Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We have parked in sandy, gritty and muddy areas many times. Whenever we climb in through the leisure door a fair amount of debris gets left on the carpet rather than the mat.

I was in IKEA the other day and spotted a cheap doormat with sticky up bristles. It occurred to me that I could cut it in to two pieces and glue them down into the driver and passenger doorwell.

The idea being that as I climbed into the vehicle I could do a serious shoe wipe (one foot at a time) before I entered the vehicle. It does not get rid of all the detritus that could finish up on the carpet but at least there is no overspill off the mat.
IMG_7087.JPG

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Thought it was against the law to drive in bare feet? ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Could be classed as driving whilst not in full control of the vehicle - think that's what the Spanish law is based on.

But anyway - mats. Great tip, thanks. Been thinking of something similar, will call into Ikea when next passing. Another job for the list!

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Yes ... we have a double step, both fitted with Fiamma "grass" mats which keep most unwanted bits outside the van.(y)

They are easily cleaned with a hosepipe .

Our last van had a single electric step which retracted into a cassette (not the poo type!) and there was not space to fit one of these mats.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just be careful if you have dogs ... they HATE these type of mats so if they need to use the step you propose to put it on to get in or out you'll end up doing a lot of 'dog lifting'!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
That's what I have, I bought a cheap one works OK but not as good as the Fiamma one. Easy to make one from the plastic door mats that look like grass, that is what I'll do for a replacement.
Good idea.
It's too late if mat is inside

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
It does not get rid of all the detritus that could finish up on the carpet but at least there is no overspill off the mat.
I see you do have some dog poo on your drivers carpet. (y) The best thing I have ever found to instantly remove carpet stains is a wife. (y) Just say....."That drivers mat is filthy, and it smells......If anyone sees that when I post on *FUN*, they MAY get to think your a scruffy old wife"...........WHOOSH. Stain gone. :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We have parked in sandy, gritty and muddy areas many times. Whenever we climb in through the leisure door a fair amount of debris gets left on the carpet rather than the mat.

I was in IKEA the other day and spotted a cheap doormat with sticky up bristles. It occurred to me that I could cut it in to two pieces and glue them down into the driver and passenger doorwell.

The idea being that as I climbed into the vehicle I could do a serious shoe wipe (one foot at a time) before I entered the vehicle. It does not get rid of all the detritus that could finish up on the carpet but at least there is no overspill off the mat. View attachment 115959
We have the dirt grabber mats. We have 3 inside and 1/2 on each cab door. (1 cut down perfectly fitted). However, new carpets made for hab area and had to take shoes or trainers off with old mats so I think the only way I can do it this time is have an outside ablution area and then walk in handstand.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We have 2 sets of new carpets in the loft too.

I have just had artificial grass fitted and some leftover scraps. I giess with your ideas I will be making a grass cover for the electric step. Do you hold it on with cable ties or what?

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Took carpets up on both our new M/H we have owned leaving laminate floor. First one,as we did not at first realise,got marked badly. Just changed this year and again carpets in garage and went out and bought carpet squares cost £1.99 each and cut, where needed,in to make a runner the whole length of M/H which doesn't move and lovely and warm when walking on bare foot and if stained just pop another in. We bought the cab mats plus small step mats to match at one of the shows and a Fiamma step mat which is great.
Ray

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
We have 2 sets of new carpets in the loft too.

I have just had artificial grass fitted

A bit like using wallpaper to cover the cracks! Have they finished the sewer work and left you in peace at last?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have always driven our motorhomes barefoot, its not illegal in the UK. But it is in Spain so I always have a pair of boat shoes very close by was I believe sandals and flip flops are illegal to drive in too.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
A bit like using wallpaper to cover the cracks! Have they finished the sewer work and left you in peace at last?
Yes.:) well very nearly,tidying up now.

.Just brought Vanessa back on Friday to sit on the newly widened driveway. Still I can't complain at a tenner a day each one she was away.:D

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
All this talk of removing/storing/cleaning motorhome carpets confuses me.

Without my thick, rufty tufty carpet (which has been on the floor since I bought the van and has never been cleaned) collecting all those tiny, interesting bits of stuff/food matter/dead insects and the like, the "ambience" of my home's interior would be totally alien to me... ;)

JJ :cool:

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I have always driven our motorhomes barefoot, its not illegal in the UK. But it is in Spain so I always have a pair of boat shoes very close by was I believe sandals and flip flops are illegal to drive in too.
I have always driven the Motorhome bare foot, and have a pair of Crocs in the well to get out at fuel stops etc. I have noticed that most HGV drivers in Europe wear clogs which they slip off when entering the cab. In fact most truck stops in Spain sell nice clogs quite reasonable so I find it strange that it is illegal in Spain. Flip flops I can understand not bare feet, that's what we were born with. If I am not barefoot then I am probably in sandals so I am doubly stuffed.
Steve

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have always driven the Motorhome bare foot, and have a pair of Crocs in the well to get out at fuel stops etc. I have noticed that most HGV drivers in Europe wear clogs which they slip off when entering the cab. In fact most truck stops in Spain sell nice clogs quite reasonable so I find it strange that it is illegal in Spain. Flip flops I can understand not bare feet, that's what we were born with. If I am not barefoot then I am probably in sandals so I am doubly stuffed.
Steve

The Spanish and their revenue raising rules of the road. :)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I drive in bare feet so shoes stay at the door, hab door as it the only one we have.

Martin
Errrrrm. If you do drive bare foot then be carefull if driving in France because if you get stopped by the Gendarmes you could face a big fine, likewise if you drive in flip-flops

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Errrrrm. If you do drive bare foot then be carefull if driving in France because if you get stopped by the Gendarmes you could face a big fine, likewise if you drive in flip-flops

Are you sure about that? I thought the French were in the sensible camp like us and allowed barefoot driving. I know they recently banned driving in high heels.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If they catch me driving in bare feet they can have the money...

In my case, I have to get out of the driver's seat and get over to the habitation door to get out... plenty of opportunity to slip into my "Crocs" (with the heel straps).

Totally stupid law which I refuse to obey.

So there!

Yah Boo Shucks to the lot of them...

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back