Hymer MLT advice on awning needed (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Having had a trawl of vans, we settled on the idea of a Hymer MLT-580, love our 504CL, but problems dictate I look at an automatic. Anyway, the 580 seemed to do everything for us, ready to put money down and they had someone interested in our trade-in, when I asked about fitting an awning track (We use a Kampa Motor Rally). Ah problem, the salesman says, you realise it will stop midway over the habitation door due to the design, so bit of a problem to use your awning as the habitation door will not open - had this before he tells us (at least honest). So we left to think about it.
Image below, we realised that many vans of this design must suffer the same issue, anyone got any sensible advice. Thanks.

mlt-1s.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What about the ML-I 580, same size & layout but being an A Class it solves the problem as the sides are flat for the full length.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Awning track:Eeek:
Fit a "Proper Fiamma wind out awning and overshoot the hab door 5 or 6 inches
problem solved and it'll look right too:hi5: In my humble opinion of course
G

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a Kampa rally pro air 260 and when first tried it the end did finish over the door, I have just unscrewed the overhead wind out and slid it further forward in its mounting and that has done the trick,I have also fitted an awning rail to the underside of the wind out its much easier than using the wind outs rail(y)(y)(y)
We have an Exsis Fiat

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have a Kampa rally pro air 260 and when first tried it the end did finish over the door, I have just unscrewed the overhead wind out and slid it further forward in its mounting and that has done the trick,I have also fitted an awning rail to the underside of the wind out its much easier than using the wind outs rail(y)(y)(y)
We have an Exsis Fiat
If you mean using the figure-of-eight conversion thingy I'd agree. On the last van I did what you have done but on this one I've had a piece of correctly-sized awning stuff sewn inside the original (ie on the underside of the original when the awning is fitted). So now I can slide it in and out of any sort of track.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If you mean using the figure-of-eight conversion thingy I'd agree. On the last van I did what you have done but on this one I've had a piece of correctly-sized awning stuff sewn inside the original (ie on the underside of the original when the awning is fitted). So now I can slide it in and out of any sort of track.
No I just bought some ally awning rail and glued and screwed it to the underside of the windout.

SMUDGER2FLY

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated
Exp
Since 2011
Had this awning fitted to my 2014 hymer mlt 560. It overshoots the door by a few inches to hopefully acomodate a driveway awning (Kampa fiesta air 350) that's the plan anyway. Shows it can be done on the mlt!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back