France -drama again!! EGR related (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Every time we come away something seems to go wrong!!

So far we over the past few years we have lost a roof vent to a bird, needed to get water pump fixed and had a dint caused by a bird as well as a blowout!

This time on our adventure just as we were about to board the train the engine management light came on! Not wanting to ruin our holiday we kept going! We have made it to the South coast- med. luckily the van drove fine. I did speak to a mechanic in England.

The problem seems to be the EGR valve as its no longer making the cleaning noise when we turn the ignition off!

So do we try to get it fixed here somewhere or wing it and hope we make it back???

The campsite owner seems to think we need to go to a camping car dealer for repair here rather than a ford garage? It's a transit!

Decisions!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What did your UK mechanic say? My instinct would be if you've driven it to the Med it should be fine coming back. The egr is just an emission control thing and shouldn't make a noise, it is the dpf which can make the engine a bit noisier if it goes into a cleaning cycle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Every time we come away something seems to go wrong!!

So far we over the past few years we have lost a roof vent to a bird, needed to get water pump fixed and had a dint caused by a bird as well as a blowout!

This time on our adventure just as we were about to board the train the engine management light came on! Not wanting to ruin our holiday we kept going! We have made it to the South coast- med. luckily the van drove fine. I did speak to a mechanic in England.

The problem seems to be the EGR valve as its no longer making the cleaning noise when we turn the ignition off!

So do we try to get it fixed here somewhere or wing it and hope we make it back???

The campsite owner seems to think we need to go to a camping car dealer for repair here rather than a ford garage? It's a transit!

Decisions!
Sorry to hear that you are having problems, but please take consolation, that compared to the experiences of others, you are getting off lightly.................honestly. ;)

The reason for the site owner advising that you got to a Camper Car dealer, is possibly because of the size of vehicle. I would try to find a commercial Ford dealer myself, if a local one man band mechanic couldn't sort it out for you. Good luck (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
You should be able to go to any garage worth its salt and get them to check what the problem is by plugging in their computer. We live in a small village and the local independant garage has the kit to do it.
If, as it probably is from whaat you say, the egr valve and the system states " excess exhast gas detected" or something similar, then the garage can delete the code and the engine will run normally.
The best thing then is to go to a car accssory shop or even a large supermarket and buy some engine and exhaust cleaner.
Also a good tip is not to use supermarket diesel but fill up with fuel from aTotal, BP or Shell garage.
I've had the problem with mine for years.
A couple of years ago a garage told me I needed a new valve fitted, loads of money. But I just carried on putting in the cleaner and only last week I had a friendly mechanic strip it down and clean it and it, fingers crossed, is fine now.
One of the main reasons that the valve clogs up is that most of us drive around with the engine running at too lower revs. I"'ve been advised by my mechanic to keep the revs at least btween 2250 and 2500 revs to help stop it coking up
Good luck

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Power steering went on our Ford Transit Jumbo while we were in Montelimar, South of France 2 weeks ago. Recovery truck job. Taken to a Ford Garage just outside Montelimar. After initial grumpiness, (was his lunch hour !!! ), I have never seen such efficient and swift identification of an engine fault. No dilly dallying, he was in there, part out, part ordered, part replaced within 24 hours. Most of that was waiting for the ordered part. I'd say very skilled, so probably better off with a Ford garage ?

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
After having a couple of "EGR Excess Flow" faults, which occurred immediately after difficult hill starts, I bought this from eBay on the recommendation of the RAC man who came to my aid. He used the same gadget to reset the fault code, and I've had to do the same once or twice since. Having the fault code present and the engine warning light on didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever to the van's performance.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
To identify the EXACT cause you need a OBD engine code retrieved by any garage that has the correct kit to interrogate your vehicle.

Once you have that code you can take appropriate action, note that many cleaning agents do not survive the combustion process & as a result will not clean the EGRV, which, even with cleaners that do work, is not an instant process.

EGRV valves are normally closed at idle & whenever power is demanded & generally open during cruising speed conditions.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for the replies we are on a site for another 9 days so may try and get in looked at or at least the code read next week! We did manage 670 miles with the light on so maybe we will get back but I'm not sure it's worth the risk!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks for the replies we are on a site for another 9 days so may try and get in looked at or at least the code read next week! We did manage 670 miles with the light on so maybe we will get back but I'm not sure it's worth the risk!

If your on a site.. why not go on ebay france.. Find a OBD reader and get one delivered. Then as long as you have a smart phone or tablet load an app and read the code for yourself. See whats going on..

I had an issue with DPF sensor last year. Changed it myself and all seemed ok. Turned out not to be the correct one.
Made it all the way to Benidorm before the light came on.. Used my reader to re-set the fault.
Managed to get back to calais after the holiday but was struggling on the last day.. Morning of the ferry van would not start.!!
Luckily on the same car park at Cite Europe were 2 funsters who are in the motorhome trade. Bit of head scratching then a bright idea by Alan and we got it running... Made it home but only just ... Phew...

Here is a wifi version, same as mine.. They also do bluetooth and wired ones..

Maybe someone on the site could order if already set up and you give them the cash..

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I once had the engine management light come on, after stalling the engine. The garage told me, if there isn't actually a permanent fault, starting the engine more than four times should reset the warning, and it did! Just a thought.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Good idea re OBD reader might look into, we are also considering whether the AA or frenchequivilent would look at it.

Failing that we have decided to probably take it to get it checked next week! No rush we are on holiday after all

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Good idea re OBD reader might look into, we are also considering whether the AA or frenchequivilent would look at it.

Failing that we have decided to probably take it to get it checked next week! No rush we are on holiday after all

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Currently having a problem which the garage have now diagnosed as EGR valve related but to reassure you we were in north Norway when it first became apparent and we made it back home okay.

They've ordered a new unit of some kind but have promised to strip the valve first in case it's just sticking. They also blanked it off (which I didn't want them to do but it "cured" the symptoms although I'm left with the engine management warning light permanently on for the moment) until they get the parts.

That said, it seems that this pesky item causes different symptoms - ours was occasional misfiring, others have had more serious problems.

Bloody electronics!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm told a good way to prevent ERG problems is to drive your engine at 3000 rev's for about 20 minutes every few thousand miles. This generates a lot of heat and burns off excess soot in the valve.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back