Largest job and a thanks to Andy. . (1 Viewer)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
When I did my self build a few years back I wasn't convinced about solar..
After joining the forum I was gradually persuaded and installed a 100w panel at the expense of my sat dome as there wasn't room for both..
Since then I've followed threads by a number of knowledgeable folk on here and I've just finished putting 280w on my new van..
Thanks Andy @Techno for your input.. I've copied your idea for mounting and think I've used a regulator you pointed to in a number of threads..
That along with two new leisure batteries.... we'll see how it goes...
One concern I have is the panels are wired direct to battery through a controller... There are facilities in the vans power management (or so it says in the instructions ,van is a chausson 620 ) to install a solar but the dealer said max 120w I think...
Does anyone know what if any the likely problems of doing this might be...
All appears to be working but not run engine or been on hook up yet..
Appreciate any feed back if anyone has experience.
Ta Andy. .
20160716_165536.jpg

20160716_165628.jpg

20160716_165642.jpg

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
After joining the forum I was gradually persuaded and installed a 100w panel at the expense of my sat dome as there wasn't room for both..
Since then I've followed threads by a number of knowledgeable folk on here and I've just finished putting 280w on my new van..
Thanks Andy @Techno for your input.. I've copied your idea for mounting and think I've used a regulator you pointed to in a number of threads..
One concern I have is the panels are wired direct to battery through a controller... There are facilities in the vans power management (or so it says in the instructions ,van is a chausson 620 ) to install a solar but the dealer said max 120w I think...
Ta Andy. .
View attachment 115724
View attachment 115725
View attachment 115726

Andy, if i understand your question correctly, you are asking if your 280 watts of solar are ok to wire direct, via your charge controller??

I would imagine it should be ok, the 120watt max will only be if you go through the vans power management system.

One thing to check is the vans charger, will it be ok for your new battery bank?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy, if i understand your question correctly, you are asking if your 280 watts of solar are ok to wire direct, via your charge controller??
Thanks for reply bobby...
What I was trying to get over was the vehicle instructions indicate you could have problems if you do not go through their power management system with the solar,but as I wanted to fit a larger solar array I've just done it the conventional way...direct to batteries...
I was hoping someone might be able to explain the possible problems they mention with out them been specific about what they might be...
I can't see what problems it could cause bypassing their inbuilt charge controller but I'm not sure... (I've done it anyway lol )
Ta andy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @andy63 if you have a fancy box of electronics that counts the amps in and then counts them out again it will think you are running out of amps as it wont see the ones going in by the back door, if you just have something sensible like ours it couldn't give a monkeys as long as there is power, our 320watts go straight to the batteries (back door).

Martin

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
You don't say what electrical system is fitted?
Sorry Andy I didn't. . And cant remember the model its a cb something But if I have a problem I'll get back with that info..

Hi @andy63 if you have a fancy box of electronics that counts the amps in and then counts them out again it will think you are running out of amps as it wont see the ones going in by the back door, if you just have something sensible like ours it couldn't give a monkeys as long as there is power, our 320watts go straight to the batteries (back door).

Martin
Thanks Martin I see what you mean ..don't think mine monitors that information.. certainly doesn't display it anywhere...

Andy.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry Andy I didn't. . And cant remember the model its a cb something But if I have a problem I'll get back with that info..

Thanks Martin I see what you mean ..don't think mine monitors that information.. certainly doesn't display it anywhere...

Andy.
If its doesn't display battery capacity remaining it be wont be gathering the information so it should not care where the power comes from.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Looks good Andy, we have a much lesser solar panel input, but the installer couldn't wire it through our controller, the only oddity we get, which I think is down to solar, when we start up, sometimes the controller tells me we are still hooked up, even though the little symbol says it isn't. I have presumed this might be due to the unexpected input ? :)

edit - it does only seem to apply on really sunny days

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
with out the electrics recording your every amp how will you come back to brag how good it is in the real world you will find it just works and flat batteries and dim lights will be a distant memory

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Ta Andy. .
View attachment 115724
View attachment 115725
View attachment 115726
Where the hell did you get that white roof from? Very tidy pal :cooler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries