we carry mobile phones, constant road checks for paperwork, impossible to get decent medical cover or care, visa unacceptable in most places so large quantities of cash have to be carried and that is only the start. Good luck, I hope I have not put you off.
PS, If you have ever seen a Russian registered truck in Europe, you will notice it is a strange camouflage dirt colour and carries snow chains and a strong drag bar. The reason behind this is that much of the roads get washed away and that camo is not paint, its road surface.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I knew a trucker that went regularly, he took twice as much money for bribes as he needed for fuel, no credit/debit cards just cash in a money belt he never took off. He was paid an awful lot of money to do those trips and by the stories he told he earned every penny.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I knew a trucker that went regularly, he took twice as much money for bribes as he needed for fuel, no credit/debit cards just cash in a money belt he never took off. He was paid an awful lot of money to do those trips and by the stories he told he earned every penny.

This is the main problem, carrying of large amounts of cash. All the undesirables know that you are carrying cash and as there are few motorhomes driving around in Russia you will stand out like a sore thumb.
Gone are the days when a packet of Marlboro or a pair of old Levis would get you out of trouble. They want cash nowadays, and only Euros or American dollars. I still know a couple of guys doing the Russian work, but they are paid extremely well for there trouble and have large company backup if there is a problem. I know one thing for sure, if you asked them to go on holiday there, the answer would not be the one you wanted.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I wont visit Russia until it's been nuked. (y)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi bumble Magbaztravels.com who seem to have been everywhere twice :) but not Russia provide this link to Jill and Perrys .pdf of their trip to Russia in 2009, a bit out of date but some will still be relevant.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why would you want to?

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
It wouldn't be high on my list of places to visit though reading the blog was very informative and interesting . Just not my cup of tea destination wise .

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Pax Romana? (y)

Not really. When you get one side that's quite happy for a bit of Pax, but the other side just wants a large slice of your butt, then fine.....Nuke em 'til they glow green. :)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Pax Romana? (y)

Not really. When you get one side that's quite happy for a bit of Pax, but the other side just wants a large slice of your butt, then fine.....Nuke em 'til they glow green. :)

Tacitus: They made a desert and called it peace. :)

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
I'd be very cautious about going to Russia in a motorhome right now. If you get in trouble even if it's not your fault, the authorities will never back you and as has been alluded to the country is pretty corrupt. If that doesn't put you off then just think what happened recently to England fans at Euro 2016 at the hands of Russian thugs who went solely for the purpose of committing murder against the English. Go on youtube and this sort of behaviour is commonplace in that country, and I'm sure they'd leap at the chance to dish out some punishment to an isolated visitor with an expensive motorhome in their country, and they'd probably get away with it too - Putin would see to that.
I'd love to visit Russia myself, but if I ever do it'll be accompanied on a tour.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
hi everyone, does anyone have any experience of taking their motorhome and travelling in Russia?
Are you the same 'Bumbles' that have met up with the 'Our Tour Trio' Jay Ju and Cha................if so you will not need any advice from on here.

I would imagine if it can be done the Our Tour Trio woul have bagged it by now and wrote the blog.

If you are not the same 'Bumbles' as i suspect then look up 'Our Tour' and ask them for advice.
http://ourtour.co.uk/home/

Reactions: DBK

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you do go get a photo-shopped picture of you shaking Putin's hand, at some sort of meeting. It might be false but no Russian cop is going to take the chance that you are not friends with him. It used to work in Franco's day with a photo taken with the King of Spain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back